• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My column shift is out of sync

pistolero5150

Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a '65 Coronet with the 318 and a 727 torqueflite. It's a column shift. The transmission will only shift into 3rd gear if I move the shifter over to neutral. If I leave it in drive it will stay in second gear. And to get reverse, I have to go past R to P, then back again for it to engage. It works but it's not right and I'd like to dial it in. I have a manual and it has a gear shift cable adjustment, which I attempted but it made no difference. It goes through the gears nicely, but it's just not lined up on the steering column. It doesn't mention any adjustment at the steering column, so I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem?

On my charger this was a couple worn out plastic bushings on the linkage that connects the column to the trans shift mechanism. Is under the driver's floor pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back