• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NXCoupe's Shop Build

Damn I would love to have a shop that size! Great build!
Thank you. It's half the size I wanted but damn nice to have what I was able to get, if that makes any sense. Being forced to do this in the middle of a pandemic made this damn near unobtainable, let alone unaffordable. Phase 2 will come when this bubble birsts

So today we started assembling after we finalized the layout and positioning of the racks. It was a huge pita, and I'm glad it's behind me. Tomorrow, I'm renting a scissors lift and we are going to finish the last rack assembly and the route power to them all. We weren't able to lift the last crossbar on ladders,so we are going to use the lift to position and hold it while we bolt it together and adjust the lift position to get it all lined up. Then run the hydraulic line and cables, and she's done! If all goes well, the lift guy will be out to do his thing and make them functional! That would make my day!
20220731_114048.jpg
20220731_155130.jpg
20220731_155140.jpg
20220731_160649.jpg

So today I went to Fastenal, or should I say Orderitall, to pick up my anchor so the lift guy could do his thing tomorrow. Well, they had the 1/2" anchors, that I needed 4 of, in a box of 50, so I said screw it, I'll take them. They only had one box of 20 and I needed 48, so I had to order the rest. Figure I'll see if the lift guy wants the extras.
Next, I went to the rental place and got a scissors lift with trailer for the evening, 130 bucks plus tax.
I brought the lift home and I moved all the cars out and unloaded the lift. My friend Neil came over early afternoon, and we got started. First on the agenda was putting the cross bar on top of the last lift. We put it on the lift and raised it up to where it needed to go. It was way too heavy to lift on an 8 ft ladder and it is about 8 in higher than the other racks. We had to adjust the towers angles and distances, and finally got it done. We put all the hardware in loosely on all the racks til they are leveled and anchored.
After that, we started running the electric to the racks. We had ran 12/3 to the racks and we were running it from the boxes down to the racks. We bought flexible conduit to run the wire in down to the racks from the boxes and it took about an hour to get the wire pulled through that 1/2" conduit. It sucked. We got the wires connected in the box for the first 2 racks and routed them down to the racks. I pulled the cover off and we were very confused. There were only 2 wires there, not 3. Turns out that lifts only use the red and black wires of the 220, the white wire isn't used, so we didn't need 12/3, we just needed 12/2. So the other 3 racks are all 12/2 now. Sheesh. Hope this helps someone else down the road.
End of the night, all the racks are powered up and functional. Good day of work. The dyno rack is just hooked up temporarily, and it will be permanently wired up when we wire in the aux panel box.
Well ****, I take pictures and then go to post them and they aren't there. I hate this phone. Pics tomorrow.

So today I went to Fastenal, or should I say Orderitall, to pick up my anchor so the lift guy could do his thing tomorrow. Well, they had the 1/2" anchors, that I needed 4 of, in a box of 50, so I said screw it, I'll take them. They only had one box of 20 and I needed 48, so I had to order the rest. Figure I'll see if the lift guy wants the extras.
Next, I went to the rental place and got a scissors lift with trailer for the evening, 130 bucks plus tax.
I brought the lift home and I moved all the cars out and unloaded the lift. My friend Neil came over early afternoon, and we got started. First on the agenda was putting the cross bar on top of the last lift. We put it on the lift and raised it up to where it needed to go. It was way too heavy to lift on an 8 ft ladder and it is about 8 in higher than the other racks. We had to adjust the towers angles and distances, and finally got it done. We put all the hardware in loosely on all the racks til they are leveled and anchored.
After that, we started running the electric to the racks. We had ran 12/3 to the racks and we were running it from the boxes down to the racks. We bought flexible conduit to run the wire in down to the racks from the boxes and it took about an hour to get the wire pulled through that 1/2" conduit. It sucked. We got the wires connected in the box for the first 2 racks and routed them down to the racks. I pulled the cover off and we were very confused. There were only 2 wires there, not 3. Turns out that lifts only use the red and black wires of the 220, the white wire isn't used, so we didn't need 12/3, we just needed 12/2. So the other 3 racks are all 12/2 now. Sheesh. Hope this helps someone else down the road.
End of the night, all the racks are powered up and functional. Good day of work. The dyno rack is just hooked up temporarily, and it will be permanently wired up when we wire in the aux panel box.
Well ****, I take pictures and then go to post them and they aren't there. I hate this phone. Pics tomorrow.
I am certainly no electrician, but I thought that when wires were run in conduit that they should be individual wires and not in a sheath?

I am certainly no electrician, but I thought that when wires were run in conduit that they should be individual wires and not in a sheath?
Correct, but we wanted it to look better and be safer. We are on a tight budget and have to work with what I was able to get. And it looks pretty good to us.

Just think, by posting all this on FBBO; you won’t have to retell this story ever again. Just login & let whomever read it!!!!

Pics, Finally! The damn phone didn't delete them this time. As you can see it is far from perfect, but it safely gets current to the racks. I'm happy. It all works and doesn't pop a breaker.
First pic is of the last completely assembled rack.
20220802_190352.jpg
20220802_190400.jpg
20220802_190412.jpg

Damn, nice shop now that is finished. I envy you guys all with big shops to work in. I have a 2 car garage that I squeeze 3 cars in along with all my parts, equipment, quads etc. However, we have built alot of cars out of my little ole garage.

20210320_161540.jpg

20210320_161519.jpg

20161104_213833 (004).jpg

100_1684.jpg

100_1683.jpg

rsz_20161104_213725_004.jpg

20161104_213747 (004).jpg

Damn, nice shop now that is finished. I envy you guys all with big shops to work in. I have a 2 car garage that I squeeze 3 cars in along with all my parts, equipment, quads etc. However, we have built alot of cars out of my little ole garage.

View attachment 1323380

View attachment 1323381

View attachment 1323382

View attachment 1323383

View attachment 1323384

View attachment 1323385

View attachment 1323386
You are neat and organized. That is my end goal. We worked for 2 years out of one bay of a 2 car garage on our backs and jackstands. It sucked. I started in a big 2 car like yours and have gone from space to space until I am now in my own place. No more rent, no more asshole landlords, no more double bills of electric, gas, water, etc. I am happy.
Your Challenger looks cool. So do your chargers.

So, no conduit for running electrical wires. Drilling through your support post don't know if I would have done that. Is the service at your house going to handle the extra amps needed to run the shop? When ordering the wires for the main did you do a voltage drop calculation on the distance. That is most important. Just asking. Other than that, a grate looking shop and hope you get many years of service out of it.

So, no conduit for running electrical wires. Drilling through your support post don't know if I would have done that. Is the service at your house going to handle the extra amps needed to run the shop? When ordering the wires for the main did you do a voltage drop calculation on the distance. That is most important. Just asking. Other than that, a grate looking shop and hope you get many years of service out of it.
Yeah, already got scolded by my friend the electrician. Yes, an electrician told me which type of wire and gauge to buy. He was the nephew of the 2000 dollar guy. Same with our aux box, we are going to install. He told us what to use and how to do it. And he said that drilling the posts was no real biggie, he just would have done it differently. Both ways get the bulbs lit, lol.

Guy showed up at 11 and left a little after 5:30. He got all 5 racks installed and the dyno anchored as well. I'm really stoked. I lost hope on more than one occasion, but it finally happened today. I couldn't wait to get the cars up in the air and see how well the racks worked. No more laying on my back for me! Next is running air lines and connecting up the air compressors, then wiring up the Aux Panel and wire up the dyno and rack.
20220804_164601.jpg
20220804_180141.jpg

Guy showed up at 11 and left a little after 5:30. He got all 5 racks installed and the dyno anchored as well. I'm really stoked. I lost hope on more than one occasion, but it finally happened today. I couldn't wait to get the cars up in the air and see how well the racks worked. No more laying on my back for me! Next is running air lines and connecting up the air compressors, then wiring up the Aux Panel and wire up the dyno and rack. View attachment 1323829View attachment 1323830
SAWEEEET!!!! :thumbsup:

What a great space it is becoming!

We hung the Aux panel yesterday. The past 2 days have been 2 steps forward, 5 back since yesterday, guess I ran out of good luck for the time being. This is all for now.
20220806_103255.jpg

Ok, we wired in the welder outlet and the 110 20 amp outlets for the back wall. Then we started running the 6g wire for the dyno brake and the 12-2 for the 110-20A outlets to plug the electronics into. We used 1" conduit, which in hindsight was a bit small, but we made it work. We did not have enough wire so, the initial layout did not work. We had to disassemble it all, cut some of it out and then run it all over again. At least this way it will have enough wire. It was miserably hot so we called it a day around 4 pm. At least the air compressors are wired up and working. Now to run air lines.
Oh, and a side note, once again the obvious choice was wrong with using 10-3 wire for the compressors, they are just like the racks and only use the red and black wires, so 10-2 would have worked and saved a bunch of money.

20220807_224922.jpg

20220807_224927.jpg

20220807_224940.jpg

The confusion is the ground. You can get 10-3 or 10-2 w/ground and they both have 3 conductors. You must’ve had 10-3w/g. Shop looks great by the way. What dyno did you get?

The confusion is the ground. You can get 10-3 or 10-2 w/ground and they both have 3 conductors. You must’ve had 10-3w/g. Shop looks great by the way. What dyno did you get?
I have a DynoJet 224XLC, that I've had since 08. Actually our 10-3 has 4 conductors if you count the bare ground wire. We just ran 10-2 once we realized and connected the bare ground to the cases.
And thanks!

I have a DynoJet 224XLC, that I've had since 08. Actually our 10-3 has 4 conductors if you count the bare ground wire. We just ran 10-2 once we realized and connected the bare ground to the cases.
And thanks!
Yep, 10-3w/g has 4 conductors. The chassis dyno would be a great asset to any performance shop and 2000whp capability is sweet.

Yep, 10-3w/g has 4 conductors. The chassis dyno would be a great asset to any performance shop and 2000whp capability is sweet.
Yep, thank you. I bought it new and have used it a lot over the years. I have a line of folks that want their cars tuned and dyno'd. The Dayton area has about 18 or 19 dynos within a 60 mile radius, so demand is low for just getting hp numbers. My business comes from my tuning reputation. I'm getting more carb guys now since I've done a few for guys in the area and they spread the word. Couple that with the fact that every Holley EFI kit I sell gets 1 hour of dyno time or a start up tune, and it keeps me busy, since this is basically a part time gig and a hobby. We need to get your big hemi strapped down to it!

Yep, thank you. I bought it new and have used it a lot over the years. I have a line of folks that want their cars tuned and dyno'd. The Dayton area has about 18 or 19 dynos within a 60 mile radius, so demand is low for just getting hp numbers. My business comes from my tuning reputation. I'm getting more carb guys now since I've done a few for guys in the area and they spread the word. Couple that with the fact that every Holley EFI kit I sell gets 1 hour of dyno time or a start up tune, and it keeps me busy, since this is basically a part time gig and a hobby. We need to get your big hemi strapped down to it!
I was in that area for Midwest Drags but the deer strike pretty much ended that week, lol. I’ve had it on a local dyno and made 1180 at 19psi. Didn’t really push it hard. It’s a non-intercooled, small cam 540 with Gen1 Billet wheel Precision 7675S. I’m not sure it’ll make much more without 60psi on the domes lol

Auto Transport Service
Back