• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery 440- Help!

Ok with the piton ID now we know something about the compression potential. So what is the cranking compression?

Though you won't be able to double the HP with bolt-ons, you may be able to get maybe 30% more power with a better suited cam selection if the existing is not ideal for the intended use, then carb tuning and perhaps a new intake and a set of aftermarket heads and adjustable rocker arms. Another 100 hp would be significant.

Ok with the piton ID now we know something about the compression potential. So what is the cranking compression?

Though you won't be able to double the HP with bolt-ons, you may be able to get maybe 30% more power with a better suited cam selection if the existing is not ideal for the intended use, then carb tuning and perhaps a new intake and a set of aftermarket heads and adjustable rocker arms. Another 100 hp would be significant.
I haven't gotten to cranking pressure yet. Maybe next week.
Thanks for your input.

If what he has now was done reasonably well and tuned, he’d easily have 325 hp. Add 10psi, he’s at 550 hp.

You should be showing a pair of pliers hammering in a nail!
The mini centrifugal blower is going to feel like it is blowing up a balloon with the HP manifolds. I am going to try it anyway. Can't hurt to try. Can always go the headers later after the dyno disappointment (Perhaps).
Engine is an air pump. More air in + more air out = more power. I've had headers on cars for 50 years.

I'll post this up every once in a while if someone is running a 440 with stock crank, rods and the 2355 pistons......

pop's 440 dyno tests

Gives you some idea what you may do with the stock rods, crankshaft and the .030" 2355 pistons.

Engine is an air pump. More air in + more air out = more power. I've had headers on cars for 50 years.
I agree and have been looking at drop-in shorty's. My existing exhaust is a nice 2 1/2" aluminumized one and I hate to cut it up.

I'll post this up every once in a while if someone is running a 440 with stock crank, rods and the 2355 pistons......

pop's 440 dyno tests

Gives you some idea what you may do with the stock rods, crankshaft and the .030" 2355 pistons.
An amazing read!!! Thanks for re-posting this!

I am already over 60, so it would take me until I am at least 100 years old or so to get the kind of knowledge that you have.
Truly impressive sir.

Do you drive this on the street too?

Last edited:

pop's 440 dyno tests

My concern is that with an NA engine, like in your post link, I will basically be running something that is pretty radical for daily driving in the 600 HP range. That is why I am considering a lower HP build and a small centrifugal supercharger. I would think I could get to the HP that I am looking for relatively easily with this combination and it would easier for street driving. Easy to pulley change it and drop down the boost.

On another topic, I had no idea I have to have the heads prepped if I get, say, EZ. Your experience is greatly appreciated by lower experienced people like myself.

AND... I am shocked how much HP and torque you can get out of a 8.9 to 1 motor.

That’s most likely what going to happen.

I hope not but sounds like it.
Things get in the way like life and cars just sit.

If the car has 300-350 hp why not leave it as it is?

It sounds like it’s a safe, fun reliable car you can drive anywhere anytime. 300-350 is more than plenty of power even in todays world.

However I know in todays world there’s cars pushing 450-700 stock but how often does that really get used ?
Once you start adding this and that it’s only going to create more possible failures and more downtime.

You might be better off busy building another motor in the side and gathering everything to just install on a weekend so it avoids the possibility having the car turn into a paperweight.
I am going to get the overheat issue under control and dyno the car to see where I am at. With the 3.9 gears, it moves well off the line but is huffing and puffing at any gear other than 1st. I really now think it is perhaps at 300 HP or so if I am lucky. My Cadillac XTS feels faster with 304 HP.

I am already finding a lot of carbon on the pistons for a motor with 1K miles on it. Plugs are covered in carbon, one plug wire defective, I think. No idea where TDC is, since it surely isn't correct on the balancer(Looks like it is running about 70 degrees all in. :)

I want to get a baseline on the car and then mod from there.
I don't want a 300HP stock minivan to blow me away.

An amazing read!!! Thanks for re-posting this!

I am already over 60, so it would take me until I am at least 100 years old or so to get the kind of knowledge that you have.
Truly impressive sir.

Do you drive this on the street too?
This engine has been retired. We have a <9.5:1 roller cammed 451 that has been detuned from 787 HP on pump gas to 580 HP that runs around with 3.55 gears and a 4-spd manual trans in the shop truck. Then there is the 10.2:1 iron headed pump gas 400/450 with a solid flat tappet cam in another truck that makes 542 LB-FT and 538 HP.

I am going to get the overheat issue under control and dyno the car to see where I am at. With the 3.9 gears, it moves well off the line but is huffing and puffing at any gear other than 1st. I really now think it is perhaps at 300 HP or so if I am lucky. My Cadillac XTS feels faster with 304 HP.

I am already finding a lot of carbon on the pistons for a motor with 1K miles on it. Plugs are covered in carbon, one plug wire defective, I think. No idea where TDC is, since it surely isn't correct on the balancer(Looks like it is running about 70 degrees all in. :)

I want to get a baseline on the car and then mod from there.
I don't want a 300HP stock minivan to blow me away.
Change the gearing. If you have 3.90 you have a high gear. I’d go to the low to mid 3 range depending on the trans and I think that would do wonders for the car

Well I did a compression test(Dynamic) today and everything looked fine, but I had a question for you guys on the 440.

Compression as follows, (I round to the nearest 5 PSI):
#1 170, #3 170, #5 165, #7 170
#2 165, #4 170, #6 170, #8 160

Pretty close other than #8, which seems acceptably lower.
My question is: Given the Speed Pro pistons that we figured to give about 9.5:1 compression, the cylinder pressure seems high to me. (Yes, I did verify with another gauge.)

I am going to eventually pull the (factory) heads and CC it before I switch to aftermarket heads anyway, but having only built a few motors and no 440's, does that compression seem to indicate a much higher static ratio?

The engine has 1K miles since the previous build.

Hard to know without cam specs but I think the pressures seem right for those pistons at about 9.5-1. I'm guessing open chamber heads that might have had a skiff to flatten them and composition head gaskets. Anything is just guessing without measuring everything.

Hard to know without cam specs but I think the pressures seem right for those pistons at about 9.5-1. I'm guessing open chamber heads that might have had a skiff to flatten them and composition head gaskets. Anything is just guessing without measuring everything.
Yeah, I figured as such. I thought I would ask you guys since the PSI was pretty high(at least to me) for 9.5-1.

I am just trying to go step by step to make sure the bottom end is sound for some power adders.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back