• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Met the original owner of my '68 Charger

Bob Sawyer

Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
We took the Charger and attended the Mopars in the Valley car show on Saturday. Although I came away from the event with a plaque, the highlight of the show for me was meeting the 78 y.o. man that purchased the Charger new from a dealership in Christiansburg, VA in 1968.
Back in 2015 while doing the restoration, I found a paper with a name on it. I Google searched the name and came up with a phone number. I called it and found the original owner. He identified several details of the car that confirmed him as the owner.
We've talked several times over the past couple months and arranged to meet at the car show on Saturday. He and his wife & grandson showed up. He had so many good stories to tell of the years when he owned it.
Here's a couple pics, one of he and his wife sitting in the car at the show Saturday.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

That's really cool. He looks kind of grumpy though, lol.

That is cool! Nice color combination which shows that he had good tastes in purchasing that car.

That's really cool and it doesn't happen very often. He was about 25 when he bought it, must of had some good stories.

Super Awesome!!! I'm sure he had mixed emotions, great to see the car looking as it did when new.. But seeing someone else holding the title.... Bet it brought back plenty of great memories though..

Nice when you meet the original owner. Did you ask if he had any paper work, a long shot.

That is so cool! I am fortunate to have known the original owners of both my Mopars. 1964 Fury and 1967 Coronet R/T. And at one of our first Mopar shows in Roanoke, my buddy had gotten in touch with the original owner of his 63 Sport Fury. That was about 1988, and the gentleman was well up in years, but he did show up and got to see his old car!

Absolutley fantastic!

Very nice. Bet he put the back seat through the paces in 1968.

I don't know what y'all are seeing, but the gentleman looks very dignified and even has an
ever-so-slight grin going, at least in one of the pics.
Trying to imagine what's going through his mind - that rush of memories, that melancoly
that's got to come with the combination of seeing your once-prized ride in all her original
condition glory - and not being the owner.
Thanks very much for sharing this, @Bob Sawyer - and I hope you see fit to share some of the
tales this gentleman had to offer!
(I love the stories around these cars...)

Good thing the charger had more room in the back than the competition :D

do you have any idea how hard it was to do the horizontal bop in the back seats of a '77 pontiac sunbird??????????
it can be done!
(methinks it's why i have back problems, and her, neck issues)

Nice car & a cool story...

Auto Transport Service
Back