• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lift installation question..... and tips?

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
so I have room behind my pole barn to pour a slab 20 feet deep (and 20' wide)......

and I horse traded some labor for a 2 post 9000# lift (practically new)......

the longest vehicle I ever plan to put on the lift would be my GTX or similar (just shy of 18 feet).........

the lift requires 24 feet front to back, I figure to accommodate longer vehicles such as pick up trucks. I plan on covering the lift with a car port or similar, possibly with an open end or maybe a door..... I'm thinking door, I like the air blowing through.

I think I am answering my own question while typing, bear with me......

pictured is the rear door of the shop; if I have a 18 foot car on the lift, and a closed end on the carport, I would be able to close the door with a foot to spare on each end. I can live with that........

if I have some type of door on the far end of the car port, the long truck I never intend to put on the lift can stick out on both ends; not a problem just can't shut the doors......

so yes, I think I answered my first question, lol.......

now the important question: anyone see any issues or pitfalls in my plan? or can anyone offer any tips? this plan is already in motion. I have the lift, and I cleared and cleaned the area.

IMG_20180317_235526.jpg
IMG_20180317_142601.jpg

Why not put it dead center of the slab? Then roll the other cars to the outer walls and you should have plenty of room.

Why not put it dead center of the slab? Then roll the other cars to the outer walls and you should have plenty of room.

From the little bit I can see of your shop, I think I agree with Beep! The other option is move that AMX and the Roadrunner to my shop to get them out of your way!!:rolleyes:

You're basically relegating that door to "lift only" access?

just under 10 foot ceiling, and I don't want it in my way....... it wont get much use anyway, very little actuallly.........it needs to be "out there"

here is the area from outside......... excuse any ugliness, it's been here 20 years and could use a little maintenance....... I can push a 20X20 high wall car port right up against the building..... will need a slight modification to go over the door slider. I have 21 feet between the cargo container and the little block building (compressor house)

IMG_20180320_101815.jpg

front view...... because the rear view is kinda ugly

lawnorniments3.jpg

How about in the far right corner when you are driving in from the front and install it catty corner. Or extend the slab out back and a lean too roof to cover it. This is GYC garage..

B-kYXQ4UEAIl-l0.jpg

Last edited:
When you pour your slab make sure to install a beam or a pier where the lift post are going to sit.
I think we went with a 3' sq 'x 2' deep beam/pad when we did ours. Seen several RIP the quick bolts out of 4-6" slab.

How about in the far right corner when you are driving in from the front and install it catty corner. Or extend the slab out back and a lean too roof to cover it. This is GYC garage..

View attachment 585168

it's definitely going out back, lean to roof at a minimum........ I'd like the option to close it in in the winter. I like the car port idea because it's not a "permanent" thing.

Thinking about doing the same.. Slab on the side of the house.. But being in the city limits sucks. Id have to camo the lift post to look like trees lol.

Thinking about doing the same.. Slab on the side of the house.. But being in the city limits sucks. Id have to camo the lift post to look like trees lol.

I would hate the Township snooping around, but I never hear from them...... I put a 6' stockade fence around the entire property, and the area behind the building is out of sight of anything....... I keep a pretty low profile

Are they that bad to work with to get a permit to just throw up a permanent addition? A pole building addition would be cheap and permanent. Concrete would be the biggest cost and you are already spending the $$ on that.

Are they that bad to work with to get a permit to just throw up a permanent addition? A pole building addition would be cheap and permanent. Concrete would be the biggest cost and you are already spending the $$ on that.

they let you build almost anything, but I really do NOT want them nosing around......... not looking to get my balls busted for ANYTHING

I just want an out of sight, out door lift with a roof to protect it

So.....Hoffa is buried there. I wont say a word to no-one....

If you think you might change your mind about where the lift may set, I would pour thicker cement and extra rebar in a couple of locations. Cheap to do it now.

From what I'm reading my suggestion would be do as your mentioning but I'd favor the lift towards the garage door so the nose of your car would be inside but the lift still isn't. That not being a load bearing wall I'd definitely open that door up too.20ft of depth isn't a comfortable amount of space, mines in a 34ft long garage with a 5ft deep bathroom behind it making it 29ft which to me is even minimal. You say you won't use it much but trust me you'll find all kinds of uses, polishing wheels, washing the bottom of the car, brakes, rotations, etc... since buying mine I use it all the time.

As for a footing, piers are overkill (nothing wrong with that) but most lift companies recommend 4" concrete and 3/4" wedge anchors!!!! That's ridiculous but they do it all the time. I poured a 6" thick floor with 1/2" rebar, sat the lift on epoxy grout to insure no rocking then epoxied 3/4" grade 5 all thread into the floor. The size of the footprint is important, mine being American made (shipping size not being a priority) has a 24" base. I'd recommend welding a large plate to yours if it's on the small side.

I see a spot you could put it right there where the X was sitting before you shipped it west to my shop...

Auto Transport Service
Back