• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LemonWedge 470 build thread

here's what a combination of pin on and hinged looks like..RO style scoop except for the 65's.

View attachment 1351088

View attachment 1351089

View attachment 1351167
here's what a combination of pin on and hinged looks like..RO style scoop except for the 65's.

View attachment 1351088

View attachment 1351089

View attachment 1351167

View attachment 1351169
Sure like the looks of the low scoop on this early model 65. Sweet car you have Stage 3.

More MaxWedge goodness showed up today. This time courtesy of Indy Cylinder Head. I can certainly see the cross sectional port size difference leading out of the plenum between this manifold and the M1. Not terribly impressed with the casting finish of this piece, but I plan on port matching it and cleaning the plenum up a little anyway, so I’m not really worried about it.

View attachment 1344275

View attachment 1344276
Did you order the intake with max wedge ports ? mine came with in between stock 440 & Max wedge size, I had to open up the runners. wish I would have paid more attention to your build, I would have sold you my ported Indy intake

400 indy
intakeinstall 001.JPG

intakeinstall 002.JPG

I’m now finding myself very confused and leary of this situation.

I went and scoured their website. I see nothing offering higher end camshaft materials to ”endure high levels of abuse”. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I’m already buying a billet steel core camshaft. Perhaps you guys can offer me some education?

I am generally not a guy that tends to yell fire without seeing the flames for myself. Thus far I have felt really good about my dealings with Howards. My bullshit detector would seem to be gently nudging me however, suggesting that perhaps IF they had a few cores set aside as emergency stock for special “high visibility” customers, they may tend to be reluctant to reach for that bin, and would not only be looking to make a little extra coin if they have to dip into emergency stock, but would also have to come up with some story (read b-s) about the process as well(???).

what do you guys think here.

Last edited:
I’m now finding myself very confused and leary of this situation.
View attachment 1393136

I went and scoured their website. I see nothing offering higher end camshaft materials to ”endure high levels of abuse”. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I’m already buying a billet steel core camshaft. Perhaps you guys can offer me some education?

I am generally not a guy that tends to yell fire without seeing the flames for myself. Thus far I have felt really good about my dealings with Howards. My bullshit detector would seem to be gently nudging me however, suggesting that perhaps IF they had a few cores set aside as emergency stock for special “high visibility” customers, they may tend to be reluctant to reach for that bin, and would not only be looking to make a little extra coin if they have to dip into emergency stock, but would also have to come up with some story (read b-s) about the process as well(???).

what do you guys think here.
I agree with you on your line of thought about already buying a billet cam. There’s others out there. Maybe need to put a contingency plan in place.

I agree with you on your line of thought about already buying a billet cam. There’s others out there. Maybe need to put a contingency plan in place.

the problem with going elsewhere at this point is I already have the springs and lifters for this cam. If I were go to a Comp Cam, I’d want to run comp lifters and springs specific to that cam.
I know I could return stuff…. but that’s a hassle also. Not really looking to trade one headache for another.
I think the contigiency plan at this point is to work a deal with Howards for one of the “high end” cores. The more I think about it, the more it really chaps my Hyde that I callEd them and went through the whole specifying process, never once did they mention ANYTHING about differing core material options. Now I’m supposed to pay extra?!!

Last edited:
Never dealt with Howards, so I don't know how much BS they sling. Back in the day I ran a couple Comp billet rollers & a Lunati billet roller. Pretty sure those were USA parts. These days maybe the "standard" comes from China & the "high end" are USA? I don't know. I'd ask them what the SAE rating is on the steel bar that the billet is ground from.

Update:

Now I feel a little bad about the above post. Serves me right I guess; I should have made todays phone calls before posting anything.

So I talked with my machinist and he concurred that he is aware of varying levels of billet steel that cam manufacturers typically choose between depending on application. I then called Howards direct and asked all the questions I could think of. the difference in cores is 8620 steel vs 8660 steel. They said the tipping point is typically when spring pressures get up around 1000-lbs, they move to the 8660 core For less deflection and harmonics. Since we’re only applying roughly 660lbs in my application, he never even considered it. He said there’s no down side except the cost, and he agreed to knock the price down to just cover their cost Since a I’ve been waiting for nearly 6 months, so I said Yes to this option. After having my machinist tell me of some recent cam failures he’s seen; I actually feel pretty good about this “upgrade” now.

Luke at Howard’s did tell me that while he hears other companies are getting core materials wherever they can these days, Howards made the decision to stick with their original (2) sources for quality control and business partnership reasons. He is going to put in the work order with the 8660 core, and send a cost adjustment through Summit. Hopefully I’ll have it before too long.

in the meantime, here’s what I’ve been up to: since a fresh set of headers just wasn’t in the budget this year, I decided to try wrapping my trusty Hooker Comps. I think I actually dig the look. We’ll see how this holds up until I pop for a set of 2” Doug’s or Super-Comps at some point.

D451F671-E61A-424F-8711-1A676BBC5D7D.jpeg

Mine have been wrapped for about 10 years & LOTS of spark plug changes & a motor freshen up about 4 years ago , they need redone at this point.

Lemon, Just to clarify, your machinist has actually seen billet roller cam failures?
I cannot confirm that they were billet cores. But he showed me pictures of (2) recent roller cam failures @ engines he built. Both just plain broken. Both recent builds that would have been considered “fresh“ motors. Both Comp Cams solid roller products.
He felt that with todays supply chain quality issues, going with the higher end core was cheap insurance.

I'm sure your machinist knows a lot more than I do. As far as billet rollers, I'm livin in the past.
Hopefully the "high end" core does have better quality.

I don't know what core Comp uses. But my cam has over 850 passes. 285/292, .471 lobe. Spring pressure 305/810.
Doug

I don't know what core Comp uses. But my cam has over 850 passes. 285/292, .471 lobe. Spring pressure 305/810.
Doug

with those spring pressures, That’s a pretty strong testament, Doug. I assume you’ve had that cam for a number of years. It would be interesting to know what the industry standard is in core material.
I had never seen a cam simply break in two before I saw those pictures.

with those spring pressures, That’s a pretty strong testament, Doug. I assume you’ve had that cam for a number of years. It would be interesting to know what the industry standard is in core material.
I had never seen a cam simply break in two before I saw those pictures.
I’ve had a camshaft bust in 2, it all started with a dropped valve.

Cam is finally on its way, as I now have package tracking info from Summit. And with a little surprise….
When I paid for the upgraded core, I then got a call from Howards a few days later. They were calling to verify specs one last time before production, since it was now a “custom order”. Earlier in this process I had been very conservative with cam choice, wanting to make sure I didn’t give away too much torque since my car is somewhat heavy. Probably too conservative. I asked if I now had the ability to adjust the specs the answer was yes, so I moved to it to the following: 263* / 269* & .682 / .688 (with 1.6 rockers). Essentially 1 size larger on both lobes, but this spec combo was not available with a catalog item.
I’m now pretty happy about the way this evloved. Now if I can just get my machinist to get my stuff done, we’ll be on to some fun times.
Going to clean up in the shop and fit the transmission blanket this weekend.

HAPPY 2023, all!!

Seems to me, cam selection is almost always a bit of a guessing game. What looks good on the dyno may not really work at the track. That cam does look really good.

Auto Transport Service
Back