• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legitimate Street Car ET's

Where did you get that alternator bracket?

Just some 3/8" flat stock I had laying around, and a really long 7/16" bolt.
Just tryed to get the alternator in a place where I could get the belt to wrap around the pulley more.

It look great and I'm sure that belt stays put! Great Job!!!

That alternator set up DOES look nice and clean! By the way, which alternator and wiring harness did you use there? Thanks.

That alternator set up DOES look nice and clean! By the way, which alternator and wiring harness did you use there? Thanks.
I have spun the engine to 7,000 RPM a few times and no belt problems.
The alternator is a 136 Amp Denso from a newer truck. Stock '71 voltage regulator and alternator output split 1/2 connected to original alternator output wire, the other 1/2 connected do the starter relay through a fuseable link then that goes to the battery (in the trunk.)

Has anyone hooked up lately for a late night street brawl?

It has been a couple years but I did hook up for $40.00 against a 97 LT1 Camaro with nitrous. The Camaro did sound really good but when my big block Mopar caught second gear the race was over. My roadrunner won by 10 to 12 car lengths in a quarter mile race. I have raced much faster including a Ford Lightning truck with a supercharger. I got him too but I was in third gear before I caught him. Fast truck! There has been many others but since I've remarried I'm not as easily provoked. Tell your stories!

I can't believe no one has turned their high powered Mopar street car loose on the street at any time. No one is being provoked or has been provoked? I live basically in the backwoods and I've seen more action than you big city boys? Come on!

It's a pretty risky deal now days, were all getting older & much wiser, we don't need our cars impounded & then sold at a police auction... It's not the 70's were they slap your hand & send you home with a ticket, they will come down hard on you now, many laws have changed... I also live in the sticks & do some balls out passe once in a blue moon, but it's not worth the hassle, money & loss of property, to get caught racing on the street, like I did in my misspent youth, on every Fri. & Sat night for 10-12 years from 77-89ish... The track is much safer place to race & no problems with Johnny Law either.... Ex-Street Racer extraordinaire Budnicks...

This is so very much true and I totally agree and you won't get an argument here about that....... Every car guy (especially Mopar car guys) loves to hear about the days of old when two muscle machines were lined up on the two lane highway for honor and pride. I grew up hearing those stories and lived a few of my own as recent as a couple years ago but would love to read about some of your experiences even if it has been a while.

Last edited:
It's a pretty risky deal now days, were all getting older & much wiser, we don't need our cars impounded & then sold at a police auction... It's not the 70's were they slap your hand & send you home with a ticket, they will come down hard on you now, many laws have changed... I also live in the sticks & do some balls out passe once in a blue moon, but it's not worth the hassle, money & loss of property, to get caught racing on the street, like I did in my misspent youth, on every Fri. & Sat night for 10-12 years from 77-89ish... The track is much safer place to race & no problems with Johnny Law either.... Ex-Street Racer extraordinaire Budnicks...

++1! My time was in late 60's early 70's. Like some of you guys when I think of some of the things I did on the street, it scares the hell out of me now! I purposefully have to be real careful around my two sons and not mention some of those things because I am afraid they might try to do the same thing.

Conditions are just so much different now.

I believe I am being misunderstood. No one is breaking any laws or will be subject to the impounding of their cars by telling a story of a street race that happened many moons ago. I have impressionable kids myself but they don't know I'm on here telling you people this stuff. I'm just reliving my glory days and you are all invited to do the same. I know most of you are not street racing anymore and neither am I but it would be fun to read about those matchups you were a part of whether you won or lost.

Last edited:
yep

I believe I am being misunderstood. No one is breaking any laws or will be subject to the impounding of their cars by telling a story of a street race that happened many moons ago. I have impressionable kids myself but they don't know I'm on here telling you people this stuff. I'm just reliving my glory days and you are all invited to do the same. I know most of you are not street racing anymore and neither am I but it would be fun to read about those matchups you were a part of whether you won or lost.

:iamwithstupid: I grew up with a mid 60's street racer/part time S/S drag racer for a step father, from age 6 to 18 years old, 1965-1977 he was my biggest inspiration for cars, he was an old school type gear head thru & thru, he had mostly Pontiacs & older cars like 30's, 40's & 50's, my early favorites were his 49 Indian, a 35 Ford pick up with a Buick engine, 4spd & dana 60, light & fast as hell, also his 1st ever new car a 64 GTO 389ci 4spd 4.11 posi., also his purchased new 68 Sport Satellite 383ci 4bbl 4spd he bought new for my mother to be the family car... I would go with him at nights, when he would pick on young guns in Pleasant Hill Ca., Concord Ca. & Walnut Creek Ca., East S.F. Bay areas trying to beat up on the old man & flag street races for him at a very young age, I loved those days... But that was a very different time & mentality towards performance cars & street racing... I remember him getting pulled over & the Police would just say "cork up those headers & take it home, or we will write you a ticket"... Can you imagine being like that now days ?, "Hell no", they would impound your car & throw your a$$ in jail.... He tought me so much & spent a ton of time with me in my youth, helping me with my many, many cars, bicycles, mini bikes, go-carts & motorcycles & teaching me how to weld, do body/paint work, engine assembly & tunning, suspension work, repairs of all kinds, most of his/our Mopars, were our family drivers when I was very young, he was kind of a GM/Ford guy....

That is great stuff! The kind of stuff they based those old car movies on. I love it!!! Thanks Budnicks!!!

I remember early 70's one night I was out moving down a few small small block Chevys in my 68 hemi roadrunner (11.90's) and my B & M ratchet shifter was coming just below the shaft to the shifter. I managed to get it to my uncle's house late that night. I stopped by after work the next day and he had already fixed it si I did not change clothes to work on it. I had my dress slacks on a dress shirt and shoes and jumped in to drive it home across town. I had 10.5 M & H Racemaster racing slicks on the rear. I was pulled over by the man and he I guess saw I was not in my usual guarb and was really civil to me and asked a lot of questions about the car, etc. Before he let me go he said take those tires off and be safe. Not even a written warning! Only time I can remember being dressed like that in that car!

I'll bet you mowed down alot of cars with that Hemi!!! Especially with those impressive e.t.'s!!!

I did some cruising back in the late '70's to very early 80's, but all I had was a 318 powered '67 Coronet. I did see some track cars with slicks come out and race really late at night. The car scene was totally dead by the mid 80's. On my 21st birthday I got caught, 60 in a 25mph zone. Was able to get probation after taking a traffic class.

I did some cruising back in the late '70's to very early 80's, but all I had was a 318 powered '67 Coronet. I did see some track cars with slicks come out and race really late at night. The car scene was totally dead by the mid 80's. On my 21st birthday I got caught, 60 in a 25mph zone. Was able to get probation after taking a traffic class.

It was 1981 when I got my license and my first car was a 67 Ford XL with a 390. That thing was geared so high it wouldn't get out of its own way. I never won a drag race with it.

Here's a tale from my youth me & one of my racing partners we will just call him Jim with a BB N20 540 Alum. Donovan 68 Camaro, would go out street racing often, usually in the Concord & Walnut Creek area of the east S.F. bay area in NorCal, Eygnatio Valley rd. or Willow Pass rd., we would also take our Outlaw Pro Stock car or my 69 RR from time to time, to a rural area in other towns, to have a grudge match with certain people that will remain first name only, Mike a guy from Orville Ca. that was a member of our fledgling, Calif. Outlaw Pro Stock Assn. {COPSA} had a early type N20 Door Slammer Camaro/OP/S car, we went to his neck of the wood, because there were some regular street races on Saturday Nights, we met up with him at his palatial beautiful mountain side home in the outskirts of the Orville area, he had a few great/fast drag cars a 39 Chevy with a 632 Sonny Lenard engine, a 55 Chevy with a Jim McCammis 540 engine & a Ex-McCammis P/M 632 Pontiac headed 82 Camaro , several of our COPSA group met us at Mikes house for a BBQ before the nights activities, A BB N20 Vega owned by the foreman of famous chassis shop from Sacramento area, his name is Jim also, another couple of guys with N20 55 Chevy's Dave & Bob, 32 Ford 426 Hemi powered Roland, a 615 BB Berreta, a 40 Blown BB Willy's & me in my primed Blown Inj. gas 540 alum. Mildon Mastodon Hemi powered, mostly fiberglass/lexan/carbon fiber 2500lb 69 RR {never finished or painted completely, before selling}, all of us trailer-ed to Mikes house, that's the unloading spot for the nights activities, we all headed out after 10:00pm to the site a couple of miles away, a wide open 3 lane rd., that was a 2 lane road with a passing lane & very wide paved shoulders, with guard rails down both sides, with a starting line & finish lines painted clearly across the road at 1/8 & 1/4 mile, Mike the great host he was, built a full functioning 12 volt battery operated Christmas tree, no staging lights really just a single bulb switch activated by the starter, for staging, for the nights racing event, we even had 20ft car lengths marks at the starting line area before & after the starting line, for giving lengths to people who won't race heads up, we all got to the site all parked together on the road side {backed in for show of course} & then patiently waited for the rest of the crowd to show, it was around 11:00pm before the bulk of the crowd started to show up, mostly young men of course, but a few mostly younger women also, {I was only 21-22 at the time} maybe only 25 cars at 1st, mostly all mid 11-13 second type street muscle cars Camaros Challengers Mustangs Chargers Fairlane's Nova's GTO's RR's V-8 Vegas & Monzas GTX's 442's GS's Cuda's even a fast Caddy & a couple of 50's & 60's cars & pick-ups etc. at 1st, then latter some of the faster 9 & 10 second back halved & tubed type cars from all over the Sacramento - S.F. bay areas showed up, maybe 35-40 cars total including our 8 cars & Mikes fleet...LOL... he had a few friends drive them out... Mike set up the tree & the festivities began, we were waiting for a couple of guys, from the Modesto & north valley that ended up being, no shows, suposed to have a big money match race with me & Mike, but the night went great with mostly no real issues, we even had a big money arm wresting competition going on, there were allot of side bets/gambling also, most of the slower cars ran 1st to get some rubber down for us faster guys, we even had a big chick/girl fight in the crowd, I never did find out what it was all about, we even supposedly had a wet T-Shirt contest, that I never saw... Once the word got out there were some 7 & 8 second cars there {this was before the cell phone rage}, tons of people from all the surrounding towns & valley started showing up, just to spectate, the scent of sex, money, booze & herbs were floating in the air freely...LOL... About 1:00am Sunday morning our group COPSA paired up with each other & made mostly 1/8mile passes, because of serious traction issues, Mike even sprayed Coke syrup earlier in the day to try to get some traction for us, each of us run 4 rounds Chicago style match race each putting in $400 into a pot, switching lanes so no one would have a unfair advantage, the night ended with no injuries no real issues, other than a big F***ing mess left by the spectating crowd, that we came & cleaned up the next morning, I made $75 on recycled aluminum...LOL... It was like a very well run NHRA race, at a sanctioned track, other than the return road was the passing lane & other than the serious traction issues of the more powerful cars, the 9-10 second cars were running extremely well, lots of N20 & ERC racing fuel used that night, from my filling station in the back of my truck, that pretty much paid for my expenses for the trip $500-$600 in N20 & 55 gallons @ $5 a ga. $275 of ERC 116 {donated from 1 of my sponsors}, I won 3 rounds of 4 rounds w/the RR, my partner Jim C. 68 Camaro won 3 round of 4, Jim B. Vega won 2 of 4 with the slowest car of our group, Mike & his cars won all 4 of his rounds in his N20 P/M Camaro, 39 Chevy & 55 Chevy, 1 beating both my RR & 1 beating Jim C. 68 Camaro with Mike's N20 82 Camaro P/M car, most of the other guys had serious traction issues, to over come... It was a great time, it was like our own personal drag race nationals, load as hell at times, I'm amazed we never had the law show up, "Mike said he took care of it", what ever that means... I think when all was done we collected $2000+ for donations towards the COPSA org. & a couple of small sponsorship's for the group, for the year, from some local business men {helped a ton that year}... I will always remember the 1 & only Orville Rural Nationals very fondly, there are probably 700-750 {not sure exactly} or so people that remember it fondly or very well also... Sorry I was never a camera/photography type guy, my former girl friend or someone else's wife usually did that stuff, I wish I had photos believe me....

Last edited:
That is an incredable write up Budnicks! Thanks for sharing those great memories with us! Sounds like the good ole days for sure!!!!!!

In the summer of 1970........

At the North End of St Louis, there was an industrial area known as Hall Street. Lots of action there. Once saw a Red,White,and Blue Duster back off a rollback & get after it. Hmmmmm???????

Auto Transport Service
Back