• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets talk gas money

Whats fair?

• 30$

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90$

Votes: 19 100.0%

• Total voters

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Buddy of mine technically owes me 90$ gas money.
But he says my car uses 3 times as much gas as a "normal, modern car" and therefore thinks its "fair" to only pay me 30$.
We always split gas money 50:50 normally, no matter which car we use.

So i think its fair he pays 90$.
But he thinks its fair to just pay 30$.

I even said give me 60$ as a compromise but he insists on just paying 30$ because in his opinion only that would be "fair".

Its not so much about the money but about whats "fair".

What do you think?

I think you need a new friend.

I think you're playing fast and loose with the term "buddy". My buddies and I would be fighting over giving each other more than the other wants.

Thanks for the independent opinions.
Well thats what i already thought. :)

Fair-weather friends we call them.

Ditch him and ride solo...or pick up some nice girls....maybe some sort of payment will eventuate. :bananadance:

I recently had a buddy use his truck to run me down to LA to pick up my newly acquired mill... I filled his truck before we hit the road, filled his truck before we hit the grapevine & filled his truck when we got home.... Plus bought him breakfast & lunch.... I also took him, his wife & daughter out to dinner.... I still feel I owe him...

You need better friends...

A friend of mine named Carl {who is no longer a friend} did the same thing to me years ago but only went one better, as he refused to pay gas money at all after we had been trading off for quite awhile, and he had a lot of money! Even wrote him a letter a few weeks later giving him a chance to apologize, can you guess what happened? Have never seen him since!!! With age comes wisdom, and the excuses people are giving for their LAMENESS are unbelievable! Now on the top of the list will be this SCAMDEMIC!!!!!! You do not need a person like this in your life!

Fair-weather friends we call them.

I know (knew) such people too.
But as of today, im sure he's not one of those. (Of course this situation isolated totally sounds like it.)

I actually suspect he's maybe a little short on money due to corona. (Of course its not a nice move anyway)

I will bring this up again and see what turns out.

Gas money is gas money split evenly no matter what! If he didn't want to pay he should of took his hybrid!

I have two modern cars that get worse mpg then my old cars!
My 07 charger and 05 truck get 14 mpg
My big block Chrysler gets like 20 mpg so he's a bit off saying it's worst then newer cars !

Next time you drive, stop about 1/3 of the way there and tell him to get out and walk the last 2/3.

I like most good folks try to go above and beyond and always ask as are we even? I have some top notch friends so it’s never a game, even when trading parts or helping each other out... Friends and family are important as my Mopars! Time for some new ones if they balk...

$90-$30 is $60. You have paid $60 to never have to do another favor for a non-friend. Money well spent. You are ahead of the game.

he agreed to pay 1/2 originally, that's what he owes

he'd no longer ride in my car either
not with that attitude, reneging on a deal

pay up or shut up & drive your own car

Auto Transport Service
Back