• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keep burning Voltage Regulators

Somewhere in this car's life time, an electric choke was added.
The power wire for the choke is connect to the VR.
When cold, the choke keeps pulling power making VR work to supply.
Suggestions on where to move choke power supply wire that works with ignition?

Electric choke is generally hooked up to the feed at the ballast resistor. Definitely shouldn't be hooked to the VR !

The feed side of the voltage regulator is the same as the feed for the ballast resistor.
Just depends if it was connected to feed or output side.

By "Feed" do you mean J3-14BR?

Screenshot 2023-11-06 090526.png

Replaced my distributor with a kit from Summit racing. Got wiring and the voltage regulator with it also. Have no problems with it wanting to burn up. Also have electric choke on my carburetor with no issues. One wire alternator or two wire. Nonpoint distributor it is electronic also. Know this is driving you crazy hope you get it worked out.

I bought an ebay electronic Chinese special that replaces the ‘61-‘69 mechanical points original, and it’s been working great for almost a year on my daily “everyday” ‘68 Satellite. I think it was $17. I tried a USA Standard OG type, and it burned out in a day.

As a bonus, it cured the flickering lights at idle, and the jumpy amp gauge.

throwing this out there to consider all possibilities - doesn't the VR make ground contact at the firewall? It needs to be metal to metal, so unpainted at that bolt location. I just scuff mine up with steel wool around the bolt hole and it's hidden by the VR.
Yes. And the FSM doesn’t show that. My Brother had a ‘70 Challenger that would drain the battery over night. A local auto shop that specializes in electrical could not figure it out, and just attributed it to “Mopar electronics”. It was a bad VR to firewall ground.

Yes. And the FSM doesn’t show that. My Brother had a ‘70 Challenger that would drain the battery over night. A local auto shop that specializes in electrical could not figure it out, and just attributed it to “Mopar electronics”. It was a bad VR to firewall ground.
A bad ground at the voltage regulator wouldn't drain the battery?

A bad ground at the voltage regulator wouldn't drain the battery?
I fixed that and it ran fine and charged good. Maybe it wasn’t charging right before that. Idk. It’s been a while,1986. But that fixed it.

Poor body ground. Especially if you have an upgraded mod like stereo?

This was common with the big sound era of those putting high amp systems into their rides. If can't ground effectively. It will try to ground back at the source.

Lots of alternator fires where regulator is located in the alternator. Was common in 90s tuner and big sound crowd.

Battery just removed from charger, 1 year old. Ammeter shows charging (with a little fluctuation) until VR burns up.
Ballast resistor has 0.3, but service manual says it should have 0.5-0.6. Could that be part of my problem?
In this particular instance, resistance is inversely proportional to the current flow.

Yes, this is likely the cause of your regulators burning out. Too much current flow in the circuit due to lower than expected resistance.

......standing by for the tar & feathers from the experts here. :rolleyes:

Well, I disconnected the choke from where it was tied into the VR.
Double checked connectors and wiring.
Got the car started.
Alternator still showed discharge
Dash lights were never this bright, but worked good.

But the stock VR (p/n: VR101) still smoked.

With old wiring and such in the car, I may have to bite the bullet and rewire. If I do complete car, then I may avoid other problems.

You replaced the alternator.
Was there anything wrong with the old one?

I don't have the expertise of many here, and maybe this has been covered, but I did have this issue when I replaced the alternator on my 65 Coronet. The original had a single field connection, and even though the manuals at the parts stores showed this type of alternator, I got one with 2 field connections. This happened 3 times with 3 different parts stores. When I connected to one field connection and the other was open, the regulator would start to smoke. I figured out that the 2nd field connection needs to be grounded.

I don't have the expertise of many here, and maybe this has been covered, but I did have this issue when I replaced the alternator on my 65 Coronet. The original had a single field connection, and even though the manuals at the parts stores showed this type of alternator, I got one with 2 field connections. This happened 3 times with 3 different parts stores. When I connected to one field connection and the other was open, the regulator would start to smoke. I figured out that the 2nd field connection needs to be grounded.
Interesting. But is smokes with 2nd FLD grounded or not. I thought that one FLD went to ballast resistor and the other FLD went to VR.

I bought an ebay electronic Chinese special that replaces the ‘61-‘69 mechanical points original, and it’s been working great for almost a year on my daily “everyday” ‘68 Satellite. I think it was $17. I tried a USA Standard OG type, and it burned out in a day.

[/URL]

As a bonus, it cured the flickering lights at idle, and the jumpy amp gauge.
A side note on this one is I just got mine in yesterday and I don’t care for how it still jumps around. For some reason the manufacturer doesn’t want it grounded to the battery, the seller told me. They want it only to the body ground via the screws.

I always run a ground right to the VR and ECU and I have to say it doesn’t make sense as to why the ground would be different from different runs back to ground. Some weird electrical noise coming back to the battery and then transmitted out via the dedicated ground? Seller doesnt know why, only that the maker says. No paper was in the box so who knows.

just thought I’d toss that out there for anybody running one.

Auto Transport Service
Back