• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth a rebuild

Michael789

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning a stroker build probably this summer and I'm going the 400 route, after lots of searching for the thick main 230 block I might have found one the only problem is it's froze up or locked up. The guy wants 200 for the motor but what kind of chance is this thing going to be usable? Anyone out there that's been able to break free a motor and still be able to use it? Or better yet anyone here got one? Lol any input is welcome.

I once had a ski-boat with little 260 ford v8 that had been sitting with the heads off and had rusted stuck. I soaked the pistons and cylinders for a couple weeks with wd40, cleaned the rust/trash out, then broke it loose with a pipe on a breaker bar. I put the rebuilt heads on along with a holley 500 2-bbl. The motor seemed to have a mild cam and ran like a bat outa hell for years after. I say go for it! I have a 400/512 on the drawing board myself.

I had to break a piston loose on a 440 and the cylinder cracked. Its a chance you have to take to find out.

Yeah that's what I was thinking take the chance and see,thanks for the opinions guys.

Measure the bore first to find out where it's at from stock. If it's stock bore, you are probably talking 0.030 overfor the re-build. Go for it!

I had to destroy the pistons to get them out of my 400 but she cleaned up nicely, I've got over 6,000 trouble free miles on it now. If it's already bored more than .030" I'd steer clear of it but most 400s can go .060" over.

Auto Transport Service
Back