• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint vinyl

paul1969cars

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Question

I cleaned and prepped sun visors. Added bulldog adhesion promoter. Let setup 15 mins or so

then sprayed paint

Did this a few months ago. Kept them in warm room

they are still a little tacky

what could it be

strange

What did you use for paint/dye?

I have painted a quite a few vinyl items for boats over the years and have always used SEM products with good results. Without looking it up, they have/had a prep product that I also used to clean the vinyl. I never tried an adhesion promoter though and if I had to guess I would look there for your tacky problem. I am speculating, but maybe the solvents in the promoter weren't completely cooked off before the paint went on. FWIW, I have had the paint wear through over time but never peel off.

Vinyl needs to be sprayed with Vinyl Dye and not paint!!! Don't know where that idea came from but it isn't a good way to paint those visors. SIM Vinyl Dye is the only product I will ever use when shooting Vinyl...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I used Bulldog adhesion promoter and Kolor Korrect paint on my vinyl door panels and they came out great. Not tacky. Maybe the promoter was too thick or not set up?

I've used Herb's interior paint several times with great results. Have heard of others being great, but specifically made for the material it's to cover. An adhesion promotor was suggested, but I thoroughly cleaned the vinyl and leather with a grease cutting detergent. Have used other paint products that didn't color well so stayed with Herb's.

I painted a set with no promoter and they turned out great.

I used herbs interior paint and it looks great. Cant say how it’s held up, still in project stage.
IMG_8031.png

IMG_8032.png

I've used different paint with adhesion promoter. A couple pieces seemed tacky for a long time. Fortunately, we have a local paint shop that can mix vinyl-dye.

Auto Transport Service
Back