• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LS swap ?

I'll close out my contribution to this topic with this:
Maybe, maybe the OP is just without guidance and is going by the advice of other guys....guys that have zero allegiance to Ma Mopar.
I'm not forgiving him, just trying to point out what may be the case with him.
We have all read from the newbie that joins the forum and asks "Who sells the cheapest coil over front suspension?"
I'm at the point where I can interpret the background of the newbie with fairly good accuracy. They are usually new to Mopars and have never driven one with a properly rebuilt and upgraded stock based suspension and steering. They drive theirs and the alignment is off, the previous owner swapped a big block into a slant six or 318 car with pencil thin torsion bars and no sway bar so it leans hard into turns. The newbie thinks the whole Mopar suspension system is worthless and after reading the magazine ads from RMS, Magnum Force, Hemi Denny and QA 1, they are convinced that the new stuff MUST be better than this antiquated torsion bar system.
The OP has probably heard some stories about $400 LS swaps and with his limited funds, thinks this is the answer.
I hope for his sake that he pays attention to the members on this forum that are trying to help. It isn't that we LIVE for giving people a hard time, it is that when a topic comes up that is so clearly against what makes sense to us, we have to respond.
What makes building these cars within a budget possible is networking with other Mopar guys. Make friends and you might hear of some guy selling off something you can use.
I bought "Jigsaw" for $5000. I have about $5000 of my own money in after the purchase price. Almost everything in this car is used stuff from other projects.

0 Jigs.jpg

It runs and drives, has 12" front disc, 10" rear drums and if I wanted to sell it, I could probably get over $20,000 from a handful of eager buyers.
THIS was possible because I have friends with parts, I made friends on this forum who helped guide me on repair ideas...ElDubb 440 for one, 1WildR/T for another. These two guys along with a few others have stepped up to spend their time providing me with FREE advice that was worth thousands of dollars to me. I am thankful for their help along with THIS forum for being a fantastic source to help people and to share great ideas.
I so wish the OP luck...I was somewhat snarkey with my comments earlier. I was just pissed at the time.

01 forgive.jpg

The Golden Goddess. Bought for $4,000, put another $5,000 in it. Ran it for a couple years, decided to put a little more in. I know I was lucky to find a good 440 in the junkyard for $550. Other than the wiring harness and brakes, everything was low buck, it took time and patience but damn well worth it. I had a lot of fun with the 350hp, and it was pretty dang reliable too. I know drag and drives, and cheap turbo LS are all the rage, BUT YOU DONT NEED 1,000HP TO HAVE FUN!!

06A60FBE-350C-4762-9706-95031E15B188.jpeg

I made friends on this forum who helped guide me on repair ideas...ElDubb 440 for one, 1WildR/T for another. These two guys along with a few others have stepped up to spend their time providing me with FREE advice that was worth thousands of dollars to me. I am thankful for their help along with THIS forum for being a fantastic source to help people and to share great ideas.

you received solid advice; you were open to it, and had the sense to alter your plan and run with it.......

when some would just have just argued against it and proceeded "their way"

I'll close out my contribution to this topic with this:
Maybe, maybe the OP is just without guidance and is going by the advice of other guys....guys that have zero allegiance to Ma Mopar.
I'm not forgiving him, just trying to point out what may be the case with him.
We have all read from the newbie that joins the forum and asks "Who sells the cheapest coil over front suspension?"
I'm at the point where I can interpret the background of the newbie with fairly good accuracy. They are usually new to Mopars and have never driven one with a properly rebuilt and upgraded stock based suspension and steering. They drive theirs and the alignment is off, the previous owner swapped a big block into a slant six or 318 car with pencil thin torsion bars and no sway bar so it leans hard into turns. The newbie thinks the whole Mopar suspension system is worthless and after reading the magazine ads from RMS, Magnum Force, Hemi Denny and QA 1, they are convinced that the new stuff MUST be better than this antiquated torsion bar system.
The OP has probably heard some stories about $400 LS swaps and with his limited funds, thinks this is the answer.
I hope for his sake that he pays attention to the members on this forum that are trying to help. It isn't that we LIVE for giving people a hard time, it is that when a topic comes up that is so clearly against what makes sense to us, we have to respond.
What makes building these cars within a budget possible is networking with other Mopar guys. Make friends and you might hear of some guy selling off something you can use.
I bought "Jigsaw" for $5000. I have about $5000 of my own money in after the purchase price. Almost everything in this car is used stuff from other projects.

View attachment 1498059
It runs and drives, has 12" front disc, 10" rear drums and if I wanted to sell it, I could probably get over $20,000 from a handful of eager buyers.
THIS was possible because I have friends with parts, I made friends on this forum who helped guide me on repair ideas...ElDubb 440 for one, 1WildR/T for another. These two guys along with a few others have stepped up to spend their time providing me with FREE advice that was worth thousands of dollars to me. I am thankful for their help along with THIS forum for being a fantastic source to help people and to share great ideas.
I so wish the OP luck...I was somewhat snarkey with my comments earlier. I was just pissed at the time.

View attachment 1498061
Lots of great people willing to help here.

Sell the road runner, go buy a cheap Chevy, and then go through a cheap LS swap. so, you'll wind up with a cheap chevy LS swap car. It's really that simple.

Apparently someone didn't get enough attention as a child....
To the OP:
Trolls are a dime a dozen, young man. Ain't nothing new or clever about intentionally trying
to stir people up on a forum.
It's sort of pathetic, really.

attention (2017_10_11 10_04_54 UTC).jpg
Now kindly return to whatever Chevy forum from whence you came....

What about slapping a Chevelle body on a 2wd 1500?
Then you can literally do the ls swap without even having to touch the LS !
Thank me later!

What about slapping a Chevelle body on a 2wd 1500?
Then you can literally do the ls swap without even having to touch the LS !
Thank me later!

now that's thinking outside of the box....... but wouldn't that be a rebody? :eek: :poke:

Just wait till the LS has lifter failure. Very common in LS engines. Once they tap they get sent to the junkyard. Oh wait, that's where you are getting your LS.. Never mind. Don't like the 8.1/4 rear end he'll stuff a ford 8.8 in it just because. With a TKO out of a mustang behind the 5.3 LS. You know just to hodge podge it fully.

Ok now that things are settling down (to include me), let me say up front that I am not a purist by any stretch, in fact quite the opposite but I really do not like mixing up brands when it comes to drive trains and vehicles. I am a huge fan of modern running gear in old cars however I grew up with the old stuff and still have a bunch of it. Here is my honest contribution to this subject;

First off, its your car so you are obviously free to do whatever you wish with it regardless of what anyone else thinks or says.

Despite what the car shows say/do going to an LS is not all that cheaper and definitely not any easier to swap into a Mopar than a Mopar drive train, however at the end of the day its just a car and a drive train, they can be made to work. It really comes down to your willingness to do it, your skill level and what resources you have (tools, shop, etc.)

If you fell into a free LS/trans then maybe this is something worth pursuing but do not expect it to be easy or cheap.

It is unclear why you would want to go down this path, however as has been mentioned there are a lot of options available to you other than the LS one.

As you may know (or are finding out) the Mopar community has very strong opinions about the brand and the cars. I don't know for sure but I would think you would get the same reaction if you went on a Chevy sight talking about putting a G3 Hemi into a G2 Camaro or Vette and the same for the ford guys.

Again as mentioned there are a lot of good people here who will help you but if you go down the LS path expect some push back (as you already have). In the end its hot rodding, good luck.

Ok now that things are settling down (to include me), let me say up front that I am not a purist by any stretch, in fact quite the opposite but I really do not like mixing up brands when it comes to drive trains and vehicles. I am a huge fan of modern running gear in old cars however I grew up with the old stuff and still have a bunch of it. Here is my honest contribution to this subject;

First off, its your car so you are obviously free to do whatever you wish with it regardless of what anyone else thinks or says.

Despite what the car shows say/do going to an LS is not all that cheaper and definitely not any easier to swap into a Mopar than a Mopar drive train, however at the end of the day its just a car and a drive train, they can be made to work. It really comes down to your willingness to do it, your skill level and what resources you have (tools, shop, etc.)

If you fell into a free LS/trans then maybe this is something worth pursuing but do not expect it to be easy or cheap.

It is unclear why you would want to go down this path, however as has been mentioned there are a lot of options available to you other than the LS one.

As you may know (or are finding out) the Mopar community has very strong opinions about the brand and the cars. I don't know for sure but I would think you would get the same reaction if you went on a Chevy sight talking about putting a G3 Hemi into a G2 Camaro or Vette and the same for the ford guys.

Again as mentioned there are a lot of good people here who will help you but if you go down the LS path expect some push back (as you already have). In the end its hot rodding, good luck.

Bravo!

Besides my roadrunner have a 6.0 LS in my bow tie car. 11.4 seconds in drive every time. But I’d never do an LS in a mopar.

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

If I were a Chevy guy I'd definitely have a G1 Camaro. I've had a couple of Vettes (74 454 and a 96 LT4).

If I were a Chevy guy I'd definitely have a G1 Camaro. I've had a couple of Vettes (74 454 and a 96 LT4).

when I say I like this car, I mean A LOT!......... the amount of work required to get some meat under this thing is ridiculous...... if I ever see another one, I will tip my cap

everybody like pics, right?....... this may be my only chance to slip them in :thankyou:

hammered6.jpg

20220519_005046.jpg

IMG_20230117_211536535.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back