• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

@^%$ new gas tank STILL leaks!

I put a thin smear of Permatex copper ('cause that's what I had that hadn't gone bad) on the ridge on the tank that seals the gasket and on the back side of the sending unit. I'm letting it set for a couple of days before rolling the dice and going to the gas station.
Should be ok. I think Copper is fuel resistant, right?
Good luck at the gas station!

The lock ring and gasket are still available new from Mopar. Used one last year when I put and new tank in the Charger last year.
I woulda thought so too, but I dunno, I couldn't find them anywhere online.

You should do something with the stain left from the leaking gas, good old warm water n soap will work with oo steel wool just keep it wet like wet sanding to get rid of all gas residues prime it n paint it n also it's not a bad idea to paint the inside of strapes or use a plastic paint, metal on metal will rust,when my father inlaw was in business doing rads etc n body he did many of these this way n just used rad paint to protect n Mitch is still in I bought mine at 3 n sealed the deal by 6 today

I think Copper is fuel resistant, right?
Most silicones are not recommended for gasoline, but everyone uses them on intakes. Look for Permatex #85420, it is a urethane based sealant, advertised as fuel resistant. Orange tube but it is actually blue, similar to Hylomar.

Most silicones are not recommended for gasoline, but everyone uses them on intakes. Look for Permatex #85420, it is a urethane based sealant, advertised as fuel resistant. Orange tube but it is actually blue, similar to Hylomar.
Very good sir, thanks.
Note: The "RTV Black" I used before also says it's gas-resistant and like I posted before, I saw no evidence of it failing.
I'm still debating using any sealant at all this time. Darn gasket should work without any.

You should do something with the stain left from the leaking gas, good old warm water n soap will work with oo steel wool just keep it wet like wet sanding to get rid of all gas residues prime it n paint it n also it's not a bad idea to paint the inside of strapes or use a plastic paint, metal on metal will rust,when my father inlaw was in business doing rads etc n body he did many of these this way n just used rad paint to protect n Mitch is still in I bought mine at 3 n sealed the deal by 6 today
It appears, least to me, that what's left over on this thing is actually the zinc coating being uneven or even going away in places. I got the stains off the tank; what's left is basically darker/lighter patches of that coating .

OK, ok, y'all talked me into it...
WP_20160604_001[1].jpg

Wiped it down with prep-all and then had at it with this zinc-impregnated spray paint I got from our welder at work. He uses it to touch up around galvanized welds.

WP_20160604_002[1].jpg

Spray bomb time! I must admit, it has excellent coverage. You could actually see the tiny little bits of zinc flying out of the can. I left it sitting outside on this hot day to dry.

WP_20160604_004[1].jpg

Also took the opportunity to touch up some of the previous owners' attempts at painting the underside of the replacement metal in the trunk.
I plan on doing this one last time....right?
:thumbsup:

I put 12.5 gallons in it today before taking it to a show. Nothing came out at the gas station and it didn't smell of gas when I got to the show. Next time, I'll try filling it a bit more full. Fingers crossed.

My best make it leak scenario is a full tank with the car parked slightly nose-down incline. On a warm day, check back in 15 minutes for odor or leaks. I Think mine is finally figured out too. What a PIA it all was. Worst part the drama from other half. The gauge works too. Only took 28 years of ownership.

I was not happy with my replacement tank. I was wondering would it be advisable while the tank is down to fill it with diesel and tilt it to cover the sending unit.

I put 12.5 gallons in it today before taking it to a show. Nothing came out at the gas station and it didn't smell of gas when I got to the show. Next time, I'll try filling it a bit more full. Fingers crossed.
That's great. Congrats!

My best make it leak scenario is a full tank with the car parked slightly nose-down incline. On a warm day, check back in 15 minutes for odor or leaks. I Think mine is finally figured out too. What a PIA it all was. Worst part the drama from other half. The gauge works too. Only took 28 years of ownership.
Outstanding work, sir!

Update, this evening:
I got the new gasket and locking Ring I ordered from NAPA (Spectra #LO06 for those playing at home). I only wanted a gasket, but for $4, I ain't complaining.

What I have NOT received yet is the new MOPAR locking ring from MoparMitch. :(

Well, time's up. I wanted to do this on the weekend and I'm not one for patience (you die a few times like I have and you get that way). It should have been here by now.
No worries, I still have my original equipment one. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel on my Dremel and off we go...

WP_20160604_007[1].jpg

Look at the difference in thickness between the new Spectra on the left and the original on the right. The original feels twice as heavy and has more "meat" in the ramp areas that slide up under the locking tangs on the tank.
Sorry, Spectra, you lose.

WP_20160604_005[1].jpg

New gasket looks good and has a little overlap all around. I centered up the sending unit and had a look. Looks real good. Ok, locking ring time (I decided on no sealant).

WP_20160604_008[1].jpg

Original locking ring fit really snugly and it took some time to drive all 3 locking nubs on it into place in the tangs of the tank. The fit felt really tight and I was unable to move the sending unit at all once installed.
I used the same brass punch as before and there were literally dozens of taptaptaps involved to get the locking ring fully seated, so I'm very satisfied with the fit.

BTW, notice how the zinc is flaking off the tank already?
Yeah, like I said, y'all don't buy any tank that's described as "natural steel with zinc". Just don't.
I gave it a quick shot of clear to try and seal the surface.
I also cleaned up the nearly new straps and off I went....
Tank is now re-installed in the car.:thumbsup:
I reckon we'll see tomorrow when I put some gas in it. Wish me luck!

A little trick I learned a long time ago. Whenever I drop a tank to install a new sending unit, I install the unit, put a couple of gallons of gas in it and plug the filler, flip it upside down on the garage floor and let it sit for awhile to see if it's going to leak. Beats the hell out of installing the tank and then finding out it leaks and having to take it out again. Probably not foolproof but it's worked for me. I agree with Coloradodave, Layson's probably has the best tanks etc.

I used the same brass punch as before and there were literally dozens of taptaptaps involved to get the locking ring fully seated
There's a tool for that, maybe the hammering is damaging the locking tabs?
C-LRW.jpg

A little trick I learned a long time ago. Whenever I drop a tank to install a new sending unit, I install the unit, put a couple of gallons of gas in it and plug the filler, flip it upside down on the garage floor and let it sit for awhile to see if it's going to leak. Beats the hell out of installing the tank and then finding out it leaks and having to take it out again. Probably not foolproof but it's worked for me. I agree with Coloradodave, Layson's probably has the best tanks etc.
Makes perfect sense....now that the tank is in the car. :rolleyes:

Yes, Layson's (like numerous others, BTW) sell the tanks made of Niterne (or "Ni-tern") that I alluded to earlier. Much better material than the mild steel ones like mine.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back