• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just before the snow comes down

oldbee

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
How many remember studded snow tires? Remember shooting those studs into snow tires AND seeing grooves cut into pavement from spinning the tires!
Had a gas station for a couple years, close to Akron,Oh. One of the customers was an engineer at Goodyear, they used to test winter tires at Kent State Univ. ice rink.
He owned an early Camaro with a whole set of Goodyear F-32’s. They were top of the line tire at that time for winter.
Was quite a time to be living in Akron with all the tire companies really going to the max. This was late 60’s-early 70’s.

They are still in use in BC but have to remove out of season

Trying to forget. Customer comes in right before winter and you had to install them, then in the spring they wanted them removed. Couldn't just get a second set of rims with snow tires. :rolleyes:

There's groves in the up hill part of my concrete driveway. Where the downspout and sump pump had water running out on it when I first bought the place.

On a rare occasion I'll hear a set going down the road around here in the winter. They're slippery to have on your car when the roads are dry!

They still have them around here. Especially on front-wheel-drive vehicles. I can always hear the difference. I have to say almost all households have at least one four-wheel-drive vehicle. The snow gets pretty deep here and it's hilly. We have a big hill by our house. It's always full of stuck BMWs and Porches when it snows.

Last edited:
How many remember studded snow tires? Remember shooting those studs into snow tires AND seeing grooves cut into pavement from spinning the tires!
Had a gas station for a couple years, close to Akron,Oh. One of the customers was an engineer at Goodyear, they used to test winter tires at Kent State Univ. ice rink.
He owned an early Camaro with a whole set of Goodyear F-32’s. They were top of the line tire at that time for winter.
Was quite a time to be living in Akron with all the tire companies really going to the max. This was late 60’s-early 70’s.
Just before the snow comes down? It's still summer....when do you anticipate your first snowfall?

Not needed here. No snow unless you drive 4+ hours away.

C3AFEA08-7E50-41D0-81B9-9B9C5791A9F2.jpeg

We used to run studded tires for several years on our rear wheel drive cars and pickups, After we started useing 4x4s we didn't use them much.
Thanks, lol, been awhile since I thought of them.

I didn't have studs but I had some narrow *** snows on my 69 Road Runner. It was all jacked up with torsion bars and air shocks and it plowed through the deep snow like a Ski Doo!

I'm in Northern Canada and I purchased a stud gun a few years ago so I could stud my own tires....wasn't cheap but it's paid for itself many times over. Winter tires are generally cheaper if they are not studded, but usually have the stud holes already in the tire so I buy cases of various size studs and filler er up! Most tires I've done are 14" to 17" and they use about 75-125 studs per tire.

And nice thing about having my own stud gun is I can swap out the studs every couple years as the tires wear and the studs dull. and it's almost like a new set of winter tires.;)

FAI5r5lh.jpg

W6quH6Wh.jpg

Tires for the wife's car...old worn studs on the right, fresh studs on the left.

lfSxiVWh.jpg

the last time I saw studs on a car was on my dads 65 Galaxie! I still remember the noise running down the highway!
you havn't seen grooves in cement until you run a sled with 200hp and 200 picks! I pulled up to my front walkway to get something out of the house and later when I came back the patio slabs had an antislip surface applied to them!

I have no idea if we still can use them here in Missouri, my dad did every winter. They had to be off the car by a curtain time. They played hell on the roads, especially asphalt. Thanks for the trip back!!

I had them on the front of my Corolla a few years ago.

People use them every year here in Vermont. I don't use them, but many do. Noisy bastards. There's always a few who fail to take them off in the spring.

Just before the snow comes down? It's still summer....when do you anticipate your first snowfall?
Had a couple brewski’s last night & it just popped into my head!! Snow? Maybe December.

I'm in Northern Canada and I purchased a stud gun a few years ago so I could stud my own tires....wasn't cheap but it's paid for itself many times over. Winter tires are generally cheaper if they are not studded, but usually have the stud holes already in the tire so I buy cases of various size studs and filler er up! Most tires I've done are 14" to 17" and they use about 75-125 studs per tire.

And nice thing about having my own stud gun is I can swap out the studs every couple years as the tires wear and the studs dull. and it's almost like a new set of winter tires.;)

View attachment 1335764

View attachment 1335765

Tires for the wife's car...old worn studs on the right, fresh studs on the left.

View attachment 1335766
I've never heard of restudding a tire.
How long to get them all out of one tire??

Senior year of high school my brother and I were driving or 72 Satelite/RR in the winter and Dad wanted us to have studded snow tires. We can home from school are he had mounted UGLY mud and snow tires (like you would see on a old jeep or power wagon) with studs.

We drove it all winter. Come early that spring, snow was gone, but still had them on. On our way to a college entrance exam with that car, nearly there, one of us realized we had forgotten a drivers license to take the exam. Got home and looked at the clock and we (brother and I) had 7 minutes to get to the exam, but it was 15 miles away! We made it in just over 7 minutes.. studded snow tires make quite a racket at 130+ mph! :) RrrowrowrowrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRR!

Dad still puts studded snow tires on his cars…

Last edited:
I have 4wds (99 Dakota SLT & 02 F350 Dually 4x4s)
both with limited slips front & rear
I don't drive (RR) my car in that stuff, anymore... No Need
I have used studded tires when I live in Alaska
lots of ice, black ice

My sister wrecked her "new' 84 Chrysler Laser, 2 times in 2 years,
even with using "new" studded all-weather tires
& she was used to driving on ice, once on a downhill stretch
sliding into another car, the other spinning out, hitting both sides
on the C-street bridge, side going into Elmendorf AF base
I had (or her she borrowed them while hers was in the shop)
no issues driving with my 77 Trailduster or 84 SR5 Yota 4x4
both had really good BFG Radial T/A Mud Terrain 33x12.5 tires
I was nervous about having her drive either of them,
but I cared more about the kids' safety

We get plenty of snow here too, 'feet' not inches,
but it's not as icy here
I just don't find the need for studs on either of my 4wds anymore
farther upcountry if I was going up & down the mountain daily,
I probably would

I hear people driving with them around me,
usually some Jap crap box
even on a sunny clear day, lil' to no ice,
Ice a few places where it's shaded all day
or where runoff crossed the roads,
just be aware, don't drive like a clueless dick
we have good weather most of the times,
even after snows, several feet of it

changing tires several times a year doesn't appeal to me
not anymore

I did use them for a while, here after a couple of years, I quit
just an expense I don't really need, or warranted

really icy condition it's a good idea, especially 2wd fwd or rwd
even with aggressive snow treads

I hope I didn't just jinx myself :poke:

Last edited:
Hard to believe it today, but in the late 70s I ran studded snow tires on my first GTX. I had them mounted on a set of chrome reverse wheels, and swapped them with the factory road wheels every spring and fall. Christmas vacation in 1977, my sister's boyfriend showed up with a new Trans Am, and I ran a quarter mile with him on a local back road. With those studded tires digging ruts and going nowhere, I lost half a dozen car lengths out of the hole, but he was in my rear view mirror once I got wound up in second. I gave the wheels and snow tires to a fellow GTX owner when I retired my car from daily use, and his GTX finished them off, before he retired it in 1984.

I've never heard of restudding a tire.
How long to get them all out of one tire??

To re-stud a tire...probably less than 30 min to pull all the old studs with a couple small screwdrivers, then just measure the tread depth and choose the right wheel stud and install new studs....so maybe 45 min or so do one tire.

I'm sure the tire manufacturers will claim that your can't or shouldn't do it but I've done several sets with no issues at all. I've even studded tires that I've bought used, they had the holes for studs but had been used at least one winter and now the holes were full of small rocks and debris...those take a bit longer because you now have to clean out each stud hole then blow out with compressed air before you can install the new stud.

Auto Transport Service
Back