• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Look what I found in the backyard of a house

usaroadrunner

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
I'm still in disbelief. But this is what I found in the back of someone's house. Not only did he have these but also a 69 charger...67 ss Chevelle....an a old 40s or 50s dodge truck. I tried to see of they would sell but we all know the answer to this....JUST SAD TO SEE THEM ROT. JUST A SHAME. PURE AMERICAN MUSCLE ROTTING.

Attachments

• 20151220_143712.jpg
    20151220_143712.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 804
I'm still in disbelief. But this is what I found in the back of someone's house. Not only did he have these but also a 69 charger...67 ss Chevelle....an a old 40s or 50s dodge truck. I tried to see of they would sell but we all know the answer to this....JUST SAD TO SEE THEM ROT. JUST A SHAME. PURE AMERICAN MUSCLE ROTTING.

Would be even cooler if I didn't have to stand on my head to see them...lol

Very cool find, hope to hear more about these.

Attachments

• 20151220_143712.jpg
    20151220_143712.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 779
The old
"NO, I'm going to restore or build them some day"
answer probably

cool backyard/field find none the less

Damn what a shame. :sad11:

those in IL, Gary?

Sure are way way out in the sticks...they are all in decent shape for being outside. The charger an Chevelle looked real good. I just cracked a tear. Dam

That 70 Bee is making me drool bad! Can you get nore pics of it?

Maybe...I'm not done with these yet. That's the one I really want is that 70 bee.

You should at least politely leave your number, you never know but that is a shame.

Whats the story, you got close enough to take pics, did you talk to the owner? Maybe get close enough to see the vin on the 70? come on what is it, I have to know, what is the 5th number?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously though, be careful, some people dont take kindly to others peeping around their yards... But if you did not get the vin, go back... lol..

That bee does look good, from what we can see, why only one picture, and why no vin number...

EVERYONE will sell,

I don't tell this story much because I am not proud of it, its going to be a long one, sorry, just don't read it if you dont like my stories...

There was a guy with a 39 tudor, 40 tudor, 32 coupe, another 32 3 window, and a 40 pickup, Someone told me where they were and said they asked twice and he threw them off the land.. I drove by just peaked to take a look at what was there...

I came back when there was a car in the driveway, I knocked on the door and introduced myself, said "I noticed your cars and I love them, I hate seeing them rotting away and would love to bring them back to life", he said "who told you they were for sale?", I said "quite the opposite, 5 people told me they were NOT for sale, but I figured I would give it a shot, because maybe we can make a deal that changes your life more than them cars will ever do just sitting there turning back into earth"...

He invited me in, we sat at his table and made a deal, I was to restore the pickup for him and he would give me the other cars for free, so I told him sign the paper work for the other 4 and I will only take the pickup, when I return the pick up finshed, I will take the others, he said "NO, take them all, bring the pickup when its done".. So I did..

All he wanted done to the pickup was paint, interior, driveline, suspension, and brakes. Nothing crazy.... So bring a skid steer up there and pull the cars out, take them to my shop and start on the pickup, took me about a month to start on it, back then my kids were too young to help, and I was busy working, it was a part/ part/ part time hobby...

He comes over about 6 weeks after I picked them up, I had his truck in primer (there was no rot, them dont rot, that was real metal), and I knocked out all the dents, it was a really nice truck, the interior was out, and I had one of my other 39's at the shop all done, purposely brought it there so he could see it. WELL he thought that was the car I got from him, lol.. And was pissed that I finished that one before his truck, so after explaining it to him, I realized the deck was short a few cards...

So now I just want this truck done and him out of my hair. He originally wanted the truck light gray, now after seeing my 39 he wanted it YELLOW / Black(big difference, in work), plus I already bought the paint. So I talk him back into gray and that is fine, he mentioned a few other things like a/c and power doors, lol... I should have NEVER showed him my hot rod, (I didnt do ac or power doors) ...

Anyway, it takes me a month to finish his truck after that day, I banged it out, nice 283 chevy with a 2 spd, I had a buddy of mine freshen up the trans and the engine, the motor just got the heads ripped off cleaned rebuilt, new cam, lifters, cam bearings, timing set, oil pump, electronic ignition, and the 2bbl carb rebuilt, I used a ford explorer rear end that I didnt touch just fit it in.. When the truck was done it was nice, I put a radio in it, sent the seats out, left the roof std (no chop), and put some new glass in it...

SO ANYWAY, I originally figured I would spend about $20K rebuilding his truck, and that would take me 3-4 months, and I would have the cars for a REALLY good price, BUT I ended up spending under $6K and less than 2 months tinkering to get it done!! new plastic fuel tank, optima battery (used to use them until I learned not to), painless wiring (well, the knock off brand , just as good), aluminum steering column (again knock off flaming river), 15" american cragar look a likes, I grabbed used from thompson swap meet with brand new Hankooks...

Truck is probably worth around $30K... So I drive it to his house, he didnt even know I was close to done! So I beep the horn and they come out his wife was a little peach she loved it, and he loved it too, I took him for a ride and showed him how it all worked, he loved the 2bbl 2spd, that little truck would still spin them 50's for 100 feet (it was a pickup, and I didnt posi it, which I normally do).

WELL I get picked up after we finish our business, and about a month goes by, I start feeling like **** because I am a scum bag, I kind of screwed these people, the cars I got were worth $40K in the shape they were in, these are all metal 32's !!!!! And I got them for nothing practically... its eating me up, so a week later I run by to see how they like the truck and its not there... So I figure they are out in it, a few more trips by, NO TRUCK... So then I stop in and see whats going on when the kia/hyundai what ever that thing was is there..

THEY SOLD THE TRUCK!!!!! Someone stopped in to talk to them about it and bought it for $10K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked why and he said "they couldnt afford to insure it and register it, the insurance agent told them $200 a month (which had to be a misunderstanding, unless they had a lot of accidents)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was trashed, I still feel like a **** bag now, I said "why didnt you call me" and he said that I seemed pissed when he called me... What a piece of **** I am.... So I asked what he would have sold the cars for, and he said "the cars weren't for sale", not helping my soul!!!!!!!!

SO I leave and the entire ride back to my shop I am flooded with emotion... I called him the next morning, I said who did you sell the truck too, he told me the guys name, and I know him, I make a few calls and get his number from a friend, he is also an older gentleman... I start talking to him and he is not going to sell me the truck... I figured I would buy it back, and drop it off, but he wasnt selling it, I could tell he was just a jerk off, said to me "that truck is worth $50K", so you know where that was going...

I ended up having my guys install a furnace with central a/c for the old couple, they had a very small house with a gas on gas stove for heat and a heater in the bedroom... These were not well off people, by any means... And to this day they are still there and I service their stuff for free, which it never needs anything but if they call their name and address comes up in the computer and it says "FAMILY NO BILL"...

I still figure the furnace and central ac with duct work was only about $2500 after labor and all materials...

I still feel like **** when I think about it... like I said I dont like telling the story... I hot rodded the other cars, sold the 39 before it was done because I had2 39s already and a friend of mine wanted it really bad... I drive by that old mans house once and a while and just shake my head, kind of glad I just did the basic restore on the truck because so jerk off has it now, BUT I never see it on the road, so I have no idea where it is...

Last edited:
You should at least politely leave your number, you never know but that is a shame.

I agree. They are not your cars so it is of no use badgering the owner about it. However, respectfully expressing real interest in the cars is fine. Maybe in a day or so he might change his mind...

Yes I talked to the home owner. I was really nice. They made it clear they where not for sale. I don't think they were too happy with me checking them out. Next time I might have some Benjamins. But I can't go crazy cause my 70 is going in for full restore.

Sweet find. Curious what the owners plan on doing with them. Or are they just going to sit out there and rot for the next 20 years. Not our business but is our passion. Kind of a shame....

Yes I talked to the home owner. I was really nice. They made it clear they where not for sale. I don't think they were too happy with me checking them out. Next time I might have some Benjamins. But I can't go crazy cause my 70 is going in for full restore.

Sometimes offering help is a better solution, saing something like "ey I noticed your cars, I restore cars as a hobby, I also have a ton of parts for them cars, are you interested in doing anything with them? If they are for sale I would like a shot at them, and if you need parts I have some you could have if you need them"...

Whats the address I'll fly over and buy them all ;)

Theres a guy in Cranston, RI that has a hemi gtx with the motor in it, 71 vcode (really rotted, that one I got a good look at), 2 challengers, a cuda, and a couple junks that arent worth mentioning but 8 cars total, all sitting about 200 feet off the road, behind his house in the woods out of sight, all complete, he has chicken wire around them and dogs with in sight that will bark if you get close to them, (ask me how I know, LOL), and he wont sell, hes was a prison guard or something, wont sell them cars for nothing, dont car what you offer, the guy aint selling...

I only know its a hemi gtx because he told me that he bought it new, I said "you wanna sell any of them cars, or trade them for one done, or Ill finish one for ya" and he said "nope, I bought that hemi gtx brand new" !!!! I pressed a bit more and said "I can restore that hemi to knew for you" he said "i am sure you could, but I dont ahve a garage anyway, so i said "I can build you a garage, thats what I do, I handed him a card", he said "Im just not interested..."

I was like WTF, is wrong with people..

Them kind of people aren't screwed together like most people. A lady down the street had a 69' bee I wanted so bad I stopped once a week and asked about it
but she always said no. I got the vibe that maybe she thought I was jerking her chain about buying the car. So I show up with stupid money and offered it up but still
she wouldn't sell. I went over every inch of the car even pulled the rear seat looking for the build sheet
didn't have the original motor or rear. It had a 70' RR steering wheel and it had an original 69.5' hood Dana 60 rear and 69' six pack intake with 69' date coded outboard carbs. It was rusty as could be but none the less I was in love with it.
So I move on and buy a different bee and drive it down to show it to her she looked it over and I drove away. 6 months later she sold the car.

I think stories like this are kinda funny. Would you walk up to a total stranger and ask if he kid is for sale? Or is his dog is for sale? Or even if his house is for sale? Of course not, but lots of guys think nothing of going up and asking if their cars, which they may well love as much as their kids, dogs, or houses, are. At a minimum you should always open discussions like this on a complimentary basis. Stop and say "Hi. I don't want to bother you, but I noticed your cars and just wanted to tell you they look great! I love seeing cars like that and knowing they're still around." Don't ask to see them, don't ask if they're for sale. That comes after you build a relationship.

The best way to go about it is to ask them for help. Introduce yourself, tell them you noticed their car(s), and that you're trying to get one back on the road and would really appreciate it if they could answer a question or let you look at a part where you're having problems... like the headliner mounting or wiring. That opens the door to a lot of possibilities. If they are enthusiasts they'll usually be eager to help you out. If they're looking to unload them, they'll know a potential buyer just showed up. And if they just inherited them from someone and don't know anything about them, or really care about them, then you'll know who you're dealing with.

Bru...are you sure your not actually Dr Phil? lol. Sounds like a sound plan to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back