• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PDB TO MDB

snake

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
My 71 has PDB,would like to know what all parts do i need to change over to MDB.Iwant more cam,i know a vaccum can can help with supply more vaccum,but.thanks for the help.

Have you considered keeping the vacuum brakes and getting a electric vacuum pump to boost it. Stay away from the cheaper ones and I think you would like it.

The manual brake pedal usually has more leverage with different geometry then a power assist. Easiest to find what you need out of a manual brake car.

Last edited:
Part of my thinking is once I had the gromet on the booster pop off very hard brake lucky there was no one in front of me things would off bean BAD.

15/16" master? None of my cars have power brakes, 2 don't even have power steering, thinking of even dumping that 3rd one for that too.

OK brake pedal from a manual brake car,15/16 master cyl, I would think the push rod too is the master a bold on , on the firewall,and can I use my proporting valve.

Your brake pedal is the same.

you need:
manual brake firewall plate
manual brake MC pushrod- manual drum brake is same rod
manual brake disc brake master cylinder

I got a master for a manual disc brake 1973 Charger and it works perfect. I don't know the bore size. It needs to have the bore of the piston cut for a retaning ring to retain the pushrod.

Part of my thinking is once I had the gromet on the booster pop off very hard brake lucky there was no one in front of me things would off bean BAD.
You always have brakes. You just have to push very hard. The booster is only an assist. It has zero to do with the hydraulic application.

Nice any thing else this is going to be next year project, I have the comp 268 cam even my engine builder said it's a small cam.i like and had the 284 474 purple cam.just did a 323 to 355 gear,next is a 3 tho converter. Thanks for putting the brakes on my 71.

R413 summed it up as far as the items you will need.
I did this conversion on my 1971 Runner.
Engine bay 2024-01-18 062022.jpg

The only item I changed was the master cylinder push rod - I bought an adjustable one for mine.

my '65 coronet has manual disc brakes. i've tried 15/16" master cylinder, 1" master and 1.03 master. 1.03 was the best, 15/16" the worst. all in all none of it stops worth a crap compared to my '69's power 11" drums.

I'm gonna get clobbered here, my Road Runner has the original master, distribution block, has disc's in front, would bet that it was drum, and it stops just fine. Pushing too hard to stop must be up there with power steering or manual. Is what you are used to. Yes, if I have to change something, I will probably step up, but it stops just fine.

OK gents I got the brake push rod from ebay 71-74 B Body manual brake car.next is a master cylinder from a 74 Charger,who sells the manual brake fire wall plate.cheers

Got all parts this week,thanksssss again all.

20240125_142047.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back