• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it better to install the trunk lid spring with the hinges up?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
Plus, I've never done them before either....so is there a better way to get them in than fighting with them and is there one that should be in place first vs the other? They are still 'kinda' in place as of now but the lid is off the car. Was thinking about just taking them out all together but well, not sure I want to do that just yet.

What car is this?

read the FSM, the early 70’s they address this. 60’s not so much.

What car is this?

read the FSM, the early 70’s they address this. 60’s not so much.
Well, I posted in the 66-67 forum lol. It's for my 66 Belvedere....

hinges up for sure....

thumbnail_IMG_8247.jpg

I like that tool! I normally use a pointed prybar like this. Put the tip into the hole you want the spring in and pry it out and let it slide down into the new hole.

Craftsman_20_5.jpg

Who ever made that tool is brilliant, it gives you leverage but is small enough for the space you have to work in, it gives you a way to pull the lock out of it's hole... Just a great tool for what can be a dangerous job.. It was easy when I was younger but now I get hurt easier & heal much slower..

Who ever made that tool is brilliant, it gives you leverage but is small enough for the space you have to work in, it gives you a way to pull the lock out of it's hole... Just a great tool for what can be a dangerous job.. It was eay when I was younger but now I get hurt easier & heal much slower..
Being 72 now I know what you are talking about!!!

Well, not quite ready to do them yet but have this page 'watched' ......again, I'll be a one man band installing them and the deck lid but this isn't the first time to install hoods and lids by myself. Maybe I need to get a lid.....jk jk

I'll second the dangerous statement! 2009 and still not back to normal. Very close though.
Mike
IMG_0450.JPG

Absolutely. I'll get back out to the shop tomorrow and measure it. I basically built this by testing it right on my springs.
Wouldn't mind getting the measurements too while you're at it....

When I did my springs didn't know what was used to release them from their holes. Thinking the rod resembled a pipe, albeit a small one, The pipe wrench popped into my fragile brain patterns and the 10" pipe wrench did the job, on and off with no drama whatsoever.
But I like the homemade tool too as it looks to be able to ease the process.

Auto Transport Service
Back