• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Man's best friend

BeeKool

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
I'm started this thread as a tribute to all dogs. Please add your own stories to it. No matter how old. Pics are nice.

I've been blessed with several dogs in my lifetime. Loved them all. Some were more endeared than others. I've had 3 that could be considered "the One." This is the story behind the original one in my life. The dog that showed me that Dogs are part of man's soul and that "the world knows no greater love than that of a dog for his master."

The year was 1992. It was early summer and school had just let out. Summers for me involved lots of miserable work for pitiful pay, but we're still better than school. After 12 hrs or so of work each day I relaxed by tearing around the countryside on my dirtbike. A 74 Yamaha MX. Lots of fun. One day at dusk as I was heading back to the house from the shop my dad pulled up in the tractor, he waived for me to get in. I did, and to my surprise he handed me a cute little puppy he had found out in the cornfield while spraying.
I took the pup to the house and fed him, (we had a dog already so we had food).
The pup was obviously hungry, he ate until he looked like a beach ball.

The next day I went and found the pup, he was waiting outside to play. My dad had decided to name him King, after a dog his Uncle had in the 50s. King was a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix. This I know because I knew his parents, and their owners the dirty neighbor people. King had a new home.

One day shortly after his arrival, my dad and I were moving the cattle from one pasture to the next. This involved running them through a bottleneck. As we were doing this I noticed King had followed us and was about to get trampled, without thinking I sprinted and scooped him up without missing a step just before he was trampled, very nearly getting smashed myself in the process. King would return the favor later in life.

Life moved on King grew up and I grew as well. He had become an exceptional farm dog. He kept the coyotes away, kept the coons out of the sweet corn, kept the jehovah witnesses away. When we shelled corn, he would be in the crib killing rats. When I used the skid loader, he would keep the hogs from escaping when I went in and out.

I cold winter night I had finished cleaning the hog house. I was in the loft above scooping down corncobs for bedding. I must have slipped and fallen down the 8 feet to the pavement. When I came to, I was surrounded by sows but my best bud King was there keeping them away. I was only out for a minute or 2. But hogs are mean brutal creatures, King had kept them away. And I had only a large lump on my head to show. He had somehow managed to cut his leg jumping in the pen to help me out of the jam. It would require 15 stitches and would leave a scar. Whenever I saw that scar I was reminded of Kings selflessness.

Years passed by, King was there earning his place at the table day in and day out. This runaway runt had become something beyond description.
Our way of farming changed and Kings life became much more relaxed. I had grown up and King had grown old. In the meanwhile I had moved to town and only made it to the farm once a month or so.

One day my mom called me, King was sick. They had taken him to the vet, gotten meds but they weren't working. A week later I visited again and hardly recognized King. He was skin and bones and had gone blind. When he smelled me he wagged his tail despite being almost too weak to stand. I've worked with animals my whole life, I know when they are going to die. Kings life had but a few hours.
I called the vet but he was on vacation. Sadly it would be up to me. I picked King up and set him on a blanket outside in the sun. It was an unusually warm February day. I went to the shop with tears in my eye got a pick axe and a shovel. Went out to the Grove and dug a grave waistedeep in the frozen dirt. Got my Ruger Mark 1 pistol with a magazine full of CCI ammo. Made sure it worked. Then I scribbled a few paragraphs onto a piece of paper. A poem for my friend. I buried the paper in the bottom of the grave and placed a blanket in the bottom. Now time for the hard part...

I returned to get King and carry him to the grave and discovered that he was gone.. Nowhere to be found.. I searched for 30 minutes could not find him... Sadly I returned to the grave to get the shovel and pick axe and return them to the shed.
That's where I found him. Right next to the grave I had dug. With his last bit of life and totally blind, King had found his way to the grave and died. His last gift to me was his greatest. He spared me the pain of having to put him down. It was Feb 10 2005. I was almost 25. King was about 13.

Kings life was one most dogs would envy. No leashes chains or fences. He sired 2 litters of puppies. He brought joy to a family. He taught me that there is nothing beyond a dog and his master. I have a few pictures of King, but they are 35mm and Polaroids. I need only close my eyes and he is right there in my sights. I could write a book but it's been done. Thus may sound like Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows Those stories were obviously true. I'm sure many of us have similar stories. What's great is that King was only the first "The One."
He can never be replaced but surprisingly I have other buds that are every bit as smart and loving and also good enough to be "The one".
To those still mourning a friend lost years ago..... do not be afraid to get another friend. You will find that with time and love and dedication.... dogs are a reflection of their owners.

Im thankful you did not have to go through it yourself.
Max was the yellow lab I had for 19 years, he was the goofiest dog I had ever seen. I got him when he was 6weeks old at a flea market, didnt go there looking for a dog just happened to be down from Austin visiting friends... But these people were selling pups for $60, I offered $20 because he had my birthday, I had never known anyone with the same and I had just moved to Austin and thought he'd be company.
That dog was scared of his own shadow at times, I bought a conputer and he'd bark at it, bring in a cooler he would bark. Tried to teach him to retrieve, that didnt go well, if he saw me take a shotgun out he would curl up in a ball and drool everywhere. Put him in the cab of my truck, drool everywhere, he would ride in the back all day long happy as a lark but couldnt stand to be in the cab.
We would go to the lake everyday I would throw rocks and we would dive underwater for 20 or so seconds to find a rock to bring back to me...funniest thing i had seen...
Ffwd 10 yrs Im married ( wife didnt like dogs, maybe a commie?) and my youngest was about 4 mos old. My wife had come home and was getting the girls out of the car when the nieghbors 2 chows charged her ( they were pretty mean), Max was at the fence & remember this dog is scared of his own shadow, but he jumped the fence and intercepted the first dog knocking it on its *** and proceeded to stay on top of it. Max was only 45lbs very lean and muscular though the other dog stopped and just watch him assert his dominace.
The fam made it to the door and my wife called him and he came with his tell rucked thinking he had done something wrong... From that momement my wife loved him maybe more than she loved me...
When he got sick it killed me there was no way to help him, kidney failure... I could cry now thinking about that dog...
There wil never be another Max....King, or Boo as every owner does have that one that was so special.
Thanks for sharing your story BC! Sorry for the ramble!

Thanks. VERY nice post.
I/we've rescued Huskies since about 1990. I was single, and got my first one when she was about 6 months old from a local dog pound. I knew her history, and she was neglected. The 1st owner had a 5 year-old male, and bought her[Lucy] to breed for income. He had paid 2400 bucks for her. He had to move, and turned both dogs loose in a urban area...because he couldn't wait another day for my work partner and I to come get them. He worked out-town construction, and would leave a bag of food and 5-gallon water-buckets for them to live on. The male dominated her, and she was malnourished and emotionally beaten down. When I picked her up from the pound, she'd spent an entire Holiday-weekend under a bench in the "male" dogs pen. She was terrified. I took her home in a a ball...and it was nearly 2 days before I saw what she really looked like. She was extremely intelligent, and untrusting. I set myself up for an extreme learning-curve about the breed. It actually took her about 11 months to actually "bond" with me.....but from then-on, I was "her" human. We were always the "alphas" in our pack, for as long as she was with me. She lived to almost 18 years old, and as much as I love all my fuzzy-kids....there will never be another Lucretia/Lucy. They all have such individual personalities, and she was the loyal-protector. She was also an escape-artist[Houdini], when left alone, due to separation anxiety. That was another thing I learned about the breed. PACK ANIMALS, who hate being alone. Anyways, I'll always cherish my time with Lucy, and forever be grateful for the life-lessons and loyalty she bestowed upon me. I have a very hard time with these posts.

Lucy was the white Husky. I'll post about each one individually.
mlqjjp.jpg

Last edited:
Maddy&Snuffer from the late '90's. Sisters that always knew exactly what you wanted. The better-half took them to Children's Hospital on volunteer duty. They absolutely loved everyone!

Dogs1.jpg

Lily,Sammy,Riley top to bottom. Just lost Sammy after 14 yrs. Normal Goldens, but they can't hold a candle to the other two in previous post. Although Lily did attack a big German Shepherd that ventured in to the yard a few yrs. ago! No backing down with her.

DSC01969.JPG

Maddy&Snuffer from the late '90's. Sisters that always knew exactly what you wanted. The better-half took them to Children's Hospital on volunteer duty. They absolutely loved everyone!

View attachment 404907
Comfort pups! Two of my current 4 pups have that 7th sense. (All dogs have the 6th sense, which is why I love all dogs)
But only a special few have the 7th sense. I'm convinced that some dogs were people in past lives.

In a different thread we were asked what to do if we won the lottery.
Screw politics and prostitutes.
I would set aside 80-160 acres and build a large no kill shelter for dogs only with a vet on staff.
Have living facilities to host potential families. I would try to cater to veterans but the dogs would be first and foremost concern.

You wouldn't believe the tests for dogs before they can get into a kids hospital. They have to withstand ear pulling,screaming,pans dropped on the floor beside them. Way more than for visits to other places.

My daughter's kuchi dog rescued from Afghanistan with help from the U.S.Army. Sammy's brother-Bailey on the right. She does rescue stuff in Columbus,Oh.

IMG_0243.JPG

mmissile--- per your previous.LIKEWISE.

I've had some great animals in my life,
my dogs were/are my companions, with me 24/7 now
I rarely go anywhere I don't or can't take my dog/s...

Dog #1
I 1st had a Scottish Terrier name Blacky {how original}
I got him when I was just a baby, he was my best buddy,
my parents say; "he was always with me everywhere,
he'd always ride next to me, outside playing, or on my tricycle
or in my wagon etc.

I was about 5-6 maybe when he was sick & died...

Just days before we were going to move to a nice new house,
big yard in a court with lots of kids etc., he would have loved it...
I found out latter he was actually poisoned by one of our neighbors
{crotchety old man/lady next door, throwing rat poison in hotdogs over the fence}
when I still lived in Oakland...

You can imagine I was pissed, when I finally found out, many years latter...

I was told my new step father, went over the day we were moving
back to Concord Ca., a nicer suburbia nice big yard big house etc.,
he told the guy he knew it was him that poisoned my Blacky...
I remember the guy crying & begging for forgiveness,
probably scared he was going to get his *** kicked &/or thrown in jail...
I didn't really know what was going on then thou...

Dog #2
When we got to the new house in Concord, we got a English sheepdog
puppy named "Lady", just a big ball of fur, it was pretty cool
I was surprised actually, my step dad "Bob" was a cat guy really,
never had a dog of his own, didn't really even like dogs,
always only had cats as a child growing up...

She was a great dog followed me & my sister Candy {one of 5}
all over where ever we went, no leash ever, we'd get out od school
Lady was there waiting on the front lawn, she'd run & great us...

When Lady was about 3-4 my sister Candy got a German Sheperd puppy
named "Beary" supposedly was going to be a Seeing Eye Dog for the blind,
she didn't pass for some reason I don't remember why, so we just kept her...
Now we had 2 great dogs...
One day we get home from school no "lady" on the front lawn,
something was wrong, she was always there rain sun whatever, waiting...
My stepdad said "she had ran away", {something was amiss}
so I beg my Mom to take us to the pound & see if she was caught by the
Animal control/dog catcher, but he knew US & here, he'd just bring her back
but she never ran or strayed ever before...
Much latter in life, it was told to US by an older sister Lori,
she was not a runaway {she was taken away, given away by Bob, he didn't want 2 dogs}
we use to always see stories about dogs from hundreds of miles away
finding their way back home, I always was hopeful she'd come back...
Rescue place where they specialized in Sheep Dog breeds
is where he "allegedly took her"...
I am still pissed my step father about that lie...

to be continued,
I've had many dogs & many stories,
I'm upto about 1968-69 sofar...

I am still pissed my step father about that lie...

What a fuckhead. If he's still alive, I'd have him committed to a dementia ward.
Paybacks a bitch!

Can't trust people who don't like dogs

only a short one from me
when I found out George had terminal cancer I couldn't let the vet put him down right there and then ,took him home for a couple of days to say goodbye and work myself up to it . he was a "watch dog" first and foremost if I said "on patrol " he was at the gate/ fence from that moment to when I said "off duty " . when I brought him home he could hardly walk but several times a night he was still getting up and "checking" the doors . something he had done all his life he would give the door a nudge with his nose to make sure it was shut you could hear the door thump when he did it . not the best pic ,it was taken by the neighbour to show me what he came home to everyday ( George on patrol ) he was about 10 years old here

DSC_0054[1] (2).jpg

Man...woke up last night thinking about a pet we rescued from someone else that had rescued him. You could tell he wasn't happy where he was was and even seemed to be pissed off at the world but we took him in anyways. When we got him home, it was like a light switch was turned on and he immediately became a totally different animal and was all happy and loving! Can't go into details because it's already too hard to read the screen from trying to keep my eyes dry after reading the first post and thinking about losing past friends....

il_fullxfull.750517762_d21p.jpg

Here's the poem to go with the picture...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

My Cassie. I can't type anything about her right now because my tears will short out the computer.

Blabby.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Here's Lucy! We saved her from the pound. She didn't want to come home with us - she was afraid of my big white GMC Denali. She wouldn't jump in and my wife asked me to help her get in. Well Lucy wasn't having that and she growled to tell me she would bite if I tried t o put her in the car. I told my wife that I wasn't going to get bitten for trying to be a nice guy and that Lucy could go back into the pound. My wife started crying and begged me to try once more to get her in the truck, so I did. Lucy reluctantly let me lift her into the truck and as we drove home, she was peeing and pooping because she was so scared to be in the truck. Fast forward...Lucy loves her home now and her dad (me) is the top dog in her pack. She still hates riding in my truck, so she doesn't go with me to most places I go to. But she loves getting dressed up with rabbit ears, bandannas, sweaters, etc.. My favorite thing to put on her is a rubber jockey/saddle. The jockey bobs up and down realistically when Lucy runs. So funny. Here is a poor photo of her with her jockey:
You_Doodle_2017-03-17T13_24_03Z.jpg

IMG_1480.JPG

Her mom is the one buying all the outfits for her. Her dad buys things like jockeys and antlers!

Last edited:
This is/was Dixie my beloved Border Collie. She was my best friend for 10 years. She was the best friend of my whole family.
I rescued her at 9 months old from a family that we suspected had abused her. She was timid and would do the submissive peeing a lot. It took two years to break her out of that. Anyone that knows this breed knows that they are EXTREMELY smart. Dixie was no exception. She was an incredible guard dog. Anyone coming to the door had to pass by her first. She would bark and sniff and once she figured you were ok she would welcome you in.
One summer I had the pop up camper set up in the backyard for the kids to hang out in. I got a call from my then GF that Dixie had some kid cornered in the camper because he jumped the fence and tried to steal some of the stuff inside. I rushed home and there she was circling it like indians on a wagon train. I look inside and theres the kids holding the door shut. She kept him at bay until I got home.

She never needed a leash. We would take her to the park with our grandson and all the kids would come over and pet her. One mother complained that she wasn't on a leash. I told her that Dixie would protect her child better than she ever could.

The tricks I taught her were great. She would sit in front of me and I would point my finger and say "BANG" and she would drop dead. She could count to three, knew left and right and if I slapped my thigh she would come to my side among many others. She was a dog that was always welcomed at indoor gatherings because everyone loved her.

The biggest complaint of her was the fact that she was always under our feet. She had to be near us at all times. And we would end up stepping on her. When my alarm would go off in the morning I would get out of bed and end up stepping on her. She learned quickly though. She would move from my side to the front of the bed when the alarm rang. I knew she was on my side because my slippers were flat and warm because she would lay her head on them.

When I found out that she had cancer I broke down and cried. We put her on a holistic regimen and she lasted a good healthy 6 months. One day I woke up and decided to take the day off from work. I don't know if it was instinct or what but that was the day she passed. I cried for days. A lot of my family cried. She was that good. She passed at 10 years and 9 months.

Dixie was "The ONE"

week of 5-10-12 153.jpg Jan. 21, 2012 003.jpg July 30 & 31 2010 191.jpg satellite 004.jpg

Now I have Betty. Australian Shepard/Papilion mix. She was a rescue. The people said that she was difficult to get close to and would need time to get used to us. This pic is of her after about 1/2 hour of getting her home. It took her no time at all to love our family. I think she was just grateful to get out of the situation she was in.

me and betty.jpg another betty.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back