• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil temperature gauges - where to mount sender unit on small block ?

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
So, I took on board some discussion a while back about the oil temperature being just as important as the pressure....as well as general water temperature.

I have a small sweep Autometer gauge (matches a few others) and was wondering where you guys fitted the bung for the sender unit. The instructions say to weld or braze a bung in the pan, but is there another suitable location?
Just asking before I go and do something crazy or expensive or unnecessary.

This is for my 1968 Dodge A100 with the 360 block.

Thanks.

This confused me at first.
I wondered what function the gauge would actually provide. It registers a High number....now what do you do?
Maybe pull over and shut it down?
I mean no offense. I have never seen a gauge like this in any car.
Regardless....
The oil in the pan is not under pressure which to me, would mean that the temperature might be lower.
The LA and Magnum V8s only have the one threaded pressure port at the rear near the distributor, right? Big blocks have the two:

601 O.JPG

On a small block, maybe you could use a "T" at the standard pressure port at the back?

This confused me at first.
I wondered what function the gauge would actually provide. It registers a High number....now what do you do?
Maybe pull over and shut it down?
I mean no offense. I have never seen a gauge like this in any car.
Regardless....
The oil in the pan is not under pressure which to me, would mean that the temperature might be lower.
The LA and Magnum V8s only have the one threaded pressure port at the rear near the distributor, right? Big blocks have the two:

View attachment 1506082

On a small block, maybe you could use a "T" at the standard pressure port at the back?
Some people think the oil temperature is critical......I guess it matters to some.

I'd also like to strangle the guy who put the hold down clamp hole for the distributor behind the oil pressure sender unit. Very difficult to access with a large distributor.

I run ne in my pan. Water temp can be decieving if you get on it alot and the block is full of rust. Just another tool in the box.

It seems to make sense to put it in the pan - I guess it doesn't matter where, as long as it doesn't foul anything else up.

A few inches above the bottom is where mine is so it stays covered.

An Oil temperature gauge was standard in the 2005 FPV GT I owned previously.
Handy gauge, especially to know when you could really start revving it.
The coolant was at operating temperature in 5 minutes but the oil would take 10 or 15. Also handy on the track, if it gets too hot and the oil thins out you can back off for a bit.
s-l640.jpg
$_58.jpeg.jpg

Oil temp is a better measure of engine temp, and when it is too hot. You can have normal operating water temp but the engine is not really warmed up.

I wonder if there is some type of sandwich available for between the block and the filter, with a port.

The oil is designed to be cooled by the water jackets inside the motor.
Finned aluminum valve covers help out as well.

If I were looking to add a oil temp sensor I would probably drill & tap a 1/8-27 NPT hole in the drain plug... The drain plug is 1/2-20 so there's plenty of room, generally the plug is at the rear of the sump pointing out the back so it's somewhat protected...

Adding a bung is fine but to do it properly requires removing the pan...

Roger,
I read a similar article about the importance of oil temperature years back. Since I don't have any real specs on my 440 and was still having cooling issues with my electric fans. I wandered if there was any blow-by or something that could be also causing oil temps to rise as well. So I bought a sandwich type adapter to hook up an adjustable oil cooler & gauge. The pictures aren't very good and your engine being a small block will be different as well as your vehicle being an A-100. But here they are:

DSCF0170.JPG

DSCF0173.JPG

I also have a deep sump trans pan with a bung in it for a temperature gauge. The gauge mounts under my dash. I know it sounds crazy, but I like to monitor everything I can.

HPIM1999.JPG

Last edited:
If I were looking to add a oil temp sensor I would probably drill & tap a 1/8-27 NPT hole in the drain plug... The drain plug is 1/2-20 so there's plenty of room, generally the plug is at the rear of the sump pointing out the back so it's somewhat protected...

Adding a bung is fine but to do it properly requires removing the pan...
I'm liking that idea......thanks. :thumbsup:

By The way, the oil temperature gauge is just strapped around my steering column. The gauge is not electric, it's (thermostatic?), as it runs through a thin tubing.

Auto Transport Service
Back