• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Percentage of survivors?

pabster

Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Hey gang- this is a totally random question...

Has anyone ever heard of a rough estimate of how many B-Bodies are still around? As in a percentage of how many are left vs. how many were made in the first place? The more I appreciate my Charger, the more I wonder how many are out there. Maybe asking how many B-Bodies are around is too general... hmmm.

How about an estimate of how many B-Body Chargers are still around?

Any guesses, estimates, thoughts, data? I don't even know where to begin to find the above percentage, but if anyone would know it's someone on this fine board.

Attachments

• st-louis.jpg
    st-louis.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 272
I have often thought of that myself but can't offer anything conclusive. One thing I do know is there was a good estimate of how many Chargers they used filming the Dukes of Hazzard show back in the 80's. I recall reading back when the show was on the air that with the total number of 69 Chargers made their contribution to the species extinction was hardly a threat. It was also added in that article that if they wound up with an R/T or something they wouldn't use it for the jump scene.

Just an observation on my part but it seems the very special cars are more likely to be around in larger numbers than the general rolling stock.

it would be interesting to find out.If they made approx 35-40,000 chargers for each year 68-74 chargers.over the yrs you know some got wrecked,stolen,stripped,etc.I've several in junkyards as we all have,but if i was to take a guess i would say there are maybe at least 75-80% of the chargers are still around.That is just my uneducated guess though.

I bet around 20% of all B Bodies produced are still around, in junk yards, being restored, or driven, total. No more.

I have read somewhere that about 10% of any vehicles after 40-50 years survives. Due to wrecks, rust, in junkyards, canabalized, parts etc. Have to remember to back in the day, they all were just old cars. Nobody was really "preserving" them for future generations. That is my two cents worth.

Just an observation on my part but it seems the very special cars are more likely to be around in larger numbers than the general rolling stock.

Awesome! So that does that mean that my bone-stock '73 Satellite will be worth more than a Hemi Cuda 'vert some day??

/kidding... but I wish it were true.

it would be interesting to find out.If they made approx 35-40,000 chargers for each year 68-74 chargers.over the yrs you know some got wrecked,stolen,stripped,etc.I've several in junkyards as we all have,but if i was to take a guess i would say there are maybe at least 75-80% of the chargers are still around.That is just my uneducated guess though.

OK, 30-40K Chargers produced from 68-74. Around 280,000 total. I'm guessing no more than 20% are still around as well, although this is a complete guess. That would mean around 56,000 Chargers from those years still on the road. That number seems high, but then again I've only seen three 3rd gen Chargers like mine in the last year where I live. The North Bay is not a haven for old Mopars... more new Maseratis than our cars. :laughing6:

"it seems the very special cars are more likely to be around in larger numbers than the general rolling stock", so my base 318 is even more rare! Ha.

"it seems the very special cars are more likely to be around in larger numbers than the general rolling stock", so my base 318 is even more rare! Ha.

True, but the production of the very special cars is usually pretty small to begin with. Percentage wise you might be able to account for more of the total HEMI car production, which was something like 10,000 units from 66-71 than the slant 6 Darts. Isn't there a HEMI E body that all seven of (or some small number) been accounted for? These cars most likely didn't get driven to the ground and get thrown away and any that are gone either got wrecked or parted out for the engine. The guy I got my 66 HEMI carbs and manifolds from said he has been parting out cars since the early 70's. He told me a story that back then a 66 HEMI Coronet convertible came in to his shop on a tow truck and he pulled the motor and tranny and junked the car. I asked if the car was wrecked or damaged and he said "no, it was perfect. I had the motor sold to a drag racer".

Unfortunately Rare or Survivors, sometimes less desirable base slant 6 or 318 survivors still around, doesn't usually always mean worth more... The Big Block B-Bodies will almost always, demand more money, even if the numbers are higher or in worse condition, survivors or not... That's the market appeal for Muscle car era cars... As for #'s that are still around IMO Registered maybe 10%-20% max & that's here in Calif., Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Utah, {maybe even Oklahoma & Nebraska} dryer aired climates, where cars don't rust away to nothing, as easily or as often, as other wetter &/or colder parts of the country... I was up in Redding & Red Bluff Ca. areas last week end & saw many old cars in, many fields & rural areas, farm land/ranches, especially driving up & down I-5, there are so many cars that are out of the system completely, not been driven or registered for so long, I'm thinking the #'s could be even much higher, if someone could get a better handle on the car out of the system, it could be doubled, Maybe...

I hear there are more Mustangs, Chevelles and Camaros around today than were actually produced ...... :)

Chevelles

I hear there are more Mustangs, Chevelles and Camaros around today than were actually produced ...... :)

How true, at the show on Saturday, was a ton of Camaros and Chevelles and Mustangs...lol

if i remember my stats right, they produced about 45,000 chargers for '71.if you multiply for the years you were asking plus add in the RR's,coronets that they produced,that number could be higher.Any mopar statistic book will tell you how many b-bodies were made in any given year.

Since I have been restoring my 67 Coronet i have not see 1 out on the road. Not anywhere in a three state area in which I drive. The closest I got was a 68 Coronet last year.

I bet the number is pretty low as a percentage. I don't know about you guys, but how many of us have canabalized a complete car to finish our builds? That being said...it takes two to make 1...that cuts out 50% right there of whats left. And then of those left, the 4-doors and undesirables get the axe...those are huge production numbers. Which explains why my 67 2-door post seems to be all alone.

will be even more alone at a show when done...not too many runnin around with a 5.7 hemi...

if that is the case, then my 71 charger w/383 4bbl should be close to ultra rare since they made only 496 of them.That's less then how many they made of the 70 superbirds.But how many superbirds are left now?

Auto Transport Service
Back