• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LemonWedge 470 build thread

Are you going to run a Mellonized oil/dist drive gear rather than a bronze one?

what was the installed C/L of your cam straight up? Did you install for more low end?
110 C/L installed height is what the card spec’d. V/P clearance was too close for my comfort though.
108 opened it up and put it into spec. I can’t recall exact numbers anymore. Man, guess that was about 6 years ago now.

Your "cam core upgrade so it can be done rather than still waiting" story, and me seeing TrickFlow 270s in stock available for sale prompted me to check with my builder on my 270s.
Apparently everyone is "in the same line" regardless of dealer, reseller, or retail status. That means you get them according to when you paid for them. What matters is I (his shop) doesn't have mine yet..
I guess that's a reason why I encouraged you to do what you could to help keep your build going forward.

440 Source has 270’s in stock. Have had for a long while. If you’re currently waiting on a set from someone else, you’re missing the boat. They stock the “hydraulic roller” version, but the only difference in any of them is the springs. I knew I was going to use springs spec’d by Howard’s anyway, so the difference was of no consequence to me.

Last edited:
440 Source has 270’s in stock. Have had for a long while. If you’re currently waiting on a set from someone else, you’re missing the boat. They stock the “hydraulic roller” version, but the only difference in any of them is the springs.
Well, I'm getting great pricing from him, but I may find I'd rather pay more than wait, but the "wait" isn't specified, and he's my builder that I don't want to lose, so it's more "complicated" than I thought it would be.
Thanks though, I appreciate it.

It is really important to have a builder you trust.
He has also been working within parameters I discussed with him from the beginning, that I wanted to start the collection of parts for my build with the Bill Mitchell RB block, and go from there as my budget would allow.
His pricing structure and the recent price increase on the BMP block saved me a substantial chunk of change, along with just about everything else.
I encouraged you to do what you could regarding the cam core "upgrade" price difference just because it seems like forward momentum in engine builds is hard to maintain with lots of builders, customers, and parts manufacturers.
From my perspective, I see time passing by, missed opportunities to take my car to different events that the 572 would be nice to have for, and turning 61 this month, the "saving time vs saving money" balance is shifting.

There's no good time for 'Machine Shop Jail'
spend a few extra 50's $$s if need be
no fun waiting to use all the **** you paid for 'a long time ago'
(sometimes at "no fault of the machine shop", sometimes "it totally is" too,
no matter how "good" or friendly they are
)
git r' dun

Still in Machine Shop Jail, and getting more nervous about the situation by the day.

Making progress where I can though. Got my transmission blanket fitted this weekend; had to re-route my cooler lines to do so which is all -6 braided hose and AN fittings. I’ve had this blanket for a while, but just now getting it installed feels like good progress.
Also getting started on port-matching my Indy intake to the heads. Will be cleaning up the plenum as well, more pics to come as this job unfolds.
Below is a look at the 270 port against what is a max-wedge gasket, followed by the Indy Intake ports against the same gasket, then my porting template. I can only assume that the gasket is pretty close to an actual MW port. So the 270 is slightly shorter, but with todays technology, I‘m guessing it outflows a factory MW port by a ways.

A2D68A53-F4CD-4D6D-9628-D9731203E6C9.jpeg

DA195837-1F3A-407E-A7F5-2DB0C4E26339.jpeg

2417B218-4C3B-4258-97E0-27C1E172A724.jpeg

0175204F-EE45-411B-A19B-0845408EC5C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Still in Machine Shop Jail, and getting more nervous about the situation by the day.

Making progress where I can though. Got my transmission blanket fitted this weekend; had to re-route my cooler lines to do so which is all -6 braided hose and AN fittings. I’ve had this blanket for a while, but just now getting it installed feels like good progress.
Also getting started on port-matching my Indy intake to the heads. Will be cleaning up the plenum as well, more pics to come as this job unfolds.
Below is a look at the 270 port against what is a max-wedge gasket. I can only assume that the gasket is pretty close to an actual MW port. So the 270 is slightly shorter, but with todays technology, I bet it outflows a factory MW port by a ways.

View attachment 1410249

View attachment 1410251

View attachment 1410252
Get some Superformance gaskets, max wedge, they are accurate size & the best gaskets ever, Hughes sells them , you will thank me later :)

Get some Superformance gaskets, max wedge, they are accurate size & the best gaskets ever, Hughes sells them , you will thank me later :)
Superformance gasket and regular Max wedge comparsion

0130231823.jpg

0130231824.jpg

0130231822a.jpg

0130231824a.jpg

I purchased the intake gaskets that TrickFlow suggests. While I’m sure the superformance gaskets are superior to these FelPros, I’ll most likely just use them.

Great news, got a call from my machinist. Crank is done. Hone is done. He’s now moving on to balancing and mocking everything up before handing it back to me for assembly. Slight issue though….. He is not comfortable with the piston clearance he’s seeing after hone @ .007. I would agree that number is excessive and could cause ring seal issues and potential skirt issues from excessive piston rock. Called the guys at Line to Line piston coatings. They say they can hit any number I want within a tolerance of .0005. So I’m thinking the pistons will go the to them For .0025 coating, to land on .0045 clearance. Thoughts?

High Performance Race Engine Coatings | 248-625-3052 | Line2Line

Anybody here used this process in the past? If so, what was your results?

Last edited:
We might wonder how the hone created so much clearance.

Its altogether possible that it was in the .006 range as assembled the last time around. I didn’t write down this measurement back then. I do remember a decent amount of piston rock

I use the Felpro MW gasket , is very good for TF270 .Also easier to get , especially here in Aus . Gasket matched my Super Victor to them . I did go about 1 1/2" up into the ports and already had done the top of intake end of the ports .

Tex

Auto Transport Service
Back