• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LemonWedge 470 build thread

here's what a combination of pin on and hinged looks like..RO style scoop except for the 65's.

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

Last edited:
Oh YEAH! IF I ever do the unthinkable and go with multiple carburetors OTHER than some type of 6bbl, the 6bbl being what I am dead set on using, but IF, I would really like a ported, performance massaged Cross Ram!! I believe yours is such an intake?
Trickflow 270's with an A&A crossram, .272 @ .050 ! thanks.

Trickflow 270's with an A&A crossram, .272 @ .050 ! thanks.
YES SIR! I will have the same heads whenever they get delivered :BangHead::rolleyes:...
Didn't A&A open up the runners for you or does their Cross Ram come "tweaked" as a bonus??

I bought my hood from UP22 in California . Fibreglass bolts on to stock hinges soft spring holds it up . 2 pins at front .

Tex

My hoods have only required 4 pins. 2 Front, 2 back. Good to 150mph.
Doug

Tough decisions hey LW. Good luck with whatever route you go. For me, my steel hood with the glass scoop is staying put. I thought lots about a new glass hood and scoop but nope. Weight savings is 28 lbs difference on my car, for about $2K when done. I aborted that plan, all-steel minus bumpers is kind of cool anyways.
Speaking of bumpers, wondering what your front bumper & brackets weigh. 40 lbs?

Tough decisions hey LW. Good luck with whatever route you go. For me, my steel hood with the glass scoop is staying put. I thought lots about a new glass hood and scoop but nope. Weight savings is 28 lbs difference on my car, for about $2K when done. I aborted that plan, all-steel minus bumpers is kind of cool anyways.
Speaking of bumpers, wondering what your front bumper & brackets weigh. 40 lbs?

Funny you should mention it, Malex. I was under the front of the car today eyeballing the bumper brackets. Already have a plan to Swiss-Cheese those baby’s. I figure there s about 10 lbs there.
So your scoop hood is steel / glass scoop, and your cowl is an all glass unit? If correct, how did you approach the joint between the two?

Last edited:
Funny you should mention it, Malex. I was under the front of the car today eyeballing the bumper brackets. Already have a plan to Swiss-Cheese those baby’s. I figure there s about 10 lbs there.
So your scoop hood is steel / glass scoop, and your cowl is an all glass unit? If correct, how did you approach the joint between the two?
With both scoops I secured them with 3/16” machine screws. With the cowl crap hood I removed the screws afterwards and finished the holes. The lip on the cowl is along the outside so it was easy.
With the steel hood, the VFN hemi scoop started out as a 5” and I lowered it to about 4” so the bottom lip got removed when I re-contoured it to fit the steel hood. Then I built the bottom lip back into it and then screwed down to the hood. The screws remain in there to this day. I finished along the outer joints with filler. It’s held up excellent. To do it again though I would use a thin rubber gasket to separate the 2. I’ve seen your work, you’d do a fabulous job should you tackle the task.
Front bumpers. A great place to remove weight. As far as brackets go I did something a little different. This bumper of mine was also a broken piece of dung to start with. I’ll attach a pic of it but basically what I did was encapsulate plywood to the inside and then secure home built brackets to it. Both ends are secured to each fender,
it’s rock solid up front there.
You know, you’re putting some good parts together. Low 10’s can be in range.
789FE076-31CB-4AFF-9163-69FEAA493E05.png

Another piece of the puzzle showed up, but still waiting on the cam itself. Stopped by the machine shop yesterday; they havent Gotten to my pile of parts yet. Waiting game. I’ve been away on vacation and a lot of work travel lately anyway, so not much progress to report.

9A3CE7F8-E8E1-43F3-9F24-E31A18FD04FA.jpeg

2 months since the last post, and absolutely no movement. Called the machinist for an update and he informed me that they had to move a bunch of machines due to landlord and space changes, and that was holding my crank up. I’ll stop short of calling it an excuse since I like the guy personally, but he’s way behind his promised schedule.

Howards still has not received their billet cores. Hard to hold them in contempt for that, but they did accept my order nearly 6 months ago now, at the time supplying an ETA of September. Interestingly, they said they do have “higher end cores” that could be available to me for another $100-. Again, I’ll stop short of any anger at this point, but there’s a small piece of me that thinks they should not have even made me aware of that “option”.

Merry Christmas all-

It does seem that parts availability is a severe problem. Not sure what "higher end cores" means. I know just enough about what a billet core is compared to a cast core. I find it hard to believe they can't find a length of billet steel to grind. But I may be living in the past.

2 months since the last post, and absolutely no movement. Called the machinist for an update and he informed me that they had to move a bunch of machines due to landlord and space changes, and that was holding my crank up. I’ll stop short of calling it an excuse since I like the guy personally, but he’s way behind his promised schedule.

Howards still has not received their billet cores. Hard to hold them in contempt for that, but they did accept my order nearly 6 months ago now, at the time supplying an ETA of September. Interestingly, they said they do have “higher end cores” that could be available to me for another $100-. Again, I’ll stop short of any anger at this point, but there’s a small piece of me that thinks they should not have even made me aware of that “option”.

Merry Christmas all-
All the supply issues nowadays. One really has to wonder and I’ll leave it at that. And how about customer service these days..

they said they do have “higher end cores” that could be available to me for another $100-
Bring up your "understanding and patience" in coping with a September timeline commitment they missed, so in the interest of mutual understanding, offer to SPLIT the $100 with them and get it done.

Bring up your "understanding and patience" in coping with a September timeline commitment they missed, so in the interest of mutual understanding, offer to SPLIT the $100 with them and get it done.

you are reading my mind. Don’t want to jump hoops I don’t have to just yet since the short block isn’t even here, but I will be having this very discussion with Howards as soon as they are the last item holding me up.
the only thing I can think a “higher end core” would be, since we’re talking about BBM stuff, would be for a blown nitro or alcohol (Funny car) type build. (???).

the only thing I can think a “higher end core” would be
Ask directly what the specific difference(s) are. That alone should be very "educational".
I am very busy, by appearing to run my 6½ year old, one man (me) medical equipment repair and service business. By "appearing to run" I am the only one and I do everything, but sometimes the business runs me. LOL
That in itself makes it easier to tolerate the long delays in receiving parts I've paid for, and the slow pace my builder is taking in laying out and sending me emails of "groups" of parts I still need, and how much they cost. Even the cost is an issue, because the cost may go up a significant amount between order and delivery, and my builder is selling me most of the stuff I need and at great prices, as well as working the whole build according to my financial abilities to take the next step.
Again, I should have a few major chunks of income available for the build over the next 3 months and if it's complete by September and under my hood before October, I will be ready for Cruisin the Coast 2023 and the remainder of our long drag strip season for Test and Tune "grudge" aka pick up racing.

I have never used a Howards cam, so I don't know what they make. I would surely ask what a "higher end core" really means. What is different?

Cast core vs billet?
Doug
That couldn’t be it, since my cam is a “billet core solid roller”. I asked Luke with Howards what exactly it is via email. Haven’t received an answer just yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back