• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new shop.

Paint booth. Office. Lift. Lucky!!

Where are you putting your compressor?

in the model they are hard to see, but there are 2 compressors stacked in a corner behind the paint booth. I picked up a 5 HP 60 gallon low rpm compressor from a MN company called "C-Aire" about a year ago. It replaced an aluminum pump 2 stage high rpm unit on an 80 gallon tank that I had been running for about 15 years, which was a sams club special. My new C-Aire runs at about half the RPM and still makes more air than my old screamer. I will be purchasing one more of the same model compressor very soon and I will tie the 2 together and offset the cut in switches so that they come on in stages in need be. Mush of the time only one of the compressors will run, but if I'm using a lot of air the second unit will kick on and my CFM will double.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of heat are you installing?
Have you considered boiler system for hot water in the floor.

Yes, pex tubing is going to be stapled to 2" Styrofoam insulation which will separate my heated slab from the earth below and around it. The rebar will go over the top of the pex tubing. The slab will have a thicker edge perimeter and I will also have thicker footing areas around the leg locations for the rotary 10,000 lb asymmetric lift. The slab will be heated with hot water pumped through the pex tubing. It is likely I will go with an electric boiler and have it powered by an "off peak" circuit.

For those that may be unfamiliar, "off peak" means the electric company basically has permission to cut power to that device during peak power load periods. This is going to happen on the coldest of days, they kill the power to that device to help free up capacity for other customers. I have been heating homes with this type of system in northern MN for about 14 years. The slab stores so much heat that most times you don't even notice that the power is being controlled. The kilowatt rate is substantially lower for these off peak circuits.

- - - Updated - - -

Your shop isn't big enough until you can stand in one end and look toward the other end and see the curve of the earth. Just as well have them take it to a 100' x 200' while they're at it.

I like the way you think, lol!

Your shop isn't big enough until you can stand in one end and look toward the other end and see the curve of the earth. Just as well have them take it to a 100' x 200' while they're at it.

LOL, funny stuff there Runner....

Congrats to you Dave....what a beautiful facility you will have when it's completed!! I'm sure it's been a long time coming and I wish you all the best with your project.

Last edited:
Ahhh . . . SketchUP ! ! ! Love it . . .

Nice shop and nice layout - my neighbor has a paint booth, but he's got it set up out back of his shop with a garage door opening up to it - the paint booth is under the roof in a covered area, but that does (2) thing - opens up the shop area, and makes outside covered areas where you can work if the weather is accommodating.

I know it all boils down to costs, but I just wanted to throw that out there while you're at the phase where you might be able to consider it . . .

I would Imagine in MN that the heat and weather have alot to do with it being in the shop. Here in NC that is a feasible idea.

Looks great Dave! One thing you might want to consider is putting another door behind the paint booth so you can make it a drive thru. Sure would be nice if there was a "dead" vehicle in front of the booth you could still get in or out thru another door.

I would Imagine in MN that the heat and weather have alot to do with it being in the shop. Here in NC that is a feasible idea.

that is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like open them doors, and let the Breeze breeze right through!

We're kind of hoping it works that way, especially for those big shop cleaning days, kicking up dust with the brooms & stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great Dave! One thing you might want to consider is putting another door behind the paint booth so you can make it a drive thru. Sure would be nice if there was a "dead" vehicle in front of the booth you could still get in or out thru another door.

Right now my plan for dealing with that is a set of Go-Jack rollers (car moving dollies)

- - - Updated - - -

A little Sunday progress, the first gravel lift has been spread and packed, more gravel coming tomorrow.

IMG_8468_zps575c80a1.jpg

Dave, Thats a shop you wont want to leave at nights.. Very cool and drawn up to a great versatile setup.. Good luck with the build!!

Dave, I see from your model that you're only working on GTO's and Mustangs. What no Mopars? LOL. Looks like it will be a nice shop.

Hey why don't I see a mopar in the model GTO Judge & Shelby Stang????? Mines 30x54 wish I had another 25 for a wash / paint area! How tall are your side walls? 10 or 12? 10 min. I hope. 9 ft doors can be low sometimes with a tractor or loaded truck.

Sorry about the Pontiac and the mustangs, lol.

I just grabbed random models from a library, these were somewhat to scale so I plopped them into the shop model just too see how everything fits.

The side walls are 12', doors are 10'.

Whatever works! ill wager when the real deal is there, it wont have any Pontiac's and Mustangs, and even if it does, Old rides are ok and they will fit nicely in the back of the man cave lol...

The theatre is to be an outdoor drive in type in my front yard with a central gazebo/concession stand.

:headbang:

kind of not kidding....

lol.

(someday)

10' x 10' doors? Don't go any smaller than 10' wide! Ask me how I know lol. When I built mine, the front got a 16 footer and the back door was only 8' wide and it didn't take very long to figure out that was a mistake. The only other mistake made was not making the place bigger!! :D

When do I find a program like the one you used to design you shop?

Please keep us posted on the progress.... man that's going to be a nice shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back