• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Shop Building Started

Isn't it amazing how fast all of the space disappears once its occupied?
Once I put in shelving it will be better. No where to put things except the perimeter for now. My wife wants a pulley system to store her kayak above the bay so she can just lower it down and go.

This guy is building a bad *** new shop and everyone is hung up on him not getting a lift?!?! Besides, if he wants one down the road he can always just get a portable one post lift like me. I like that I can take it outside when I want to also. To the OP, your shop is going to be awesome and I look forward to watching the progress. Are you insulating the walls and ceiling?

View attachment 1353334
I know what you mean by everyone telling him what he needs. I built a 40x30 shop and the thread went on for long while about how I should build bigger. I spent all I had.

Got my first electric quote. Running cable underground about 65' and hooking up a sub panel. Not wiring the entire building. $2200. Using 1-0 AL cable, direct bury. Seems a bit on the high side. Materials are around $600 or so. Opinions?

Know how to run an excavator or trencher? If so what does it cost for half a day? See if they'll knock some off and how much, if you do some of that grunt work. Maybe see if you can be their helper on the inside running wire etc. See if they'll give you a shopping list so you can supply the parts, wire etc. and they just bill you for the labor. We did that here on several areas of the garage. Another is to offer to pay in cash. Cash discount?

Know how to run an excavator or trencher? If so what does it cost for half a day? See if they'll knock some off and how much, if you do some of that grunt work. Maybe see if you can be their helper on the inside running wire etc. See if they'll give you a shopping list so you can supply the parts, wire etc. and they just bill you for the labor. We did that here on several areas of the garage. Another is to offer to pay in cash. Cash discount?
Trencher is about $280/day. Need to trench 60'. As far as wiring it, easy peasy. I can order the wire and hard parts as I know what I need. But do I really want to do it? I would have bit on $1500-$1700 to do it and be done. Cable, trencher, conduit, 100a panel, plus breaker would run me about $850

I know what you mean by everyone telling him what he needs. I built a 40x30 shop and the thread went on for long while about how I should build bigger. I spent all I had.
I was probably one of those lol only because I wish I had built bigger after doing a 28' x 52' shop.

I'm running the sub panel myself. Second electrician never showed. I ordered the cable tonight (1/0-1/0-1/0-2 Aluminum), 100a Square D 20 space panel. 4 cable direct bury was $399 + shipping. Copper was almost $1k for a size smaller.

I have to trench 50' between buildings, should be easy with a rental to get 18"+
My wife requested a dedicated circuit for a sauna already lol.

20221217_151742.jpg
20221217_151758.jpg

Taking shape. Started on the interior wall and got the top on the work bench.

I have everything to run the electric as well.

Navada, i paid for 3- 4AWT an 1 number 6, 375’ 6000$ contractors price And the contractors price was through electrical outfit way cheaper then Home Depot and all was copper.
I also had electricians that didn’t show after doing half the job. Finally got a guy that was way cheaper and smarter then the rest. I bought a tractor trenched the last 30’ myself plus will use it for Other things.We rented a tugger and had the use the tractor throughout the couple christy boxes i had. Good Luck
U need 18” plus the 4’ depth correct?

Navada, i paid for 3- 4AWT an 1 number 6, 375’ 6000$ contractors price And the contractors price was through electrical outfit way cheaper then Home Depot and all was copper.
I also had electricians that didn’t show after doing half the job. Finally got a guy that was way cheaper and smarter then the rest. I bought a tractor trenched the last 30’ myself plus will use it for Other things.We rented a tugger and had the use the tractor throughout the couple christy boxes i had. Good Luck
U need 18” plus the 4’ depth correct?
Direct bury is 24". Both ends need conduit 18" in the ground up to the building entry. The trencher I have rented is 30" max so I'll go to max. I'm running 1/0-1/0-1/0-2 Al which is good for 130a, 80% nec rule

Finished up the wall, got the 100a panel hung. Figure I'll use 2" pvc conduit to get the cable in from the back. And I have a rough list of everything else I need to wire it up. No ground bar included with the panel so I had to order them. Can't run a sub panel bonded.
20221218_154416.jpg

Since you have to run 2” going into shop in case you ever have to pull wire in future why not just run pipe whole distance? It will also help to protect the wire from scaring rocks and water. Yes water will get into pipe from condensation but just extra insurance.

Line is buried! I went about 30" so any dirt that fell back in the trench wouldn't be an issue. The original walk behind trencher wouldn't start. So they offered a Ditch With RT-45 at the same price, plus they drop off and pick up...about $300 for the weekend.

On the shop side, it is encased in 1 1/2" pvc down 18" and right into the box. I also used the machine to scrape some brush up around the property.
20221224_100239.jpg
20221224_100245.jpg
20221224_131523.jpg
20221224_131357.jpg
20221224_131326.jpg

We have power! Finished the wiring I needed in the shop. Lights, outlets, welder and air compressor. I'll eventually add another circuit for shop outlets. Set an 8' ground rod as well.

Hooking up the 100a breaker in the main was simple. I added a lug to the ground and one to the neutral.

Sub panel wired up.
20221231_144539.jpg

Main panel

20230101_095214.jpg

20230101_110213.jpg

LED strip lights. I ran the switch to 3 outlets so I can plug in the lights. I'm going to add another row plus I can link lights together to get rows of 3.
20230101_110205.jpg

Let there be LIGHT! Congratulations! Out of the dark ages. Yes sir.

Auto Transport Service
Back