• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a Colt Challenger .22LR I kinda like it.

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Seeing prices all over the place from just over 200 to a bit over 400. I'm thinking the 400 group is for one that's like new. This one isn't bad looking but can tell it's been around. The plastic grip is chipped at the bottom but other than that, things look to be ok. Haven't fired it yet though but will before buying it to make sure it fires. Thinking about offering 150 for it....also, can ya shoot .22 shorts in this or will there not be enough pressure to chamber the next round? Load one at a time?? :D

IMG_20230928_113031097.jpg

IMG_20230928_113041894.jpg

IMG_20230928_113153357.jpg

Reminds me of the Ruger Mark 2. I did a lot of one handed pistol competition with that piece. Well built, dependable.

Reminds me of the Ruger Mark 2. I did a lot of one handed pistol competition with that piece. Well built, dependable.
This Colt seems to be built well. Only had one other Colt....a Colt Trooper .357 wheel gun. It had .005" clearance between the barrel and the cylinder and man, it was loud!

Looks similar to the old Colt Woodsman but I would have to dig mine out to compare it. Depending on the vintage it should be a fantastic shooter. If you do get it always be on the lookout for spare magazines. It seems like the only time they are hard to find is when you need one.
I love the quality of older Colts, right up until about the late seventies when labour got too expensive to do much hand fitting, polishing, and finishing. I have a few from the ‘20’s and ‘30’s and they are jewels.
Had an actual “U.S. Property” WWII 1911 and a stainless Python. Sold both and have regretted it ever since.

Looks similar to the old Colt Woodsman but I would have to dig mine out to compare it. Depending on the vintage it should be a fantastic shooter. If you do get it always be on the lookout for spare magazines. It seems like the only time they are hard to find is when you need one.
I love the quality of older Colts, right up until about the late seventies when labour got too expensive to do much hand fitting, polishing, and finishing. I have a few from the ‘20’s and ‘30’s and they are jewels.
Had an actual WWII 1911 and a stainless Python. Sold both and have regretted it ever since.
Yeah, only has one mag with it....but at least it has it.

Seeing prices all over the place from just over 200 to a bit over 400. I'm thinking the 400 group is for one that's like new. This one isn't bad looking but can tell it's been around. The plastic grip is chipped at the bottom but other than that, things look to be ok. Haven't fired it yet though but will before buying it to make sure it fires. Thinking about offering 150 for it....also, can ya shoot .22 shorts in this or will there not be enough pressure to chamber the next round? Load one at a time?? :D

View attachment 1531714

View attachment 1531715

View attachment 1531716
I doubt it would cycle with shorts.
Really nice pistol though ,if it fires and cycles I would grab it at that price.

If your just looking for a reasonable priced we'll built USA made pistol in .22
I'm a fan of the Browning buck mark series. New mid $300s into 5s depending on how its dressed.

Same here,

I used to have a MkII, and hated it.
never felt comfortable in the angle of the grip

sold it and bought a Baretta with an 8inch bull barrel and LOVE it

They are in the woodsman family. Excellent guns, most likely LR only

If your just looking for a reasonable priced we'll built USA made pistol in .22
I'm a fan of the Browning buck mark series. New mid $300s into 5s depending on how its dressed.
I've got the plain-jane buckmark 22, bought new in california with a rebate. I think i paid $169. Times have changed.

I doubt it would cycle with shorts.
Really nice pistol though ,if it fires and cycles I would grab it at that price.
They are in the woodsman family. Excellent guns, most likely LR only
Ok, most likely anything less than a muzzle velocity of 1200 probably wouldn't make the pistol cycle but couldn't I still 'put' one in the chamber by hand and it would still fire it? Used to have a bolt action .22 rifle (one of the guns that got sold off during the divorce dang it) and it would shoot anything including sub sonic and even the 'quiet 22' (710 fps) which sounded more like someone spitting out a wad of bubble gum. The bullet hitting a 55 gallon drum made more noise than the gun did and only put a dent in the metal even at 25 feet away. Think I need to get another bolt action rifle or even a revolver. This pump pellet rifle I have is just too much work lol plus even that thing is somewhat noisy. I like to plink and do it here at the house without the neighbors getting up in arms....no pun intended. Yeah it was :D

Believe it or not the value of the old, plain Challenger start at $200 in parts condition, upto over $1000. in new condition. From what I can see(not real clear or complete pics) it looks to be in about NRA "Good" condition. This puts it in the $400 range.
Very worth the money and excellent in quality. Another John Browning design and made by Colt.
You could single load any standard 22.BB cap, CB cap, Short, Long, Long Rifle as long as it is chambered for the Long Rifle. It may not be though so look for the chamber stamp. In the very old days they could be chambered in Short, Long or Long Rifle.
Just make sure to thoroughly clean the lead/powder residue after each shooting. And check the bore before you shoot it the first time for old possible damage or excess corrosion. A local gunsmith is recommended to also check the more delicate parts like springs, extractor etc to make sure it will be safe to use.
Nice find. Grips are out there on sites like Ebay.
Get yourself another magazine. There are repros out there but nothing is like factory. Just have to shop the used p[ adds, gun shows.
Here is a pic of my Colt Match Target Woodsman. Their most deluxe model.

20201115_164203.jpg

Last edited:
I love rimfires! When I was young, dad would take me to the old dump and shoot rats. Would use his High Standard and he would use his Colt.

I’ve shot a couple of woodsmen , 1 a first model from 1928, in Bullseye and been very competitive.

Ok, most likely anything less than a muzzle velocity of 1200 probably wouldn't make the pistol cycle but couldn't I still 'put' one in the chamber by hand and it would still fire it? Used to have a bolt action .22 rifle (one of the guns that got sold off during the divorce dang it) and it would shoot anything including sub sonic and even the 'quiet 22' (710 fps) which sounded more like someone spitting out a wad of bubble gum. The bullet hitting a 55 gallon drum made more noise than the gun did and only put a dent in the metal even at 25 feet away. Think I need to get another bolt action rifle or even a revolver. This pump pellet rifle I have is just too much work lol plus even that thing is somewhat noisy. I like to plink and do it here at the house without the neighbors getting up in arms....no pun intended. Yeah it was :D
Yep, you could hand feed a short and fire.
Just don't know what end of the bullet coming out 1st.

Yep, you could hand feed a short and fire.
Just don't know what end of the bullet coming out 1st.
Bullet diameter ain't smaller on the others....at least the ones I was using in my bolt action weren't.

Auto Transport Service
Back