• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most comfortable classic to travel cross country.

I just bought 63 Belvedere from a member here in Minnesota and drove it to San Diego to be shipped. I did not expect bench seat to be so comfortable! No back pain or anything. With sight seeing and around 2800 miles with current heatwave it did great. I did have some overheating issues at some point, but looking back I think it still did great. I think 110-118F of Arizona and Nevada heat and constant climbing might cause overheating to any car. I wish road trip was longer, but life is waiting to get back to. Gas mileage never dipped bellow 17 mpg, some legs 18-21 mpg

E245BF88-6C3D-47C1-85B1-054FCE78EF0F.jpeg

6B662AAB-735D-49CB-ACDE-DAC19734B382.jpeg

Curious what classic Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge would make the most comfortable cross country adventure? B, C or D body? 65 Chrysler New Yorker, 70 Fury Sport, 69 Chrysler 300, 72 Imperial Lebanon? Any and all models would be of interest in what classic Mopar would make a comfortable ride for weeks of driving consisting of up to 8 hours of driving a day. Folks with real travel experiences is most appreciated.
50s and earlier - None

60s - 67-68 Imperial
70s - Pretty much any big block powered C -body
80s - Chrysler 5th Ave

Ive taken my 66 Satellite on a couple 6 to 8 hr trips and that was enough. Any farther I'll trailer it. Or break it up into short days.
I'm actually thinking about a trip to Santa Rosa NM in Sept. But it will be trailered up.

Last edited:
50s and earlier - None

60s - 67-68 Imperial
80s - Chrysler 5th Ave

Ive taken my 66 Satellite on a couple 6 to 8 hr trips and that was enough. Any farther I'll trailer it. Or break it up into short days.
I'm actually thinking about a trip to Santa Rosa NM in Sept. But it will be trailered up.
We had a quite fully loaded 68 300 TNT with buckets that you could drive for hours, no problems at all.
I put 66 tracks/ brackets in our Charger, kept adjusting angles distance until the wife felt comfortable. Made the trip to Farmington, on to Detroit for the Charger 50th, then back home.
She said it was one of the most enjoyable rides she went on.
If I ever get this car finished, we want to do another road trip. Age is creeping up can’t lay on the ground in a parts store parking lot in Oklahoma and change a fuel filter in our B350 camper van anymore.
(Our opinion only) we like to drive our cars. You meet so many interesting people along the way. Plus buying an trailer and tow vehicle , would not give us our value.
Our saying is, that if it is on a trailer, it has broken down, stolen or sold to a new owner. Except under the ongoing assembly.
I suggest trying to adjust your seats and do some test drives.
On our trip we would leave about 6am drive to 2pm and get a room usually on State highways, had a wonderful time.
PLEASE under any circumstances do not take this personal.

We had a quite fully loaded 68 300 TNT with buckets that you could drive for hours, no problems at all.
I put 66 tracks/ brackets in our Charger, kept adjusting angles distance until the wife felt comfortable. Made the trip to Farmington, on to Detroit for the Charger 50th, then back home.
If I ever get this car finished, we want to do another road trip. Age is creeping up can’t lay on the ground in a parts store parking lot in Oklahoma and change a fuel filter in our B350 camper van anymore.
(Our opinion only) we like to drive our cars. You meet so many interesting people along the way. Plus buying an trailer and tow vehicle , would not give us our value.
Our saying is, that if it is on a trailer, it has broken down, stolen or sold to a new owner. Except under the ongoing assembly.
On our trip we would leave about 6am drive to 2pm and get a room usually on State highways, had a wonderful time.
Sounds to me like you had a great trip, no one should be upset in any way...

Somehow missed this thread.....the most enjoyable ride I had was my '70 Road Runner....4 speed and 440 4BBL. I took that thing everywhere....including several trips up and down our North Island. Usually a good 300-400 mile round trip. Bench seat and long pistol grip, a pleasure to drive and enjoyable all the way. Only ever stopped for food, gas or a leak.....tried to minimise stops, so I had it in my head where I was stopping each time. Our roads are nowhere near the quality of your freeways, so I cannot compare comfort with USA ...but for here it was a great riding car.

The most comfortable ride I owned was a 1981 4-door Range Rover. Buick V8 3500cc engine (about 14 washing machines) and a 4-speed plus manual overdrive. One of the very first 4-door versions built (first week of production) - and it was really comfortable to drive and be in. We had all our camping gear, food, clothes and it was loaded. We even ended up collecting an Aussie hitchhiker --- bludger more like. We were glad to get shot of him.....never reached into his pocket for anything.

My wife and I finished our time in Europe in that vehicle.....8,500 miles roughly in 9 weeks. Started from London, caught a ferry to Stockholm, Sweden, and toured right up to Hammerfest, Norway, then back through Finland and into Germany via Denmark. Then made our way down through Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy all the way down to Rome. The thought of going further wa stempting, but we had a ferry to England to catch. So we cruised back up through the French Riviera, along to Spain and up through Andorra.
Finally took in a few more towns in France and eventually caught another ferry back to Dover. We had about 2 weeks to pack up belongings of nearly 7 years and flew back home.

:xscuseless: Don't have any saved pics of my Range Rover to hand.....
70 RR June 1990 reduced.jpg

I still own the personalised plate after around 35 years. :p

My friend flew to LA from Connecticut bought a 66 Imperial for $1500,and picked up a 71 Cuda that he had shipped to the dock from Hawaii. He towed the Cuda back to Connecticut from LA,with the Imperial,using a towbar.

20210424_153437.jpg

50s and earlier - None

60s - 67-68 Imperial
80s - Chrysler 5th ave

All good here.

The longest trip we took was almost 8 hours. And by the time we got home. Both wife and I were damn glad to get out of it. 110 AZ heat in a black car with no ac. Opening the floor vents felt like opening a blast furnace.
Worst part it seems like the sun was on the wife most of the trip. So needless to say ,,,,mainly for her it was brutal drive home.

it was a road trip up to northern eastern Az ( Show Low , Pinetop, Lakeside area ) The drive up a few days earlier was much better. But we had left earlier in the morning so wasn't driving in the heat of the day. But that was maybe about 6 hours total and we made some nice stops along the way. Even at that both of us were glad to get out of it. The trip back home we left a couple hours later than planned, and on top of that we got diverted about 2 or 3 hours out of the way due to forest fires in the mountains.
Its a trip I think we will take again,,,,only at a different time of the year when it isn't so hot .

And I have given it some thought to recline the seat back a little. But it was mostly the heat. Since that trip I have gutted the interior and insulated it and it did help a good bit

194404782_4747107651985037_8426441675468914826_n.jpg

193299558_4738486679513801_5668917531993604008_n.jpg

193486516_4747099671985835_5679192949011139485_n.jpg

193767375_4740599279302541_4109717723819961220_n.jpg

20230512_110825.jpg

One thing I noted in my 66 - and that is not going on any huge long rides like you all have posted.

The black interior, vent windows and 90+ degree heat will suck the moisture out of you and dehydrate you so fast your head will hurt (literally) also I think another big factor in the older cars is the glass doesnt reflect the UV rays the same as newer ones do, which most likely compounds all the issues above exponentially. OK I just wanted to use that word on FBBO :)

But can anyone verify the difference in windows making a big difference? For some reason I feel it I know that is the case but I make stuff up all the time so who knows....

This was years ago, took my '68 Coronet R/T from SW Ontario to Boston, then to San Diego and back to SW Ontario. All to compete in the 1983 Four Ball Rally. (period version of the Cannonball).
68_RT_and_83_Nautique.jpg

Here is the car, minus the ski boat for the trip of course.

I did OH to FL and back a few times in my 67 Coronet bench seat.

That was fine.

Did it in my 73 Duster with 75-ish Cordoba bucket seats. Also fine.

Don't think I could do it in my 73 Satellite, as the seats seem lower and are not as comfortable despite being virtually identical to the Cordoba units.
Must have been the extra puffy Corinthian leather.

Last edited:
I did Cincinnati to the Firecracker 400 at Daytona a few times in my Duster. Comfortable as that car had the best AC of any vehicle I've ever owned.

My friend flew to LA from Connecticut bought a 66 Imperial for $1500,and picked up a 71 Cuda that he had shipped to the dock from Hawaii. He towed the Cuda back to Connecticut from LA,with the Imperial,using a towbar.

View attachment 1500395
@chargervert Was the trunk floor and shock mount cross member cut out when your friend bought the cuda

Last edited:
I drove this to Alaska and back to Florida. Real comfy ride. 1983 classic b250 E X T E N D E D van. LOL!
20200709_182217.jpg

But can anyone verify the difference in windows making a big difference? For some reason I feel it I know that is the case but I make stuff up all the time so who knows....
Windows all the same when you roll them down, since most our cars has no AC?

Hell, next year my
1999 Dakota SLT 4x4 Magnum V8/5.2ltr ext. cab/7' bed
with just under 61k miles now,
it will be 25 in 2024, it's or I considered a classic now,
it's pretty damn comfy for a pick-em' up
from Tuolumne Co. Ca., been to Emmett, Idaho 600-ish miles each way
& back twice a year for 5 years, visiting a buddy Emmit that's gone now
been to Milwaukee Or. & back twice a year for 5 years, 700+ each way
to go visit my oldest sister Lori
go to Redbluff probably 4 times a year to visit my 2nd oldest sister Candy
275+ miles each way
hell most the miles on my 99 Dakota are going to visit family
Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

seems like;
Everything & Everywhere is 100+ mile away from here...
I wouldn't have it any other way either...

On topic
I'd rather ride in a 70 Sport Fury GT HT S23,
if it had a/c & cruise control, my favorite big car
pass everything except a gas station

70 Sport Fury GT & S-23 Advert. #1.jpg

I've been back & forth across the nation west to east coast
maybe 15 times over 35+ (of almost 45) years of racing
95 & 98 Power Rams 4x4 3500 5.9ltr 12 valve Cummin turbo
lifted & shortened W/B 4x4s
that was brutal, both had over 350k mile on them when sold...

A few times (5 maybe) in a Class A 37' (?) 252" w/b 320hp Cat/Allison 5 speed
1997 Safari Serengeti (it's now a classic) motorhome,
it was like luxury, like driving your couch down the hwy
Or in 1 ton GM truck/s (a couple were lowered too :BangHead:
&/or an Intermediate 90's Kodiac all towing a 43ft Featherlite 2 car trailer
Budnicks 97 Safari Serengeti #2 Motorhome Cat Pusher PS.jpg

everyone was using them back then

Hell, when I 1st started traveling/racing 1977-78
I went all up & down the western states with a
1976 Chevy (1500 or 3100 ?) heavy-half step-side short-bed,
brownish mustard colored, lowered a lil', with air-bag assist on the rear
towing a BigTex 19' open trailer, with either my 23 altered or my 67 Camaro...
all my stuff in the back... I bought used & put 90k+ on it no real problems

I had the god d--n POS HEI module or coil 'crap out' on me
3-4 times, in the middle of nowhere

I thought I was in 'the good stuff', it's what I could afford, I was young
I learned fast it wasn't, "the good stuff"
the shorter wheelbase the worse the roads are no matter
if you're towing or not...

I did the AlCan Hwy up thru BC & Yukon terr. into Toke Junction, Ak
& down to Anchorage
1st 2 times in a new 84 & later an 85 Toyota SR5 4x4 pick ups
that was brutal, had all my stuff in the back the 1st time,
a buddy drove with me & my 2 dogs, 1 prego
not the most comfortable trips, makes you appreciate the comfort
or newer cars and even the trucks today (even a 99)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back