• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Alive!! After being dead for 20 years

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:01 PM
Reaction score
After 20 years of sitting dormant in my garage and going through a comprehensive 5 year restoration, my 1964 Polara went around the block today under its own power. I just went through a month of trying to find oil pressure for it. It turns out the car likes Wix filters, instead of Fram. I have no exhaust on it yet, so the 440 is pretty noisy.
Some things I discovered on my test drive, and have to be addressed:
1. power brakes did not inspire much confidence, so may have to be rebled.
2. power steering needs to have air burped out of it.
3. spring clamp on top rad hose leaks. I think rad hoses are not as thick as they used to be. As much as I don't want to, I'll replace it with a gear clamp.
4. steering wheel not centered.
5. console tach not working. I rebuilt the S.U. with a kit.
On the plus side, the engine starts and runs well. 70 psi. on mechanical gauge. Voltmeter reads 13.5 - 14.0 V. Transmission shifts through the gears smoothly. I hope to get head pipes bent and exhaust installed next week. My buddy that helped push it out of the garage and get it running today said it looked great going down the road. He has a '62 Dart Maxie clone that I have helped him with, in the same shade of Flame Red. I took pictures and will post later.
My wife did a short video of us getting it running, and will try to post it as well.

Last edited:
Sounds good, now fix the bugs and you will be there!

After 20 years of sitting dormant in my garage and going through a comprehensive 5 year restoration, my 1964 Polara went around the block today under its own power. I just went through a month of trying to find oil pressure for it. It turns out the car likes Wix filters, instead of Fram. I have no exhaust on it yet, so the 440 is pretty noisy.
Some things I discovered on my test drive, and have to be addressed:
1. power brakes did not inspire much confidence, so may have to be rebled.
2. power steering needs to have air burped out of it.
3. spring clamp on top rad hose leaks. I think rad hoses are not as thick as they used to be. As much as I don't want to, I'll replace it with a gear clamp.
4. steering wheel not centered.
5. console tach not working. I rebuilt the S.U. with a kit.
On the plus side, the engine starts and runs well. 70 psi. on mechanical gauge. Voltmeter reads 13.5 - 14.0 V. Transmission shifts through the gears smoothly. I hope to get head pipes bent and exhaust installed next week. My buddy that helped push it out of the garage and get it running today said it looked great going down the road. He has a '62 Dart Maxie clone that I have helped him with, in the same shade of Flame Red. I took pictures and will post later.
My wife did a short video of us getting it running, and will try to post it as well.
Have you considered a Gates Power Grip hose clamp? Spring equipped worm clamps are also available.
Mike

Thats great I know the feeling. Felt great when my charger started after sitting in a field since 2006. Now post some pics of that baby.

I could not get a video to load, so here are some pictures instead.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Thanks for the interest shown in my '64 Polara, guys (and gal). I really appreciate it. It has been a long haul. I haven't figured out the video thing yet. Please stay tuned. LOL

That interior is really sharp Dave. Are the red inserts factory?

Hi Dave. No they are not. I once had a U.S. Polara 4-door hardtop parts car. It had factory air and tinted glass, which I put on my Polara years ago. The factory air never really worked right, so I have replaced it with Vintage Air. This parts car had a red interior that was much more ornate than the Canadian interior. I used the fancier U.S. door panels by masking some of the red areas near the chrome accents, and dying the rest black, to bring some of the exterior colour inside. I have had nothing but positive comments on this feature. I also used the longer front door armrests on the rear doors. They bolted right on. The U.S.parts car also had much more interior chrome that I have used as well. Thanks for noticing.

Last edited:
Beautiful! It’s so kool to see a 4 door hardtop B Body! GM made intermediates up until ‘72 if I’m not mistaken.

GM referred to their early '60's 4-door hardtops as "Sport Sedans". I would like to appropriate that term for my car! I was not really looking for a 4 door car when I found this, but I knew the wacky (for a 4 door) interior made it special, so I grabbed it. About 10 years earlier, I had owned a similar 1963 Dodge 4-door hardtop with the Sports Package bucket seat interior. We did not have a Polara series in Canada, yet, in 1963. That year, our top line Dodge was a "440" series, with trim being a mash-up of U. S. 440 and Polara pieces. It had bucket seats that resembled 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury seats (as does my 1964 Polara), with the short glove box between them. Push buttons on the dash.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back