• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump 383hp

So now that you've read all these replies you have to decide: is it less filling OR tastes great !!

The choice between standard and High volume depends on the clearances in the engine, and how much pressure you want at idle.
On a newly build engine, the standard pump works fine. Hot oil pressure at idle may only be 20-30 psi, but should increase with RPM to the setting of the pumps relief valve setting.
The High Volume pump is good on engines with looser clearances so the pressure is usually higher up to the relief valve setting.
Given the same pressure settings, both pumps are pumping the same amount of oil through the engine.
The differences is the stock pump will pump less oil at lower RPM, and the pressure relief valve is usually set lower (maybe 50 psi) than the high volume pump. The high volume pumps seem to be set around 70-80 psi, but you could change the relief spring to lower the pressure if only turning around 5,000 RPM. This sort of goes back to an old saying of having 10 psi for each 1,000 RPM which is really safe in most cases. Normally asperated, the engine oil pressure can be way less of the 10 psi/1,000 RPM.
https://help.summitracing.com/app/a...need-a-high-volume-or-high-pressure-oil-pump?

The differences is the stock pump will pump less oil at lower RPM, and the pressure relief valve is usually set lower (maybe 50 psi) than the high volume pump.

Let's not omit that a very common mod is to change the relief spring or shim the stock one in the stock pump to increase pressure.

I'll repeat what 451 said.

A high volume pump at 60 psi will not remove one more drop of oil from the oil pan than a std pump at 60 psi in the same motor and same rpm.

I only run std volume pumps. And I have loose bearing clearances and full time rocker oiling.

If you have 15 psi at idle, you don't need a high volume pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back