• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Shop - but house, remodeling a bath . . . ( mad scientist style ) . . .

Next installment . . . time to build the sink, it's going to be poured concrete . . .

Here is the mold for the sink - and yes, that is the plan for the sink - Notice the white "edging" in there to create a designed edge . . .

sm_bath115.jpg

*** a bunch of rebar to this to keep it from cracking . . .

sm_bath116.jpg

Think I've got it about covered now . . . all wired together too . . .

sm_bath117.jpg

An pour the concrete . . . then beat the "cr*p" out of it with a hammer for an hour to try and get the air bubbles out of it . . .

sm_bath118.jpg

Then let it dry, pull out the "sink" tub, and the water line homes . . . and let it set up for a couple days . . .

sm_bath119.jpg

Then remove the rubber form edging from the slab . . .

sm_bath120.jpg

And you end up with a concrete slab for your bath sink . . .

sm_bath121.jpg

That was kinda fun, interesting, frustrating, all at the same time . . but I've got it done now . . .

Great build Larry!

I finished re-doing my hall bath last year. Bathrooms are a PITA because you have to deal with plumbing, electricity, heating/cooling, water protection, etc. All in one small room!

I added a few touches in mine, with cultured granite walls and sink, but definitely not the mad scientist build! Approved!

Hawk

Next addition to the project . . .

Time to do some polishing of the concrete top and make it a little smoother . . .

sm_bath126.jpg

A little water and a special cutting wheel . . .

sm_bath127.jpg

Got this set of (6) discs on Amazon with the grits printed right on them . . .

sm_bath128.jpg

And they do a really good job on the top too . . . but I'm finding some air pockets in the concrete that I could not get out with all my pounding . . .

sm_bath129.jpg

Now to figure out to finish it with . . . thinking of using clear coat . . .

thoughts ? ? ?

Water based sealer. Use a little bit of grout to fill in the air bubbles

So I designed the supports that I wanted for the sink top, and ordered the 1" black pipe parts and had them shipped to me . . .

What I wanted . . . simple design . . . until I realized that you can't do this . . . UNLESS you add in a union . . .

sm_frame-design.jpg

Well . . . maybe I shouldn't have said that you CAN'T do it . . .

sm_bath131.jpg

That is . . . with a little help with your welder and a bit of sanding . . .
Cut the pipe, clamp them into angle iron to keep them aligned, strings help keep the corners in alignment, weld, sand, paint . . .
( the strings are a neat little trick I've learned . . . )

The "impossible" is now possible . . .

sm_bath130.jpg

Next installment . . .

One of the "fun" things that I enjoy about my "Mad Scientist" projects are that I NEVER know what I'm going to run into in the process . . . here's a very good example . . .

First, I made the ( not able to make ) supports and got them ready to go - using standard lengths and measuring to make them match . . .

sm_bath132.jpg

Then I welded up the frame support for under the concrete sink . . . looks good ( or dies it . . . )

sm_bath133.jpg

This left edge is just a little tight to the edge of the concrete . . .

sm_bath134.jpg

But this one won't work as the metal sticks beyond the edge of the concrete . . . .

sm_bath135.jpg

This would not be a good thing to have in the bath . . . ( yeah, that's Titus in the background . . . always by my side . . . )

sm_bath136.jpg

So . . . time to make some modifications and figure out how to get this fixed . . . Oh boy ! ! !

Latest updates . . . .

Got the frame completed . . .

Ready to hold the top in place . . .

sm_bath138.jpg

Not too shabby . . .

sm_bath139.jpg

The frame was part of the design authentics? Inserts into wet concrete and just setting it on the legs would have been less time consuming. There is enough rebar in it to support any reasonable load and with 6000 psi mix that may have been over kill.
Next time use a vibrating hand sander. Pad to form will work those naste bubbles right out.

Thought I had already posted up this picture . . .

Here's what the sink and counter top is going to look like . . .

sm_bath140.jpg

The frame was part of the design authentics? Inserts into wet concrete and just setting it on the legs would have been less time consuming. There is enough rebar in it to support any reasonable load and with 6000 psi mix that may have been over kill.
Next time use a vibrating hand sander. Pad to form will work those naste bubbles right out.

Did try and use a vibrating hand sander and a jigsaw with no blade and they did not have enough "shake" in them to get all of the bubble out . . . believe me I tried along with pounding it with a hammer for an hour too . . .

Boy did this get put aside for a bit . . . trying to figure out "what" and "where" this project needed to go . . .
( and life got in the way . . . of course )

But I've got back to this project and got a few things figured out . . . and some direction . . .

Figured out the drain for the tub, and got it back from the Powder-coater . . .

sm_bath141.jpg

This is the drain hardware set in place ( gawd - sure hope that this will work out . . . )

sm_bath142.jpg

Also . . . finally figured what to do with the LED light controller and got that part in the works now . . .
Now, with this in progress - the LED light and their mounting in the ceiling can also make some progress . . . Hopefully . . .

sm_bath143.jpg

Wanted to make the electrical box ( see hole in the wall - bottom screen ) to also be black pipe and metal box, but thought that it would be WAY too much black pipe - so it, instead, got run inside the wall - will get the box i the wall, the dual outlets in place ( GFI ), and get it tied into the electrical system up in the attic . . .

I think washing up in that tub will prove to be a pain in the *** in a very short time. The angle is not user-friendly. Otherwise I love it. Not my style but very cool none-the-less.

I think washing up in that tub will prove to be a pain in the *** in a very short time. The angle is not user-friendly. Otherwise I love it. Not my style but very cool none-the-less.

It is in the guest bath, and if it turns out to be more a pain then it's worth, it can be torn out and done over again . . .

Not sure about your area but will the tub pass code without an overflow drain?

Been fighting with that idea too . . . and trying to figure out what to do - got an idea ( or 2 ) to remedy that . . . but look at the counter tops bowls that you can get at the local home supply stores ( they don't have the drain either )

1000200545.jpg

841231008621.jpg

Still trying to decide what to do about that ( do want to add "something" . . . to be safe )

Had a good day . . . had the day off for the holiday . . . and made some big progress on the bathroom project . . .

Getting tired of climbing up and down from the attic, but got the wired fed through the black pipe up into the attic . . .

sm_bath144.jpg

And in the box, plus the box for the receptacles in the wall too . . .

sm_bath145.jpg

This control panel will be used for driving the color options for the lights ( the remote they had was junk )

sm_bath146.jpg

Test the light and the connections . . . first time they did not work ? ? Try, try, again . . .

sm_bath147.jpg

Building the box up on the ceiling for the LED lights . . .

sm_bath148.jpg

Little closer look at the box that is being built . . .

sm_bath149.jpg

Strung the light up - the tape was not so good, so zip-ties to the rescue ! ! !

sm_bath150.jpg

Still got the plexy to put up the hide the light . . . but this is the "look" that it will achieve . . .

sm_bath151.jpg

Glad to have some of this stuff done . . . finally . . . so I can get this job off the list . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back