• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need quick help with Distributor wires

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
Putting in a new wiring harness (71 Charger 440x6) all going well so far but I get to the electronic ignition box and I have the standard male\female connector coming from the 4 and 5 positions from the box that wants to go to the distributor. The distributor has 2 wires coming from it, a red one and an orange one.

So which wire (male or female at the connector) goes to which distributor wire? I can't find anything anywhere and I know it matters.

Someone out there knows...

Can you take pictures of the box,harness and distributor?

Which distributor do you have?
Which ignition box do you have?

Below is a diagram for an old school ignition box. The black plug bottom center is what goes to the distributor pickup. The distributor should have the same but opposite plug. If you are running Mopar style electronic ignition.

ignition.png

The picture below shows the orange wire on the male side of the distributor plug. But the other wire is black. So I'm not sure this is what you have.
pro-440-427_xl.jpg

You can always call Ray at Halifax Hops, the nicest guy you deal with when it comes to mopar ignition stuff.. he is straight up the bomb!

Since wire colors might vary depending on your kit/parts...Pop the distributor cap off and look at the side of the pickup coil, the two wires are on the side of it, one above the other.
Whichever wire in the ECU harness lands on the pin shown with the arrow, goes to whichever distributor wire is the lower one on the pickup coil. The upper pickup coil wire should be the one that lands on the pin shown circled.

Inkedignition_LI.jpg

And if you get it backwards, you'll know by the way it runs and the weird timing it'll want just to idle nicely..."someone I know" did that once:rolleyes::D

Since wire colors might vary depending on your kit/parts...Pop the distributor cap off and look at the side of the pickup coil, the two wires are on the side of it, one above the other.
Whichever wire in the ECU harness lands on the pin shown with the arrow, goes to whichever distributor wire is the lower one on the pickup coil. The upper pickup coil wire should be the one that lands on the pin shown circled.

View attachment 1190525
And if you get it backwards, you'll know by the way it runs and the weird timing it'll want just to idle nicely..."someone I know" did that once:rolleyes::D
This is very helpful, thanks I will take the distributor apart in the morning and find the truth!

They covered it with the diagrams. usually when it is red/orange wires the orange would be the usuall black ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back