• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

I'd love to.
This job though, man....The Boss loves me and wants me to work overtime all the time! I get out of it as often as I can but wow. I have not had a boss take such a shine to me in years.

Ha ha.jpg

I'd love to.
This job though, man....The Boss loves me and wants me to work overtime all the time! I get out of it as often as I can but wow. I have not had a boss take such a shine to me in years.
Make it while you can. So you can Build cars and relax later.

I'd love to.

I get how your boss feels! I have guys that are just here for a paycheck and then I have guys that watch my back. The guys that watch my back I help them and their families any way I can! A loyal hard working employee is hard to find.

I am looking the car over to see what parts are missing. It is so nice to have a complete car nearby to know what you are missing from the other car.
I plan to make a list and get as much stuff as I can when in Southern CA for the Spring Fling in April.
Trunk floor, fuel and brake lines, gas cap, gas tank and floor seal, gas pedal, center dash panel for A/C, knows what else.
I may temporarily use some used parts to get the car mobile. I may move in a few years and it would be great to have this car driveable. Transporting a running car is much easier than one you have to push on and off the trailer.
I pressed the dash switches to see if they would move, They all did. Oddly, the wiper switch had 3 detents so I'm guessing it is a 3 speed switch. My red car has 2 detents and is a 2 speed wiper.
These 2 cars are optioned a bit differently. My red car is a 500 model, it was a 318-904-8.25 with 2.71 gears, A/C, PS, manual 10" drum brakes, bucket seats, console, AM radio, light group, F8 with white vinyl top. The XH car is a base model but had a 383 2 barrel, 727, 8.75 with unknown gears, A/C, PS, PB unknown if 4 wheel drum or disc drum since no brakes were on it when I first saw it, FK5, black vinyl top, bench seat, column shift, 3 speed wipers, radio unknown.

How much different is the wiring between the 2 and 3 speed wipers?
I have several 3 speed wiper motors here. It would be nice to convert the red car.
XH 101.jpg
XH 103.jpg
XH bench.jpg

It looked like I was at a standstill until I got some parts. I figured to make a list of things I needed and afterwards, I planned to pull the car out and wheel another one in. I have a '65 Valiant convertible to do....Total project, the only thing done on it so far has been rust repair.
I took another look at the Charger and figured that I could find a few things to do.

XH 206.jpg
XH 209.jpg

I could weld up the dent puller holes someone else made.

I removed the vinyl top "Check" moldings.
XH 210.jpg

I figured that I could weld up the trim holes since I will not be putting a vinyl top back on the car.
I knew that there was some rust along the bottom corners of the rear window channel.
XH 211.jpg
XH 213.jpg

Comparing this car to my red one, this one has less rust around the window but the trunk floor is far worse. Strange....
I may find more rust once I remove the rest of the window moldings. The Wife is going to help me remove the rear window and I'll run a wire wheel around the entire channel to see where I need to patch and weld.

Trunk floor....

XH TF 2.jpg
XH 200.jpg

Is there supposed to be more than ONE of these rubber blocks?

XH 201.jpg
XH 202.jpg

My red car seems to only have one as well.

Wow, that's some ventilation.
My Coronet didn't have the rubber blocks. Be interesting to hear if they're Charger specific.

Mine only had one. I made another one out of a hockey puck on the mill. I thought I might have lost the other one but now I'm thinking they only came with one. I think maybe the side impact brace does the job on the opposite side. Maybe???

Curious about those blocks. I have never had them on any of my cars....

The blocks are a 70 Charger only piece,as well as the bracket on the other side of the tank. These are to keep the filler tube from pulling out of the tank in the event of a crash.

I was going to ask the Wife to help me remove the rear window.

XH 224.jpg

I told her that I was able to get it myself since it was now going to come out in small pieces.
Son of a bitch.
I was trying to pry the trim off so I could take the window out. (In one piece) The trim was unusually close to the glass and the trim removal tool must have caught the edge of the glass.
It was one of those butt puckering moments when I heard the C-R-A-C-K.

The remnants of the black vinyl top were underneath the trim. I had suspected that the car had a black top and not a white one. I never got a fender tag or build sheet so the "DNA" of the car is a mystery.

XH 226.jpg

The channel is solid along the top. The LH side needs work near the bottom.

XH 227.jpg
XH 232.jpg

The RH side isn't good.

XH 230.jpg
XH 229.jpg

Back in 2001, I bought left and right patch panels to fix the rusty rear window channel in my red Charger.
I should be able to make my own small patches for this one.

Those California cars rust from the top down, not the bottom up like here in New England.

It is the vinyl top, man...I really hate what they do to these cars. They trap condensation, get rotten, crack, allow water to get in and then the rust begins. Once the rear window allows water through, the trunk rusts out.
I started making patches for the right side.

237.jpg
238.jpg

239.jpg

The bottom flange was too narrow for my liking so I made another patch.

241.jpg

This one extends down past the corner. It also wraps out of the channel and into the buttress/sail panel.

242.jpg

The metal in this patch is slightly thicker than the car's sheet metal or maybe it just feels that way because it is new.
The edges had to be sliced to allow me to bend and conform to the desired shape.
I don't claim to be an expert on this. I've patched lower quarters, floors, taillight panels and such but these compound curves are new to me.

There is another patch to do above the bottom one.

243.jpg

244.jpg
245.jpg

I'll probably get all the patches ready then weld them all in place.

Thank you. I'm having fun with it.
I saw that AMD has rear window glass for $220 plus shipping.

Auto Transport Service
Back