• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see your Hood Pins

65RoadRacer

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
Due to some upcoming plans, I may have to remove my hood latch and support, and thinking about some locking hood pins, anyway. I'm guessing the obvious and most likely spot for hood pins on a 65 Belvedere/Satelite would be the spot where the hood bumper is up in the front corner. Giving some thought to these:

So... show me your hood pins and give me some ideas of pins you liked or hated. Thanks!

quicklatchlocking.jpg

Not the best photo but these are E body factory ones. Photo is just for location. If you want I will take better photos

IMG_1798.jpg IMG_2731.jpg

The idea of locking or non has a pro and con. Pro it locks to keep bad guys out. Con it is harder to open in a panic such as a under hood fire.
I needed a hood and I found this one at Carlisle cut for scoop and holes for the pins so I used them.

Best thing about hood pins is you can eliminate the hook of death, that sucker has bit me a few times.

I moved mine forward to the grille support. My thinking was less flex at the front of the glass hood. It has panned out after 5 years at 145+, no issues. After installing the pins they were tilted forward. Placing an extension inserted into a deep well socket over the pin and pulling them forward. This allowed the pin to be 90 degrees to the tilted front edge of the hood. The rear pins were to long, the fronts to short. A threaded adapter used the cut off portion of the rear pin to extend the front. The are the low cost aluminum ones available from Summit.
Doug

A12.jpg A13.jpg A14.jpg

The idea of locking or non has a pro and con. Pro it locks to keep bad guys out. Con it is harder to open in a panic such as a under hood fire.
I needed a hood and I found this one at Carlisle cut for scoop and holes for the pins so I used them.
That's why I like the ones that I have in my post... I can lock them if I'm in an area that I don't want anyone to get to the engine, but they also work without being locked. The added benefit is that locking them will give me added security when I'm racing, that lock will not allow the pin to release.

Thanks for the pics and ideas everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back