• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Bilstein shocks installed today!

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
New front Bilstein shocks installed today. Originally was running Edekbrock IAS shocks on all 4 corners for a few years and liked the handling but the ride was just a tad too bumpy. Not bad, but I felt like it could be better. Got some seat time driving Dennis H's coronet with Bilsteins on all 4 corners and swapped in Bilsteins on the rear last year. Some resulting improvement. Kept the eddy IAS shocks up front the last year. Today installed Bilsteins up front to complete the set and all I've got to say is WOW. I should have done this a long time ago. The difference is a noticeable improvement in ride and control. Bilsteins all the way and you won't be sorry.

Hate the price, But everyone says that is the way to go. Bilsteins it is.

I have a feeling I'll be swapping mine out for bilsteins this summer.

And aren't they the most amazing shocks on the market? The only ones I've had that actually lessen body roll on the corners. Wait 'til you get them on all four corners! Had most every shock there is in the past including KYB and nothing compares to Bilstein. You definitely get what you pay for with these.

I slaped a set in last summer (from PST), best thing I've done to the car in years. My old shocks where all dead and didn't realize it until I removed them. Anyways it rides great and eliminated my wheel hop, now she just burns or goes depending on how my foot is feeling.

Would they be better than KBY the Japanese ones? up front only

DEFINITELY better than KYB's. Isn't anything better than KYB's on our torsion bar B-bodies?! With the torsion bar setup, the KYB's are too harsh for me.

I have also heard that it's important to consider the torsion bar size you're running with your shock selection. For example (and this is not the gospel, but....) another member here previously recommended Bilsteins for torsion bars 1.00" and lower diameter, but says that if you step up in size above that, you may want to consider a better quality double-adjustable like QA1's, which are also double the money. I've got 1.00" bars and the Bilsteins work great. Unless your car has aftermarket larger bars (1.00", 1.03", 1.06", 1.12", etc,), you'll have .088, .092, .096 bars and Bilsteins will match well.

Would they be better than KYB the Japanese ones? up front only

A solid bar is an improvement over a KYB. :headbang:

Kidding. Still, this is definitely a case where the money spent is worth it. KYBs are digressive, meaning they are stiff in their first few inches of travel, then get softer through their range...TOTALLY opposite of a quality shock.

New front Bilstein shocks installed today. Originally was running Edekbrock IAS shocks on all 4 corners for a few years and liked the handling but the ride was just a tad too bumpy. Not bad, but I felt like it could be better. Got some seat time driving Dennis H's coronet with Bilsteins on all 4 corners and swapped in Bilsteins on the rear last year. Some resulting improvement. Kept the eddy IAS shocks up front the last year. Today installed Bilsteins up front to complete the set and all I've got to say is WOW. I should have done this a long time ago. The difference is a noticeable improvement in ride and control. Bilsteins all the way and you won't be sorry.

I realize this is an ancient post, but Im about to throw down on a set of Bilstein's for my GTX, and one of the things that appears to annoy me is that the front shocks do not have the upper dust covers. Am I wrong? Not seeing them right? Did the factory ones have the covers?

Good to hear they perform well, as I thought they would. Just want to find out if anyone did something for the dust covers on the front shocks.

Rob.

Covers are mainly for dirt mud ice and large debris.
Not really necessary on muscle cars, and many dirt bikes sleds etc don't have them

I realize this is an ancient post, but Im about to throw down on a set of Bilstein's for my GTX, and one of the things that appears to annoy me is that the front shocks do not have the upper dust covers. Am I wrong? Not seeing them right? Did the factory ones have the covers?

Good to hear they perform well, as I thought they would. Just want to find out if anyone did something for the dust covers on the front shocks.

Rob.
No dust covers. Just the compression rod. They don't look traditional but they work fine.

Scratch that...... just spoke to the folks at BAC, and they no longer sell them with the covers, but theyre looking into seeing if they have, or can get the covers. Another reason calling and talking instead of just doing an "on-line" only order is always better.

Urethane boots can be had through the off road industry.

I put them on 2 of my cars and my dually. Nothing else for a driver.

Rob.
Yea, I am in the same boat . Contacted Beilsteins to see if the upper boot was available and it isn’t…. My Fury is bone stock and I really need a stock appearing shock. Don’t think I can tolerate an open topped shock and May need to go another route…

Auto Transport Service
Back