• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my partial resto work on the the runner

rav440

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
so i finnally started to work on the road runner again after about 2 years of doing nothing to it . turns out its not as rust free as i thought . friggn palm trees played hell with the cowl . i have no clue how im going to get in there to fix it .

the last 2 years have been more or less buying parts for the 440 still not even close to getting that done money is a big factor as we all know . but ill get done what i get done in the time being .

i got the radiator repaired , that was a $400.00 hit alone i learned do not pick up parts you got repiained in a hurry from the shop i didnt check the rad as close as i should have .

anyway i put the 440 uild on the back burner for the time being and stareted stripping the firewall and inner fenders plus removed & dissassembled the K frame . all i have to say is i friggn HATE underecoating

here are the pics of the slow going progerss so far

motor compartment before

HPIM3206.jpg

HPIM3201.jpg

progress ?

HPIM3201.jpg

HPIM5593.jpg

finnally got down to bare metal

HPIM5593.jpg

and now for the coconuts , this is what i have to deal with

HPIM5678.jpg

the cowl is in bad shape and i have no clue how im going to repair the air duct HORNS / INTAKE or what ever they are called

here are pics of inside the cowl IT AINT PRETTY

HPIM5586.jpg

HPIM5583.jpg

here is the wrought i found on the cowl in the inner fenders althought none of it is structural it still needs to be adressed and repaired luckily all the damage is at the top and not down at the frame

HPIM5759.jpg

HPIM5767.jpg

HPIM5766.jpg

HPIM5733.jpg

nasty undercoating i think they tried to armor plate the car with this stuff i swear some places were over a 1/4" thick but it did keep rust away for the most part so ill give it credit for that

HPIM5753.jpg

HPIM5756.jpg

HPIM5749.jpg

inner fenders are down to bare metal and just some more prep and it DTM and paint

HPIM5733-1.jpg

i got some donar parts for the firewall repair cut and ready to weld but yesterday my buddys mig crapped the bed so now welding is on hold .

here are some pics of the K frame & parts before and after but not reassembled im waint on $ for the suspenion parts

HPIM5687.jpg

HPIM5686.jpg

K frame after about 6 hours of scraping and scrubbing with kerosene

HPIM5714-1.jpg

HPIM5716-1.jpg

HPIM5715-1.jpg

make shift sand blasting cabinet for the K frame

HPIM5781.jpg

K frame and parts blasted and ready for paint

HPIM5795.jpg

K frame painted in black satin it looks glossy but it toned down real nice

HPIM5802.jpg

HPIM5807.jpg

parts hanging and drying

HPIM5810.jpg

HPIM5815.jpg

lower control arms

HPIM5812.jpg

and the road runner as it sitts now

HPIM5780-1.jpg

Awesome work! That K-Frame looks really really good. How did you remove the undercoating from the car? Also, on the cowl rust, you may need to find a donor piece from another car. I am sure there are wrecked cars with that part in good shape still.

Awesome work! That K-Frame looks really really good. How did you remove the undercoating from the car? Also, on the cowl rust, you may need to find a donor piece from another car. I am sure there are wrecked cars with that part in good shape still.

thanks , i used kerosene and alot of it :grin: i put it in a spray bottle & sprayed it on let soak for awhile it took along time to do but worked fine . im going to have to wing the inside of the cowl being there is now way to really get in there to do repairs as for the firewall i have the donar parts .

got a little more work done on saturday we started fitting and welding in the firewall parts that generaljmwlee was kind enough to go out of his way and cut from a donar car for me . theres alot more welding and grinding and filling that needs done befoe paint but i think it looks %100 better than it did already .

my neighbor JAMES is helping out my friend JOHN with his 68 GTO resto and me with the runner for his class project in high school

HPIM5817.jpg

firewall

my weld job its been well over 20+ years since ive welded :sad:

HPIM5819.jpg

JOHN and JAMES welding the piece below the wiper motor

HPIM5823.jpg

more to come

wow its been awhile since i posted on the slow progress of the rr . here are some pics . we onlly got to work on it a few weekends over the winter and the last 2 saturdays in march , well it looks like we didnt get much done but it sure feels like it the past 2 saturdays were spent welding and patching the cowl corners and smothing the welds im sure a pro could have had this done in an hour were as it took us 19 hours of course we stoped for a beer here and there but we are at the point where the fire wall is almost completely pacthed in and ready for ALL METAL filler the soon hopefully primer and blue paint

the firewall is pactched in and 90% ready for filler
HPIM5912.jpg

HPIM5913.jpg

HPIM5914.jpg

interior gutted thank god the floors look perfect

HPIM5858.jpg

after rooting around inside the cowl i discovered this isnt a factory part " the black spry foam "
HPIM5580.jpg

so i dug that out and found that the corners of the cowl were toast , off came the frontend and doors to do a little bit more investigation i wasnt happy with what i found .

HPIM5938.jpg

HPIM5973.jpg

HPIM5946.jpg

HPIM5943.jpg

HPIM5944.jpg

so it was cut form patch weld grind for a long time as i said we are not pros but im happy with the result

HPIM6024.jpg

HPIM6025.jpg

HPIM6026.jpg

HPIM6027.jpg

HPIM6037.jpg

HPIM6038.jpg

HPIM6039.jpg

HPIM6040.jpg

HPIM6045.jpg

Congratulations, that looked like a pretty tricky repair, well done.
You might be able to get at those Air intake rings inside the cowl from under the dash, but you will likely have to remove the dash in the process.

Yeah, that looks like a fun job! Remember, most of the fun is in just 'doing it'. I'm not too familiar with the 71+ B Body's cowel, it looks like it does not come off like the previous generation B Body cowel does. They all are rusted under there, except cars from the southwest, I got lucky with my donor front clip for my GTX, it came from that area of the country; no rust! Man, I can't imagine spending 6 hrs cleaning a K Member with Kerosene and all that mess; you're a better man than I! All in all, it looks awesome though, will be following this thread!

o.k. here are some of the progress pics .

all metal before filler on welded patches on the firewall

HPIM6464a.jpg
HPIM6476.jpg
HPIM6482.jpg

got back to work on the rr jan 2012 till now cut out bad metal weld in good metal on the pass side 1/4 and door and taking the rest of the runner down to bare metal still finding rust not a bunch but there are some hole here and there .the back glass was fun ! they sealed the whole thing with urethane then set the trim in the urethane i spent hours cleanig that mess up .

HPIM6583.jpg
HPIM6596.jpg
HPIM6604.jpg
HPIM6607.jpg
HPIM6618.jpg

gross

HPIM6629.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here are some current pics of where i am on the runner . . i am hopeing that in about a month from now the motor compartment , underside and trunk will be in TRUE BLUE METALLIC .

View attachment 133621
2013_06090006.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

got some bit more done over the last month

painted the underside first in acrylic enamel the a week later we did the engine compartment in the base / clear

View attachment 133622
View attachment 133623
View attachment 133624
View attachment 133625
View attachment 133626
View attachment 133627
View attachment 133628
View attachment 133629

Looks great. I did the same thing on mine and ended up cutting the cover over the cowl out to make my repairs. Like you, i had rust on the air intake for the a/c , where the upper and lower cowl pieces met at the fire wall, base of the windshield and especially in the corners. I didn't have the benefit of a donor and ended up gabbing the pieces I needed.

Great post.

Auto Transport Service
Back