• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Got the outside bottom rear corner of the driver quarter panel filled in . . .

Got back out to the shop tonight and was determined to get the missing part of the driver quarter filled in . . .

This is what I had to start with . . .

sm_drqtr18.jpg

This is the example of how it needed to look from my neighbors car . . .

sm_howitshouldlook.jpg

And this is what I got done with the metalwork . . .

sm_drqtr20.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results ! ! !

Car Show Weekend . . .

This weekend is the Annual Food Lion Auto Fair at the speedway - it's the largest show that I've ever attended, and if you have the strength to walk all of the fields for 4 days, you can find a lot of "treasures" among all the junk that is sitting out there and for sale . . .

I found a really nice Mopar passenger side mirror for KB67Mopar one year - for $5 ! ! Not everybody thinks their stuff if worth MILLIONS !!!

I'll be wandering around looking at the stiff and seeing if there is anything that strikes my fancy . . . or some new tool additions to the shop.

Should be great weekend !

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice work Kahn. Looks like a good match to the one at the neighbors

Thanks Goon . . . I'm pretty happy with the final results ! ! Surprised myself too ! !

- - - Updated - - -

keep it up. you are getting there.

Thanks a68postcar . . . much appreciated . . . I actually feel like I'm getting close . . . it's exciting ! ! !

Hey Kahn, I was there! Didn't see you though! LOL
I was there on Friday, and managed to walk the 2 fields on the inside of the track.
I found nothing! Didn't even see a whole lot for us mopar guys, but I honestly did not think I would find much.
But if your a chevy or ford guy, that show had tonnage!

Dang computers . . . .

Have I ever told you how much I can despise computers . . . Grrrrrrrrrrr

My OS hard drive crashed hard - non-recoverable. Thank goodness I've got my importatnt stuff stored on another drive ( note - not a different partiion on the same drive, a whole different drive )

When the dirve goes - everything on the drive is usually TRASHED . . . but, put it on a different drive and you will probably save your important documents . . .

I've got pics from the Food Lion Auto Fair from the weekend . . .

A new toy that I got and want to share . . .

And car updates . . .

But I'm "tempoorarily" on an old laptop until I can figure out the desktop computer . . . trying to upgrade it to a solid state HD . . . it's fighting me all the way . . . Fallback plan, the computer is already 5-6 years old, time to buy a new on IF I can get Windows 7 and NOT Windows 8 ! ! !

Sorry . . . dang computer can really dirve me crazy at times . . . Argh ! ! !

Have I ever told you how much I can despise computers . . . Grrrrrrrrrrr

My OS hard drive crashed hard - non-recoverable. Thank goodness I've got my importatnt stuff stored on another drive ( note - not a different partiion on the same drive, a whole different drive )

When the dirve goes - everything on the drive is usually TRASHED . . . but, put it on a different drive and you will probably save your important documents . . .

I've got pics from the Food Lion Auto Fair from the weekend . . .

A new toy that I got and want to share . . .

And car updates . . .

But I'm "tempoorarily" on an old laptop until I can figure out the desktop computer . . . trying to upgrade it to a solid state HD . . . it's fighting me all the way . . . Fallback plan, the computer is already 5-6 years old, time to buy a new on IF I can get Windows 7 and NOT Windows 8 ! ! !

Sorry . . . dang computer can really dirve me crazy at times . . . Argh ! ! !

Computer problems suck but at least you had the forethought to have a second drive for the important stuff. My computer that is hooked up to my TV has 3 drives total just for that reason. One for the os (Linux not Windows) and the other two for Movies and TV shows. The fun part was networking those drives so my Windows computers could access them. 5 to 6 year old computer, yea it's time for a new machine and once you go to a solid state drive except for the size limitation you'll never go back.

Finally posting the car show pictures from last weekend - got computer fall back work

The car show from last weekend, the Food Lion AutoFair, was huge . . .and as MoparForDon indicated, there was "tonage" for non Mopar cars . . . but here's a bunch of cars that were sitting in the same location as the group I attend with . . . must have been the local Mopar club . . .

The show was inside Lowes Motor Speedway, and you can see that these cars are sitting in front of the NASCAR garages . . .

sm_autofair2015-01.jpg

sm_autofair2015-02.jpg

sm_autofair2015-03.jpg

sm_autofair2015-04.jpg

sm_autofair2015-05.jpg

How about this . . . a 1966 Belvedere convertible ! !

sm_autofair2015-06.jpg

sm_autofair2015-07.jpg

And lastly . . . Woodward Fab, who always attends the show, was there again and had their "last" Plasma Cutter they brought out with a clearance price on it . . . well . . . needless to say, it came home with me ! ! !

sm_newshoptoo2015.jpg

Have NOT yet had a chance to tinker with it yet, been busy with a BUNCH of things this week, including this darn computer issue, but I can't wait to test it out ! !

Nice!!!!!!!!! I love the 66 Vert. Looks like the shows will be firing off next month up here other than a few early ones, looking forward to getting out instead of working myself to death around the house!

Made some progress . . .

Got a chance to get out in the shop and work on the Belvedere . . .

Got started on the support for the seat backs, and had a blast in the process . . . took the parts that I got cut ans got them tacked together, then got the cross member cut so the new support can be fitted into the newly cut holes . . .

sm_seatbackbar-01.jpg

Once I got it in place I had to figure out how much of the bottom needed to be cut off so that the top of the support would be in the right location . . .. and mark it so it can be cut . . .

Got it cut and fitted into place . . .

sm_seatbackbar-02.jpg

Fitment on the tight side . . .

sm_seatbackbar-03.jpg

Fitment on the left side . . .

sm_seatbackbar-04.jpg

Need to get a little more fitment squared away and I'll be ready to weld it into place . . .

I bet you wish you had bought that plasma cutter when you started! I wish I had one. Those are right up there with welders in usefulness.

Plasma cutter review . . . will be provided when it stops raining and I can test it

So, I finally get this neat machine and I still have yet to give it a test so that I can review it for the members of this forum. First of all, it's been raining down here so much, I've been told that using this will create a LOT of nasty smelling gasses, so I want to run the thing outside - but the weather has not been allowing me to even get a test run in . . .yet.

Second, good thing I got a large tank on my air tank, as I've only got (1) 220 outlet in my shop, so I'll have to run the compressor and fill up the tank, then swap to the plasma cutter and run it for a bit, and continue that process until I get it all done . . .

Hope to fill you in on the details as soon as I can test it . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Progress Kahn! and that Plasma cutter is gonna come in handy!

Thanks for the vote of confidence GOON . . .I think I will be liking the cutter too . . . I'll let you know . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you wish you had bought that plasma cutter when you started! I wish I had one. Those are right up there with welders in usefulness.

Yes KB67 . . . that is a fact, but we do what we got to do and pick up the tools when we can . . . Argh ! ! Can't wait to give this baby a test and see how it works . . .

Like I told you, with all the dang rain we've been getting this Spring, I may have to sell my car and buy an ARK, but then you so aptly pointed out that the B-body is really like a boat, and I've fixed all the holes in the metal already, so I've really already got DAS BOAT ! !

Last edited:
Still on the seat back frame - rollbar kinda thingy . . .

Been out in the shop all week, but only getting a couple hours in each night, so I've made some progress on the seat back and it's time to get them posted . . .

Got the frame joints welded, and sanded down with my patented MAG technology ( MIG and Grind, and Grind . . . ) . . . got it fitted and tacked into place . . .

sm_seatbackbar-05.jpg

So now when the seat is in the upright and locked position, it's resting nicely on the frame . . .

sm_seatbackbar-06.jpg

And these are the locks that will hold the seats in place - the alignment turned out very nicely ( for a change ) and I'll need to make a little wedge shaped bracket to support the locking mechanism . . .
sm_seatbackbar-07.jpg

Working out pretty nicely so far . . .

Got this finished up last night but the computer and camera did not wan to cooperate.

Got the wedge cut for the driver side . . .

sm_seatbackbar-08.jpg

Now to get it tacked into place, get the bracket fitted to the wedge so it can be screwed down, and "try" and make this all happen so that when you push the seat back it properly latches and holds the seat back in place . . .

Then on to the passenger side to do it all over again . . .

Then weld the whole bracket in place ( it's only tacked in place right now )

Last edited:
Afternoon and night shift progress . . .

What a great weekend, rainy and cool 50s, and so enjoyable to be spending time in the shop making some progress on the Belvedere.

Got back in the shop for the afternoon and evening, and made even more progress on the rear seat support frame ( rollbar ? ) . . . so I got the front nut plate welded in place as needed . . .

sm_seatbackbar-09.jpg

and the side nut plate installed as needed . . .

sm_seatbackbar-10.jpg

And screwed in the locking bracket - to see the alignment . . .

sm_seatbackbar-11.jpg

And the seat locks as needed with the current setup . . .

sm_seatbackbar-12.jpg

Now the most frustrating thing . . .
maybe 30 minutes later, the passenger side was all tacked into place and ready for a test fit . . . success ! ! !

sm_seatbackbar-13.jpg

The seats bolted in place and locked into place as needed ( first time ) I like ! ! !

sm_seatsinstalled.jpg

Side track . . . since this is a Mad Scientist Build, and every Mad Scientist that I've ever seen on the movies has a sidekick, Igor, I decided it was time to make my Igor sidekick for the shop . . .

Meet the beginnings of Igor - I picked up some old, rusty tools at the swap meet, and plan to use them to create my sidekick . . . here's a start . . .

sm_sidekick.jpg

Igor....its the start of something magnificently horrifying.

Back when I was in college I worked for a company that did a yearly golf outing. For kicks one day myself and Dan welded up a little metal man golfing as a trophy.....I ran into Dan after 7 years and learned that even though he had switched companies he carries on my tradition ever year for their golf outing....Igor reminded me of that...thought that was kinda funny

Igor has his game face on! I love it!!

Nice work on the seats Kahn great to see them resting where they're supposed to and get an idea of the finished product!

I follow so many of these builds and one thing I notice is most people taking the time to jump from Body/fab work to mechanical back and forth just to give themselves a break... you've been at this fab process for hard and that takes determination not to get burnt out.

The Belvie will be Fer Racin' in NO TIME!!!

Back out in the shop tonight . . . nice weather

Got to take advantage of the great Spring that we're having here in NC and get out to the shop and work on the Belvedere . . .

The temps have been great and getting out to the shop and welding has been a dream, so I better take advantage of it while I can before the Summer HEAT hits us . . . and welding is a sweating mess . . .

So I got a chance to weld up some of the seat back support . . . and it looks like someone else was doing the welding and not me . . . those don't look like my Mig-And-Grind welds . . .

sm_seatbackbar-14.jpg

So, now that the driver side quarter panel is completed, the only thing left on the car is the passenger side quarter panel and attaching the outer-inner panel to the wheel well lip ( after rolling over the lip to prevent scraping the tire ) . . . so I finally cut it out . . . time to fix it . . .

sm_seatbackbar-15.jpg

And the amount of dirt that was pulled out of the lower part of the quarter panel is unbelievable . . . this is part of it, I'll probably have to vacuum a bunch out to get it out !

sm_seatbackbar-16.jpg

Got to fix a BUNCH of pitting that is on this panel, but it's time to get it finished up . . .

Then . . . get the engine on the front suspension, under the car, cut out the old hump, and figure out if I can fit in the 2014 Hump I cut out ( I hope ) and we're about done with metal work ! ! !

Priming and body work seem to be right around the corner . . . oh boy ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

- - - Updated - - -

Igor....its the start of something magnificently horrifying.

Back when I was in college I worked for a company that did a yearly golf outing. For kicks one day myself and Dan welded up a little metal man golfing as a trophy.....I ran into Dan after 7 years and learned that even though he had switched companies he carries on my tradition ever year for their golf outing....Igor reminded me of that...thought that was kinda funny

Neat story KB67 . . . got ideas on how to finish up Igor, I'll post him when I'm done . . . or as I'm working on him . . . should be a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Igor has his game face on! I love it!!

Nice work on the seats Kahn great to see them resting where they're supposed to and get an idea of the finished product!

I follow so many of these builds and one thing I notice is most people taking the time to jump from Body/fab work to mechanical back and forth just to give themselves a break... you've been at this fab process for hard and that takes determination not to get burnt out.

The Belvie will be Fer Racin' in NO TIME!!!

Thanks GOON . . . nice weather and a bunch of motivation driving me to continue the work to complete this bad boy ! ! !

I'm ready to finish up the metal work and move on to the body work - maybe ? ? ?

- - - Updated - - -

great fab work Khan

Keep at it buddy you ... are really coming along

Thanks Tallhair . . . I'm thinking the same thing as things are starting to come together ! !

Auto Transport Service
Back