• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Radiator doesn't fit

tlwesch

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help. I bought a new radiator by champion. Part # in classisindustries is MP600126. When I set it in the top mounting holes didn't line up....no big deal I just drilled holes to allow them to line up. Went to close the hood and the cap hits the hood. So do I drill a new set of holes? Any other ideas?

yeh, I bought one too, for a friends a-body and had to modifiy it also, they are nice radiators but the fitment needs some work.

Thanks Silver....how much room should I have between the radiator and the fan?

I finally have the radiator all buttoned up. I have two pics attached. Ones shows the upper radiator hose, I purchased a preformed hose and think I should change to a flex hose. Second show how close the fan is to the radiator. Is that ok?

I would clean the hose up and take it back to the parts house and ask them to find one an inch or two longer. Flex hoses are cheap looking, in my opinion (sorry if I offended anyone). Take a little extra time to get it right. As far as clearance to the radiator, try to get an inch between the closest part of the fan to the core. If you ever use a flex fan, try for even more. Hope that is an optical illusion because the fan blade looks bent in the picture. Hope you treat your engine to some degreaser and a power wash when you get it buttoned up... (you DO know that they run better when they're clean, right?) lol

Dave I'll check the fan and see if any shrouds come closer...I think you are referring to the lower blade in that pic. I don't know what you are talking about with cleanliness. All that grease and oil keeps the rust off, plus it repels water. I thought it prevented leaks. Is a power washer the easiest way to clean all that gunk off? It's caked on pretty thick in some parts. Sounds like a messy job.

Use good name brand oven cleaner, let it soak. I couldn't fine the bolts on this rear it was so caked.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 179
I wasn't going to say anything about all that gunk just seemed rude lol you guys are rude!

Oven cleaner works great but it will take the paint off. If you don't plan on painting then just use the engine cleaner at the car wash and bring lots of quarters.

Oven cleaner is pretty harsh on parts that aren't steel or cast iron. Gunk engine degreaser does a good job if you follow the directions. No problem using a power washer if you use a 'general clean-up' (wide fan) nozzle. I thought I was being 'tactful' when mentioning the 'rust-proofing'...lol

Auto Transport Service
Back