• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

Fun!
Right now I'm feeling like I could do another in about 2/3 the time.

ElDubb and ChargerVert say that the sheet metal will tell if the sub-structure is right. See below:
Repair 104.jpg
Repair 111.jpg

The gap at the bottom WAS over an inch before.

Repair 103.jpg

Looks good from afar, right?

Repair 105.jpg

I will need to add some edge weld on the cowl to the right of that stick.

The gaps on the drivers side look pretty good.
Repair 106.jpg

The gaps here look remarkably close to the ones in my red car.

Repair 107 A.jpg
Repair 107 B.jpg

Last edited:
so much for that frame shop :carrot:

you got a set of hood stops on there?

Last edited:
You are right. I was overthinking it...but that is my nature. Before I jump into a big project, I study, I contemplate, I delay....
I am so impulsive with so many things but the big stuff gets a longer approval process!
I'm going to plug weld the sheet metal with the fenders still in place. The floor pan to rails can be done too. I may get the car up on the lift to do stuff that is hard to reach on the jack stands.

did the fenders practically "fall" onto the car? are they "midway" of the adjustments at the very front? are they equal? are the hood stops equal? it is possible you may want to "fine tune" it a little...... if you nailed it first shot, that is awesome; and pretty much what I expected

The hood is just resting on the car without hinges.
The fenders did slide into place easily. The studs on the cowl are off center a slight amount as compared to how the fenders fit my red car. The right one is just screwed in place though. I might shift it over to be centered. Currently, everything has been set and adjusted to match the measurements on the red car.

Repair 96.jpg

I was referring to the very front....... jacking one side and/or lowering the other a little bit may be required to achieve perfection........ but I'm that idiot who pines over 1/32 of an inch

in a nutshell, you don't want one fender at the top of the slotted holes and the other at the bottom

I was referring to the very front....... jacking one side and/or lowering the other a little bit may be required to achieve perfection........ but I'm that idiot who pines over 1/32 of an inch

in a nutshell, you don't want one fender at the top of the slotted holes and the other at the bottom
Dang!! A 32nd is nearly a spark plug gap!! :D

Looking good Kern,I know it may seem like extra work,but its better to find out at this stage that something is off than after its all welded up,then you hang the tin,and the gaps are off. It looks like you are spot on!

its looking good Kern
I envy you working in the warm weather
it looks like fun!
some tight places to grind .. lol

Cold/warm....It is all relative. It was in the mid 40s and felt cold to me. Rain came in with some wind so I rolled up and came inside. It is Taco night at the "Kern Estates" and I am cooking.

The gaps on my red car:

Gaps 1.jpg
Gaps 2.jpg
Gaps 3.jpg
Gaps 4.jpg

The XH car does have hood stops.

Repair 112.jpg

Both are 1 1/4" up from the fender. I did not adjust them but once I get the hood hinges on, I'm sure there will be some adjusting to do.
I see that the factory use a seam sealer type of sealant between the fender and aprons. I had forgotten about that.

Back to the mounts....The large hole in the fender bracket is not centered in either side. There is still some adjustment remaining though.
Pardon the poor camera angle.
Repair 113.jpg
Repair 114.jpg

I could use a fender nut with a larger washer on it.

don't sweat those studs too much..... I doubt I've ever seen one center of hole, and have opened up more than a few...... It's most likely the fenders

This valance was in the trunk of the car. Being a different color, I wonder if the car had been wrecked more than once or if it was on a different car and just thrown into the trunk of this car.

XH valance 1.jpg
XH valance 2.jpg

I might try to straighten it....OR,

Working on 3 at the same time slows you down..around work and life
Really 4 as I have been harvesting body
Parts for that also.
I was outside yesterday grinding welds
On inner fenders and a rad support
Wasn't bad until it got into the mid 30's
That's when I move inside

Working on 3 at the same time slows you down..around work and life
Really 4 as I have been harvesting body
Parts for that also.
I was outside yesterday grinding welds
On inner fenders and a rad support
Wasn't bad until it got into the mid 30's
That's when I move inside

Your tougher than I am, when it's in the 40's I pack it in.... Not that important...
Heck, it's 50 currently & I'm inside... But it is raining so.....

By definition, all excuses are valid :D

Auto Transport Service
Back