• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

When I replace the package tray, I'll assess what to do then. The cardboard is wasted so when I get the new one, I'll probably just install 6 X 9 speakers.
Looking underneath at the steel under the package tray on both of my cars, there are multiple openings that the factory put in. The package tray structure in this car has not been modified. Those small speakers are sitting in original holes in the steel.
I did wonder that. It was a bit hard to tell from the pictures. Car is coming on nicely by the way. Enjoying watching you get it back on the road.

XH 223.jpg

You can see part of the small speaker on the right side about the middle of the picture.

XH 221.JPG

Above you can see the left speaker. One 6 x 9 is missing.

I was really hoping to go to the Van Nuys Spring Fling next month. Their swap meet is the biggest on the West Coast and I really hoped to find some parts for this car. I wanted to get a gas tank, trunk floor, gas cap, fuel and brake lines and even some 10" drum brakes.
There is an 8 1/4" axle in the car now. The prior owner did a switcheroo years ago, pulling the original 8 3/4" axle out and sliding this 2.71 gear one legger axle in place. I want to keep this 8 1/4" for a future A-body project so I want to keep it with the brakes on it. I have a few 8 3/4" axles I can use in this car but none of them have brakes.
I have been asking around, emails went out to everyone in the Sacramento Mopar club and I put a "Wanted" ad here. It seems that the 10" drums are not as easy to find as I thought. Trucks and vans in the self serve junkyards all seem to have the super heavy finned 11" drums. I want to put brakes on 5 axles so compound the difficulty of my search by five!
Today I went to a local self serve yard and pulled a set of brakes from a 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue.

It looked like I was at a standstill until I got some parts. I figured to make a list of things I needed and afterwards, I planned to pull the car out and wheel another one in. I have a '65 Valiant convertible to do....Total project, the only thing done on it so far has been rust repair.
I took another look at the Charger and figured that I could find a few things to do.

View attachment 915337 View attachment 915338
I could weld up the dent puller holes someone else made.

I removed the vinyl top "Check" moldings.
View attachment 915339
I figured that I could weld up the trim holes since I will not be putting a vinyl top back on the car.
I knew that there was some rust along the bottom corners of the rear window channel.
View attachment 915340 View attachment 915341

Comparing this car to my red one, this one has less rust around the window but the trunk floor is far worse. Strange....
I may find more rust once I remove the rest of the window moldings. The Wife is going to help me remove the rear window and I'll run a wire wheel around the entire channel to see where I need to patch and weld.
Just stumbled across your thread KD. Looks like fun. Man you got a lift in your garage! Nice!! I think we all wish we had once of those!!!

The lift has made things so much easier and faster. Sometimes when I have a car on the lift and have some other small project to do, I'll put a car on jack stands and roll under it. Each time I do that, I am reminded of the 35 + years that I have worked on cars that way. The lift feels like driving a car compared to a bicycle !

I got the 8 1/4" axle out today.
XH 161.jpg

The transmission jack is a nice tool to have.
XH 163.jpg

First though, I removed the parking brake cables and unbolted the axle
XH 155.jpg

XH 157.jpg

The shocks have no labels but show no leaks. They have resistance, indicating that they are still functional. I may just clean them up and keep them in place.

The rear tires I have on the car are only there because they hold air and fit. I looked at the date code on the sidewall:
XH 154.jpg

Does this mean the 50th week of 2012 ?

I'll be happy to give a set of KYBs.... I think I still have another set...

I'll need new brake hose. Hopefully it isn't some part that takes months to get!
XH 158.jpg

The exhaust pipe hangers:
XH 159.jpg

XH 160.jpg

This car was a single exhaust 383 2 barrel model. Only the right side had a tailpipe yet the floor pan had provisions for tail pipes on both sides. I'll have to look at my red car to see if it is the same.

I'll be happy to give a set of KYBs.... I think I still have another set...
I might have a set as well.
With soft springs, they are not so bad. With stiffer torsion bars and leafs, they seem a bit harsh.
Is that just me that thinks this or is it a common belief ?

I'll need new brake hose. Hopefully it isn't some part that takes months to get!
View attachment 935015
View attachment 935016
View attachment 935017
This car was a single exhaust 383 2 barrel model. Only the right side had a tailpipe yet the floor pan had provisions for tail pipes on both sides. I'll have to look at my red car to see if it is the same.

I don't see an exhaust hanger... I do see the parking brake cable attachment point..

Yep, I think you're right. The shadow of the missed undercoating can be seen in the picture.

I might have a set as well.
With soft springs, they are not so bad. With stiffer torsion bars and leafs, they seem a bit harsh.
Is that just me that thinks this or is it a common belief ?

Heavier cars set to help, the weight on a B body rear suspension is considerably more than an E body... So it helps.... On a C body they actually work pretty well...

The lift has made things so much easier and faster. Sometimes when I have a car on the lift and have some other small project to do, I'll put a car on jack stands and roll under it. Each time I do that, I am reminded of the 35 + years that I have worked on cars that way. The lift feels like driving a car compared to a bicycle !

I know exactly what you are talking about. I absolutely hate working on cars on the ground now. I am thinking of getting a 7K portable lift to use when my lift is occupied (which it is more than not).

This car was a single exhaust 383 2 barrel model. Only the right side had a tailpipe yet the floor pan had provisions for tail pipes on both sides. I'll have to look at my red car to see if it is the same.[/QUOTE]
My car was the same. Its a 73 400 2bbl with original single exhaust. The floor pan had a punched pattern on the left side so it could be drilled out by the factory if the car was coded a dual exhaust. I dare say, the 70 was the same.

View attachment 935015
View attachment 935016
View attachment 935017
I think all the floor pans on 68-70 B-bodies had the 4 dimples for a dual exhaust hanger if the car came from the factory with single exhaust.
This is all you need https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=102-EH2.

The axle is in.
XH 178.jpg
XH 179.jpg

I had some urethane shackle bushings in the shed. I used the poly bushing lube to avoid the squeaks.

XH 173.jpg
XH 176.jpg

I love how this stuff looks when everything is clean.

XH 181.jpg
XH 182.jpg

I bent an axle seal while installing it. Left side is in though. Not able to finish yet.

XH 184.jpg
XH 185.jpg

The 3rd member is a '741 unit but I'm okay with that. All the 8 3/4" 3rd members are plenty durable.

XH 186.jpg
XH 187.jpg

It is a clutch type Sure Grip 3.23 gear.

XH 189.jpg

The car will likely get the original 383 back in along with an automatic. I'll have to tear down the 383 to see if it needs a full rebuild or if I can get by with a dingle ball hone and new rings. It is so tempting to go full bore and order a 4.25 stroker kit but I am trying to keep this car a lower cost, reliable and fun project. It is not intended to be a supercar by any means, just a fun cruiser that handles and stops well and can peel out when I want.

Auto Transport Service
Back