• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Call Me a "Doubting Thomas"

Dibbons

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone really documented/proven these silly stories about dealers removing the Superbird nose and/or wing to make the new vehicle more sale-able? I just don't believe those stories to be true, but with adequate proof you can correct my misconceptions.

The dealer would lose too much money on all that work.

The only “converted” Superbird I know of was a result of a wreck and a used Road Runner front clip was installed

FB_IMG_1486058708985.jpg

I think this was a result of an accident too. Last I heard of it, it was being used for a dog house. There's a 70's van style sunroof in the top and the RR hood is cut for a homemade tunnel ram.

View attachment 1208418
I think this was a result of an accident too. Last I heard of it, it was being used for a dog house. There's a 70's van style sunroof in the top and the RR hood is cut for a homemade tunnel ram.

Wow, really? It's still worth a few bucks isn't it? More than the cost of a dog house.

Wow, really? It's still worth a few bucks isn't it? More than the cost of a dog house.
There is a long story behind that one. I have chased it for 30 years and was only allowed on the property once. It's owned by a black fellow maybe a few years younger than me. The rumor through the grapevine is that a white person will never own it. I had a black friend that I told the location to, that has the money and resources to purchase and restore the car. He went down there and only a few minutes later was called a Uncle Tom and ran off with a shotgun.

There is a long story behind that one. I have chased it for 30 years and was only allowed on the property once. It's owned by a black fellow maybe a few years younger than me. The rumor through the grapevine is that a white person will never own it. I had a black friend that I told the location to, that has the money and resources to purchase and restore the car. He went down there and only a few minutes later was called a Uncle Tom and ran off with a shotgun.

Clown show...I've heard about a 69 Charger in a similar situation. I tried to buy it.

Has anyone really documented/proven these silly stories about dealers removing the Superbird nose and/or wing to make the new vehicle more sale-able? I just don't believe those stories to be true, but with adequate proof you can correct my misconceptions.
I remember reading an article a few years ago about a Superbird that was de-nosed, and de-winged in order to sell it. I can't find that article right now, but it was posted on a site like this one....maybe even this one. There was even a picture or two with that article.

btw... :xscuseless:

upload_2021-12-16_19-33-27.png

Back in the 1980s, there used to be a b5 blue 70 Road Runner running around in my area with a wing, but no nose. I saw it on a used car lot around 1989 or so, and checked it out. The sales guy claimed it was a real Superbird with a RR front clip, and had a high price on it. He got pissed off when I pointed out the standard B Body rear window and the 383.

With all the front sheet metal and related hardware, including the wiring, removed. My Charger and Satellite look the same. However, none of the parts interchange. The Superbird is the same way compared to a Belvedere. So after the dealer ordered all those different parts, now assuming he’s had the Superbird for a while. He has a leftover 1970 Road Runner that he also had to do extensive paint work to make it look new. Sounds like a major loss, including labor. Kinda dumb.:D

Post #6 looks like a flat hood to me.

Car also has side molding and it looks super straight (like a factory install).
It also has wheel well trim. was that optional on a SB?
Of course, we can't see the rear window.

Unless you've seen the VIN, I'd suspect that's a Satellite with a wing added.

Last edited:
I was working at a Chry-Ply dealer in '69 and did a new car service on a B5 Superbird, I remember all the attention that car got. It was put on the show room floor where is sat till the '71's came out and then it was put in the shop with a cover over it. The Dealer said he would make me a good "deal" on it. There was no way I was going to buy that ugly duckling!!!!:eek: I don't remember what happened to it but it sat for a long time!! I am sure there were no mods made to it. Ps I got to test drive it and it sure hugged the road a higher speeds,:)!

Buffalo NY in early-mid 70’s. Guy had a blue superbird and did in fact remove the front clip and wing. Sold them off.

It just wouldn't make sense financially to convert one to a Runner. The dealer would lose less money selling parts off one to bodyshops back then to repair wrecks.
I remember when the 1980 Ferd pickups came out, a local autowrecker actually bought a few new ones to part out and made money on them.

The story came from a guy who worked at a Chrysler Plymouth dealer,that recalled seeing the guys from the bodyshop throwing a wing and nosecone assembly in the dumpster,because the dealers owner couldn't sell the car. The myth that this was standard practice and many dealerships grew from this story. The truth is that most wingcars found with standard Charger or Road Runner noses on the was usually caused by accident damage,and the cost and lack of availibile replacement aero parts.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back