• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most comfortable classic to travel cross country.

You guys are making me want a cruiser car.
I’ve not mellowed but I am curious about how I’d like a soft ride and really comfortable seats.
I drive a lowered Ram 1500.
The Wife has a Challenger R/T.
I’ve never owned a really comfortable car. I’ve always driven pickups for work and hit rod type cars for fun.
I have thought about a Fifth Avenue but the flogged out 318 would have to remain stock here in CA.
When I move away, I might look into a clean Fifth Ave. is build a mild 360 or a stroked roller cam 318 to get some more punch but still keep a mild cam for economy.
Around here I have seen a lot of sagged out rear springs in the Diplomats, 5th Avenues, through 1978 ish.

Around here I have seen a lot of sagged out rear springs in the Diplomats, 5th Avenues, through 1978 ish.
I put Dippy police car springs and rear sway bar in the back of my 5th Ave. I think it handled better after that. I also put police Certified 240 kph. speedometer in it, but it didn't go any faster, LOL

I had a '72 Fury III. It was a very comfortable highway cruiser.

One of my uncle's had a '71 Chrysler Imperial Lebanon. That was a great car!

Curious what classic Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge would make the most comfortable cross country adventure? B, C or D body? 65 Chrysler New Yorker, 70 Fury Sport, 69 Chrysler 300, 72 Imperial Lebanon? Any and all models would be of interest in what classic Mopar would make a comfortable ride for weeks of driving consisting of up to 8 hours of driving a day. Folks with real travel experiences is most appreciated.
I love traveling in my ‘79 Magnum. Not so surprising is the ‘79 Cordoba I had a long way back. It was only missing the 4bbl. on top of the 360, moon roof and HD suspension or tow suspension as they called it. Great ride, stone cold A/C, cruise… ahhhhhh, relaxing in the leather buckets in the cool air cruising I-95 south to visit people. Ummmmm

The Magnum (currently own) has the same under pining. Same ride feel. Missing the cruise control through. Right foot gets a little tired since I’m no longer used to NOT HAVING cruise control.

Lol, I see E body was excluded. Challenger, 2,300 mile round trip, 60-series non/radials, air shocks to keep the tires clear, no A/C, 3 people, luggage, back seat barely enough room to sit considering limited trunk space. More air required for the shocks. Was 20, I’d not do it again; but then it was my daily transportation
I had a 70 RT/SE, loved that car. I would have done a cross country trip in my twenties. But approaching 60 is a different story.

My friend took his 73 Dart,left Rhode Island drove to Chicago picked up route 66 and drove to California. He took as much of the old route 66 as possible. Stayed at the old motels and camped out too. He drove through LA and got on the Pacific Coast highway. He visited his friends in Northern California, then drove to Minneapolis to see his brother then back to Rhode Island. He drove 8800 miles round trip. He took three weeks to make the trip. Other than a tire breaking a belt which he changed before it blew out, and a failed axle bearing the old slant six Dart performed flawlessly. There's a guy on Dodge Charger. Com who drove his Superbird to Alaska.

My friend, Richard, has done a Hot Rod Power Tour, and two Highway 66 tours from near London, Ontario to L.A. and back with his 1966 Hemi Charger.

PA130095.JPG

PA130094.JPG

This was years ago, took my '68 Coronet R/T from SW Ontario to Boston, then to San Diego and back to SW Ontario. All to compete in the 1983 Four Ball Rally. (period version of the Cannonball).

We went cross country several times in my mom's 1st 57 Savoy
& later a Suburban Wagon
57 Plymouth Suburban Station Wagon Advert. #1.jpg

& my step dad had a 60 (61 ?) Pheonix/Dart (Mauve pink-ish colored) 2dr (IIRC)
with a 2x4bbl long ram wedge
that had the most comfortable bench seats even, pillow top like, like grandmas couch
it was comfy, he'd cruise at like 80 mph all the time, it rode great
really floaty
60 Dodge Pheonix 4dr Advert. #1.jpg

he also had a 57 Belvedere 2 dr HT that was extremely comfy too
almost looked just like the advert., same colors
57 Belvedere Advert. #1.jpg

But;
I remember the wagon more being way more fun & comfortable,
even being in the 3rd row back seat
facing backward

we did it in a (Ford) 57 DelRio 2 dr Ranch Wagon too
wasn't as fun & it rode rough, but I loved that car

57 Ford 2 dr Ranch Wagon Advert. #1.jpg

Curious what classic Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge would make the most comfortable cross country adventure? B, C or D body? 65 Chrysler New Yorker, 70 Fury Sport, 69 Chrysler 300, 72 Imperial Lebanon? Any and all models would be of interest in what classic Mopar would make a comfortable ride for weeks of driving consisting of up to 8 hours of driving a day. Folks with real travel experiences is most appreciated.
I drove from Cincinnati, OH, to Las Cruces, NM, in a 72 Chrysler New Yorker. Air, cruise, power seats, 440, like floating on a cloud. Loved the ride. Would do it again with the 66 coronet if it will ever stay together ling enough for me to do that.

My friend took his 73 Dart,left Rhode Island drove to Chicago picked up route 66 and drove to California. He took as much of the old route 66 as possible. Stayed at the old motels and camped out too. He drove through LA and got on the Pacific Coast highway. He visited his friends in Northern California, then drove to Minneapolis to see his brother then back to Rhode Island. He drove 8800 miles round trip. He took three weeks to make the trip. Other than a tire breaking a belt which he changed before it blew out, and a failed axle bearing the old slant six Dart performed flawlessly. There's a guy on Dodge Charger. Com who drove his Superbird to Alaska.
Five years ago while vacationing in New Mexico (RV’d from Albuquerque to Grand Canyon via Rt 66, awesome trip) met a guy from Rhode Island who drove his classic MG convertible from RI to Texas for a wedding then headed for California. The guy was as red as a lobster, but grinning ear to ear.

I drove from Cincinnati, OH, to Las Cruces, NM, in a 72 Chrysler New Yorker. Air, cruise, power seats, 440, like floating on a cloud. Loved the ride. Would do it again with the 66 coronet if it will ever stay together ling enough for me to do that.
That’s what I want to hear, A/C, cruise, power seats and comfort.

I'll be hitting the road in a few days for an 1800 mile adventure in an E body... Y'all who don't want to put in miles in an E body are a buncha pussies....

Auto Transport Service
Back