• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder Finish

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
What are you guys doing to keep the new master cylinder’s from rusting ? Mine looks like crap after only 6 months. Thanks Mike
57575576-5681-46A7-B85D-7530ADACEC73.jpeg

it depends if you want it to pass as factory original or not. factory original is bare metal. and for good reason. most paints do not hold up well against brake fluid seepage from joints and the upper seal.

i've restored a few with an iron phosphate coating that holds up well to west coast sea air. But even after 4-5 years out in the car port, some rust is evident. iron phosphate is blackish and looks much like aged cast iron with patina.

a zinc phosphate coating (in black) would be my next choice for durability and fighting rust, while still having the appearance of bare metal with patina.

there are some paints that may look like metal, but I've not used them on a master cylinder. a rattle can paint damaged by brake fluid make look worse than the bare metal rusty color you have now.

i've considered using a ceramic paint, also in a bare metal color, that bakes on and should stand up considerably better against brake fluid damage.

I took some pictures of my assorted restorations years ago, and was able to take more pictures after a few years of street driving. If I can find them, I will post some.

I wonder how RPM (Rust Preventive Magic) would hold up?

Edit... That Boeshield stuff also

it depends if you want it to pass as factory original or not. factory original is bare metal. and for good reason. most paints do not hold up well against brake fluid seepage from joints and the upper seal.

i've restored a few with an iron phosphate coating that holds up well to west coast sea air. But even after 4-5 years out in the car port, some rust is evident. iron phosphate is blackish and looks much like aged cast iron with patina.

a zinc phosphate coating (in black) would be my next choice for durability and fighting rust, while still having the appearance of bare metal with patina.

there are some paints that may look like metal, but I've not used them on a master cylinder. a rattle can paint damaged by brake fluid make look worse than the bare metal rusty color you have now.

i've considered using a ceramic paint, also in a bare metal color, that bakes on and should stand up considerably better against brake fluid damage.

I took some pictures of my assorted restorations years ago, and was able to take more pictures after a few years of street driving. If I can find them, I will post some.
Thank you. That would be helpful. I’m not trying to be factory correct, just don’t like the rusty look.

I paint them with “cast blast” which is a close approximation of raw cast iron…

I used RPM on the Bee's after blasting it clean. 5+ years and zero rust. I did the HP2 last year and used Boeshield T9 and it's already gone for a ****...

Bare as cast iron on the main body
yellow zinc dichromate on the lid.
bare steel on the lid strap
black phosphate on the bolt

Clear or cast blast (Seymour)
And I always use synthetic fluid regular DOT3 is nasty stuff.

Not sure about other years, but fairly certain they were bkack in 67

My MC looks like crap now too. Years ago I got some brush-on black powder coating, a mixture as I remember, that I applied to the rear end axle housing I swapped in. Could smack it with a hammer and no chipping. Has to be at least 15 years and its held up. Can't remember the product. My thought is a brush on app like this would be easier with the MC in the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back