• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My wifes take on driving my Ram through the garage this morning..

1971RR

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Now my wife has started my truck for me every morning when we go to the gym. She takes my gym bag, puts it in my truck and fires it up and heads for the gym. I'm usually right behind her. She was raised on a standard. She knows how to drive my truck. But this morning, things happened a little differently.

How to crash a Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel and ruin your garage and classic car and generator all at the same time. Things I learned today:

1. When you work out at 4 in the morning, you should try to make sure you are fully awake before you attempt to operate heavy machinery.
2. When you start a standard Dodge Ram Turbo Cumings Diesel, you should take a seat fully inside the vehicle. Do not attempt to start the vehicle from the outside half in/half out position. This is apparently dangerous.
3. When starting said “Demon Truck”, one should be certain that the gear is in “Neutral”. Yes, neutral.
4. A Dodge Ram Turbo Cumings Diesel has 400ftlb of torque at idle.
5. When started, while still in gear, with no driver occupying the driver’s seat, a Dodge Ram Turbo Cumings Diesel will pop a wheelie even though the parking brake is still engaged.
6. When said “Demon Truck” pops that wheelie, the so called “operator” will be tossed around like a rag doll, possibly landing under the truck. Luckily, this girl was only tossed out the door.
7. A Dodge Ram Turbo Cumings Diesel will continue to jump and lurch and drive forward even when there is no occupant in the driver’s seat.
8. A Dodge Ram Turbo Cumings Diesel is apparently a BAD *** vehicle. It will drive through a hurricaine reinforced garage door, a little Tykes wagon, a 1971 classic RoadRunner, a set of metal shelves, and a 10,000W generator welder, as well as buckle the back wall of a garage.
9. When attempting to shut off said “Demon Truck”, one must try to get the brake or the clutch or the key or the **** stick or something in their grasp in order to stop said destruction.
10. This trick is very difficult to do while you are being pummeled by the frame of the door and the truck is still jumping and lurching and making forward progress and a trail of destruction all at the same time.
11. Likewise, you can’t re-enter the vehicle to shut it off, when you hip is jammed up against the driver’s seat which is advancing the automating seat adjustment forward and now only some small child or skinny bi___ could fit behind the wheel.
12. When you finally get the “Demon Truck” stopped….just collapse in the driveway and start crying.
13. Try to look as injured as possible so your husband does not kill you.
14. Husbands, when said carnage is in progress, feel free to continue to fix your coffee. Go ahead and pour the sugar, the cream, and put the lid on it. Feel free to wait until you hear that the carnage is fully over before you step out to assess the situation.
15. So, what do you do after you wreck the truck, the garage door, the classic car, the shelves, the generator, and the walls of the garage? You go to the gym and work out. Yep.
16. Nothing to see here folks..just go on about your day.
17. Morning exercise is a stress reliever, but this was a very tall order to fill and I am still stressed out. Now that my adrenaline is somewhat dissipated, I think I have a bad case of whiplash.
18. My normally high-strung husband who freaks out when his creamer is one shelf lower than usual in the pantry…he’s all calm, cool, collected, and reassuring. How is that possible?
19. Thanks for not killing me on the spot. I love you baby and I am REALLY REALLY SORRY!
20. Lastly, a Dodge Ram Turbo Killer, I mean Turbo Diesel, is a tuff truck. Only a few scratches in the paint.
21. Feel free to share this story with any children you may be teaching how to drive a stick.
22. The look on Bob (our insurance adjuster) Dillman’s face this morning priceless. Cost to fix all this carnage? I don’t want to know.

And yes, I heard the crash and continued to make my coffee. It didnt sound that bad. But I gotta say, this is pretty impressive. The parking brake was on in the truck, the garage door is reinforced hurricane door, the Roadrunner was in park, the welder/generator weighs 450 lb and is sitting on a wooded skid and two back wall studs were cracked. All that at idle...:rolling:

Wow, that's stunning. I always tell people when they ask me how I like my truck that "It'll pull a house down"

But I never considered what it would do to the garage.

Are you S**ttin me? Thank God no one was hurt by said demon truck, but wow. I just bought a new 6.7 Cummins and will tape these instructions to the sun visor.

......And now I know why they call it a Ram.

You have got to post some pics of the damage. I hope that Roadrunner isnt damaged.

71RR I'M SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT ALL THE CARNAGE... It's good to not hear about any real injuries... Hopefully the Insurance will cover everything too... Best of Luck with that Dodge Demon Diesel Killer Ram Turbo Truck {emphasis on the Ram part..LOL.. sorry I couldn't resist}, I love the explanation too... Best of Luck to all your family & keep your chin up, it's all repairable & replaceable things for the most part...

wow , thats a little scary. not so great story but very well told. glad no one was hurt

Wow, just glad to hear no one was hurt...hopefully it'll all work out in the long run

Good that nobody was injured, bad that you have all that damage. Hopefully you can recover your loss through insurance.
In our old cars with carburetors you have to actually get in them and pump the gas a few times to start them when they are cold. New rigs will fire up under almost any conditions so you get used to just reaching in and turning the key. Apparently, you have to be a little more careful. I know I will be after hearing about this.

We need pics so that we can enjoy your misery!

Seriously though, The garage, car, truck... can be fixed or replaced. No one was hurt, and that is all that counts.

I have to ask... Does the truck not have a ignition lockout that works with the clutch, as in you have to have the clutch in to start?

On my '09 Challenger, it will not spin the engine over, even if it is in neutral unless the clutch is all the way to the floor...

Just askin'

Jeff

Wait just a cotton pickin minute here!!!! What year is this truck? Newer truck have a switch that won't start the truck unless the clutch is fully depressed when in gear, and if I recall even N. Sounds like you got a defective truck there, I think you better look into that as that certainly is someone elses fault and not your wifes. I smell a lawsuit here.

As reqeusted...the carnage.

- - - Updated - - -

You must push in the clutch to start the truck. However, it also pays to make sure it is in neutral before exiting the vehicle. My bride missed the second part. Plus she "right legged" it, which I have done many times.

Attachments

• IMG_20130321_063836_737.jpg
    IMG_20130321_063836_737.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_20130321_073350_969.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073350_969.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_20130321_073704_437.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073704_437.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_20130321_073433_067.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073433_067.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_20130321_074003_163.jpg
    IMG_20130321_074003_163.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_20130321_073112_533.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073112_533.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_20130321_073446_528.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073446_528.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_20130321_073503_448.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073503_448.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_20130321_073614_282.jpg
    IMG_20130321_073614_282.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 830
That's just aweful & she's very fortunate that she wasn't hurt. But, you do have to look at things in a positive light. She now has absolutely no reason to EVER deny you sex.

I know that looks bad but it could have been a lot worse. Luckily no one was hurt. All the rest of that stuff can be fixed.

Can I have the demon truck? I'll trade you my automatic hemi so it can't happen again....

seriously though, jut glad nobody got hurt.

I didnt do that but did end up somehow with my old Dakota in reverse as I exited the door resulting in a 360 taking out the back of the cab, front bed rail and my door hitting a tree as I got it iin park. The seat stopped the block from hitting my head.....$hit happens

The majority of the scratches y'all see in the pics are from owning the car for 27+ years. The only scratches I could see from todays incident are two small dents on the trunk by the key where one of the garage door section hinges got pushed into it. Once I backed the car out you couldnt really tell where it impacted the shelves or the welder. Freaky...

And best of all, the Little Tykes wagon? I lifted the car and my buddy pulled it from underneath. And...it will survive. Just gotta pop a small dent outta one of the wheels. The boys will be happy, thats the tree limb wagon..

- - - Updated - - -

That's just aweful & she's very fortunate that she wasn't hurt. But, you do have to look at things in a positive light. She now has absolutely no reason to EVER deny you sex.

Well we have been married almost 23 years...thankfully that has not been an issue...This just means I get a free pass on some Roadrunner parts....

Auto Transport Service
Back