• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LS swap ?

Don't worry bout the cavemen here. most think fuel injection is the devils work :) Ls's are amazing motors.. build your car how you want :)

So you've actually hit the nail on the head here I really have no clue what I'm doing honestly or how to go about doing it. I grew up a Ford guy as that's what my grand father always had. (Was never close to my dad) but recently (without going into too much detail) in the past 15years or so we've been working on our relationship. (He's the Mopar purist and the one who found the car for me in the first place) and I really bought the car for him so we could do a father son project even though I'm in my mid 30s (better late than never) and I will always keep the car so I'm trying to give it as much streetability as I can so I can drive it for the long haul. But so far the only thing I've learned about B bodies and Mopars in general Is that
A. Body panels are expensive as sh** and almost impossible to find yet A body stuff is plentiful and has reproduction stuff made for it.
B. The stock steering is garbage.
C. The stock brakes are garbage (going to swap the rear end to a disc brake one)
I'm gonna kick ya while your down, I don't think it's just Mopar that you know nothing about, but cars in general. The torsion bar suspension in the day, compared to coil spring Cheby n Ferd, was great. If you are not racing, constantly getting to threshold braking, rear discs will nothing extra for you. If you take a 67 Camero and Mustang, they both will need major upgrades to compete suspension n brakes to a modern cars just as a Mopar would.

does this mean the ball busting is over? :poke:
1690239345314.gif
:bananaweed:

I'm gonna kick ya while your down, I don't think it's just Mopar that you know nothing about, but cars in general. The torsion bar suspension in the day, compared to coil spring Cheby n Ferd, was great. If you are not racing, constantly getting to threshold braking, rear discs will nothing extra for you. If you take a 67 Camero and Mustang, they both will need major upgrades to compete suspension n brakes to a modern cars just as a Mopar would.
Well I do but prior to this the oldest car I ever owned was a 83 Datsun 280zx turbo. As far as suspension goes. It's a base model road runner it's a 73 (disc front breaks already and drum in the back.) 318 with a 904 i don't really care about keeping it stock or numbers matching. I wanna build a cool street rod that will make me smile every once in a while when I mash the gas, as far where take this car and how I approach the project is up to me. I understand their are a TON of Mopar purist here (which probably means I'm apart of the wrong form) but I'm not one of them, I wanna go fast get some thumbs up from the looks, and be able to take it on an extended road trip if need be.

But please don't try to insult my intelligence or claim that I know nothing about cars. I didn't grow up around these types of cars. It's not what I cut my teeth working on. I feel far more at home with efi, modern suspension, modern tuning etc. Heck if you hand me a box of carburetor and say put this together I will look at you like wtf is this. Because it was never something I delt with by the time I was old enough carbureted cars weren't even a thing anymore (mid 90s early 2ks)

Tell me to replace a fuel rail, install new injectors, a bigger fuel pump, and recalibrate a MAF to the new injectors I'm all about it.

If it makes anyone feel any better I'm not going LS I'm going to build up the 318 (380whp goal nothing massive) and a 727 tranny to replace the 904 that's in it now.

Now I know most of not all of you are thinking that this kid has no business with a classic Mopar you're probably right. But I bought the car because my dad is a Mopar purist to the bone, he's up there I'm years now, and I wanna do at least ONE major father son project before I can't you know and this car made him absolutely light up when we went to see it vs the like 12 others we looked at. I figured I bank roll it so he can just focus on having fun reliving his youth and we get to make some memories. If it means I ask stupid question I am sorry, but I am literally a total newb here with classics and Mopars in general

@ed-shot500 there are a lot of people here that are happy to help you build something cool (so long as it has a Mopar drive train..). The 318 is ok but you really need to look for a 360 Magnum engine out of a late 90s to early 2000's pickup. They made millions of them and they are roller motors and can make some really decent HP and will run for several hundred thousand miles if maintained. Put that along with the A518 and you have an an awesome driver (the 518 has OD).

I am not hating on a 318 as I have had many of them over the years but even the smallest of chances I would go 340 or 360 in a heart beat especially with the Magnum engines.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you better listen to him, Flounder..... he's in pre-med

Now I know most of not all of you are thinking that this kid has no business with a classic Mopar you're probably right. But I bought the car because my dad is a Mopar purist to the bone, he's up there I'm years now, and I wanna do at least ONE major father son project before I can't you know and this car made him absolutely light up when we went to see it vs the like 12 others we looked at. I figured I bank roll it so he can just focus on having fun reliving his youth and we get to make some memories. If it means I ask stupid question I am sorry, but I am literally a total newb here with classics and Mopars in general
Take alot of what you read here with a grain of salt. But when it comes to technical stuff, you've come to the right place. First, welcome to the forum. And secondly, I think it's great what you're doing. Enjoy every minute doing the project with him. Don't hesitate to ask questions of any type. You'll get a wide range of opinions. But for the most part, we're here to help.

@ed-shot500 there are a lot of people here that are happy to help you build something cool (so long as it has a Mopar drive train..). The 318 is ok but you really need to look for a 360 Magnum engine out of a late 90s to early 2000's pickup. They made millions of them and they are roller motors and can make some really decent HP and will run for several hundred thousand miles if maintained. Put that along with the A518 and you have an an awesome driver (the 518 has OD).

I am not hating on a 318 as I have had many of them over the years but even the smallest of chances I would go 340 or 360 in a heart beat especially with the Magnum engines.
You got a damn good point on a 360 magnum. Some workarounds but a good base performer.

Ed- if your Dad's a purist, make it stock and work like a nice car.

A stock stroke LA 360 with a roller cam is a great engine to build. The 5.9/Magnum version has the roller cam as well but is fitted with better flowing heads. I have a 318 out in the shop that I'm tempted to add a 4" stroke crank to make a 390. That would be a potent mill that looks as simple as a 318 and the motor mount brackets for a 318 fit the block.

Pan, intake, timing cover/fuel pump,
Areas to be cognizant of.
Oh ya, flex plate balance

Y
Has the OP been back in this thread???
I have been lol I wish this fourm was like other sites when you add a hyper line directly to the site on one of your home screens chrome usually gives you the ability to have notifications pushed through. like some of the other fourms I'm apart of. Most times I completely forget about this (not on purpose) so I only end up checking it every few days. (Plus I'm also like 2 weeks away from my wedding so I have family flying in, meeting with vendors and such......well my fiancee meets with the vendors I just sit in a corner and silently cry inside on how much it costs.

Anyway I'ma close out with this I appreciate all the advice given, I'm going to do more research into the car and what to do, so far from what I've been reading is that the 318 worked over can make about 400whp there was a motor trend article back from 07 I found that basically lays out all the parts, and model numbers for said parts on how to do it everything from the upper to the crank, rods n pistons. So I'm probably going to go that route so I can retain the numbers matching block. I want everyone to know I was not trolling whatsoever. Lol I really just am at a loss with this car. But first things first, it needs body work and paint. Since the guy I bought it from rebuilt the engine and tranny before I bought it. (Have all the documentation proving as such) so I'ma focus on that for the time being and just slowly gather parts as I see them pop up at swap meets, Facebook marketplace etc.

Thankyou guys again for the help and I am always open to hearing constructive advice and criticism. I'm constantly learning and I can't expand my knowledge, if I'm not open to admitting that knowledge or thought/ idea in this case is a Terrible one :) y'all have an awesome week and once I star tearing into the car ( waiting till after the wedding and waiting on the rest of the kit I ordered from Bergman) I'll be sure to post pics for those that wanna follow along.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!! and good luck with your project!

Y

I have been lol I wish this fourm was like other sites when you add a hyper line directly to the site on one of your home screens chrome usually gives you the ability to have notifications pushed through. like some of the other fourms I'm apart of. Most times I completely forget about this (not on purpose) so I only end up checking it every few days. (Plus I'm also like 2 weeks away from my wedding so I have family flying in, meeting with vendors and such......well my fiancee meets with the vendors I just sit in a corner and silently cry inside on how much it costs.

Anyway I'ma close out with this I appreciate all the advice given, I'm going to do more research into the car and what to do, so far from what I've been reading is that the 318 worked over can make about 400whp there was a motor trend article back from 07 I found that basically lays out all the parts, and model numbers for said parts on how to do it everything from the upper to the crank, rods n pistons. So I'm probably going to go that route so I can retain the numbers matching block. I want everyone to know I was not trolling whatsoever. Lol I really just am at a loss with this car. But first things first, it needs body work and paint. Since the guy I bought it from rebuilt the engine and tranny before I bought it. (Have all the documentation proving as such) so I'ma focus on that for the time being and just slowly gather parts as I see them pop up at swap meets, Facebook marketplace etc.

Thankyou guys again for the help and I am always open to hearing constructive advice and criticism. I'm constantly learning and I can't expand my knowledge, if I'm not open to admitting that knowledge or thought/ idea in this case is a Terrible one :) y'all have an awesome week and once I star tearing into the car ( waiting till after the wedding and waiting on the rest of the kit I ordered from Bergman) I'll be sure to post pics for those that wanna follow along.
Go to top of the page and click the 'watch' button. When you do, a box will open and then click on the 'and receive email notifications' button. Whenever someone comments, I get a ding on my phone that I have an email and can take a look. And I wouldn't worry about a numbers matching car that came with a 318. Now if it were say a 340 car, that would make a difference or even a big block. According to Googly the base engine was a 318 4bbl.

IF you do decide on going with say a more modern 360 roller motor from a truck, you will have to swap out the oil pan since the trucks have a rear sump and that won't fit the car. Also keep in mind that the 318 pan won't swap to a 360 since the mains are bigger in the 360 vs the teen. Keeping the teen will make swapping stuff a non event but 400 rwhp is kinda something of a stretch but it can be done.

A buddy had a stroker teen with a turbo and ran a high 9 in a 94 Dakota but he hurt it recently and is now going with a 360. Larger bore engines generally breathe better than the smaller bore engines. I like big bore short stroke engines better than a long stroke engine with small bores. One more tidbit....nothing wrong with the 904 trans. They are just a smaller version than the 727 and being smaller over all helps more room for headers etc plus they are quicker since all the internals are lighter in weight. There are several out there racing them behind some pretty potent small blocks.

Y

Congrats and best wishes on your wedding. Give us some pics on the project as you go along. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, you'll learn from all the mistakes we've made as this ol' geezer has. Hey, don't think a 318 can't be made to run, I had a pretty good warmed-over one back in the day that surprised many a Chevy, and sent Fords away with their tails between their legs !

Anyway I'ma close out with this I appreciate all the advice given, I'm going to do more research into the car and what to do, so far from what I've been reading is that the 318 worked over can make about 400whp there was a motor trend article back from 07 I found that basically lays out all the parts, and model numbers for said parts on how to do it everything from the upper to the crank, rods n pistons.

Congrats on wedding... i am not a purist, however i'm afraid of hell, i would stick to a chevy in a chevy a ford in a ford and a mopar in a mopar. Having said that consider a 5.7 HEMI with Eagle heads... off the bat 395HP, very easy to modify and boost, EFI, reliable... my 2008 Chrysler Aspen has 279k miles, never once broke down... good reliable power.

That is 395 through manifolds, catalytic converters and a full exhaust system. Run that same mill through headers. 3" pipes and low restriction mufflers and it could be a 430 HP engine that idles smooth and makes incredible power and mileage.

I have a 5.2 Magnum out in my shed. You can have it if you come get it. I know nothing about it. It was at my neighbors house when he moved out. I got it rather than let it go to scrap from the new owner. Perhaps its something to build a decent little stroker motor out of. And it bolts right up to a 904.

Food for thought on this Magnum engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back