• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up new motor this weekend may need smaller CAM.....

Here is what I would consider if I were you. Change the cam and the intake and carb and then drive it. I use the Indy dual plane with a Holley 850 DP. Do you know if the eng was built with good quench so that hopefully you can run pump gas because at 10.5 comp and aluminum heads with the right cam and quench you should easily be able to run pump gas.

Here is my combo and I drive it all the time all over and on 2 hr road trips with no problems.
My 493 is 10.6 comp with a 440Source bottom end with D-dish pistons to have 10.6 comp with the Indy EZ heads I use. My cam is a custom grind solid flat tappet that is 264 & 270 @ .050 with .585 & .592 lift and it has a 110 LSA. I have it in the eng on a 106 ICL. I run the Indy dual plane intake with a Holley 850 DP. I do use Hughes 1.6 roller tip rockers which puts my lift about .630. I built it with good quench and I run 92 pump all the time with no pinging at all. In fact I have never had race gas in the car. I wanted a good driving car that would run in the 10's just the way I drive it and it has done all I wanted. It runs and drives great and is very consisdent at the track. And I love the fact that the last 2 times I raced I never even lifted the hood all day at the track. As some have said you could run it like it is and see how you like it with enough converter. I use 4.30's with a 30 x 9 tire and when I run 60 mph I am turning about 3100 rpm. Good luck with it what ever you decide but you did buy a nice eng even though it may not be just what you wanted. And on my old 440 I ran it to 6200 RPM all the time with LY rods and it never gave me any problems. Ron

View attachment 301726View attachment 301725
The picture above shows my new carb (with adapter) on my Victor Single Plane (for your reference). The other picture shows the 2 1/2 "hood scoop spacer" I had to fab to get clearance for the carb (with adapter) and air cleaner.
I think a 440-2 (with carb) would fit under a "stock" hemi scoop...but may not leave room for an air cleaner unless you bought a top plate and a bottom plate and then found like a 1" tall air cleaner element.
If you had to use a carb adapter (that is about 2" tall) to adapt a 4150 carb to the 4500 base 440-2 manifold that might not fit.
You mention in a post that you might be able to fab a 4150 to 4500 adapter since no one makes one..... but you could probably buy a 4500 to 4150 adapter and do some work to "reverse" the mounting....but mounting a 4150 carb (with an adapter) onto the HUGE 4500 carb opening on the INDY 440-2 intake might just make the air/fuel velocity just "fall on its face"....don't know how this work for sure but it could be a problem.
I just bought a brand new offering from Holley (thru Summit). It is their all new #80688 Sportsman 4500 Dominator and it only cost $719.00. I mounted it on my Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane using a Transdapt 4500 to 4150 adapter. I set the transfer slots to .020", turned the 4 corner idle screws out 1.5 turns, set the float levels and set the fuel pressure to 7.5lbs then started it up. It fired up IMMEDIATELY and sat there and idled perfectly at 1300RPM WITH NO OTHER ADJUSTMENTS after firing it up. I let it warm up, put the trans in 1st gear and crammed the pedal to the floor and it lit up the rear tires with absolutly ZERO drama, no hick-ups, bogging or spitting. Can't wait to get it to the drag strip.
Maybe just keep your 440-2 Intake, buy the #80688 Dominator (your big heads and big cam should handle the 1050 carb just fine) and buy a 5" tall scoop and you could be home free on that end of things.I am sure you will have time to try things out....VN Fiberglass make a 5" Hemi Scoop that would solve all your problems...it is $160 plus frt from Chicago area.
PS: Canyon has a Harwood "bubble type" scoop for sale for $150 (it is a $300 scoop) that you could have mounted on your hood....it would also solve your problem...and that scoop is a mean looking scoop...check it out on for sale forum.

That car is absolutely gorgeous and I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of everything. The Dominator would be any easy solution to the height issues and I was kicking around running one anyway. Let me know how it acts (Maybe cruise it around town for awhile) and I'll be in touch to see your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I would consider if I were you. Change the cam and the intake and carb and then drive it. I use the Indy dual plane with a Holley 850 DP. Do you know if the eng was built with good quench so that hopefully you can run pump gas because at 10.5 comp and aluminum heads with the right cam and quench you should easily be able to run pump gas.

Here is my combo and I drive it all the time all over and on 2 hr road trips with no problems.
My 493 is 10.6 comp with a 440Source bottom end with D-dish pistons to have 10.6 comp with the Indy EZ heads I use. My cam is a custom grind solid flat tappet that is 264 & 270 @ .050 with .585 & .592 lift and it has a 110 LSA. I have it in the eng on a 106 ICL. I run the Indy dual plane intake with a Holley 850 DP. I do use Hughes 1.6 roller tip rockers which puts my lift about .630. I built it with good quench and I run 92 pump all the time with no pinging at all. In fact I have never had race gas in the car. I wanted a good driving car that would run in the 10's just the way I drive it and it has done all I wanted. It runs and drives great and is very consisdent at the track. And I love the fact that the last 2 times I raced I never even lifted the hood all day at the track. As some have said you could run it like it is and see how you like it with enough converter. I use 4.30's with a 30 x 9 tire and when I run 60 mph I am turning about 3100 rpm. Good luck with it what ever you decide but you did buy a nice eng even though it may not be just what you wanted. And on my old 440 I ran it to 6200 RPM all the time with LY rods and it never gave me any problems. Ron

I was told it was a pump gas motor and never needed race gas, The good thing IMO is that this is a ten year old build that was recently freshend up with new valves and a valve job, push rods, bearing, gaskets, seals, and cylinder clean up. The old owner said it ran so good he didn't want to make any changes to the combination. So with a good tens years under its belt I think its a solid piece with hopefully no surprises.

Before you do a downright stupid thing like de-tuning and selling off parts, toss it in and give it a go. You can always change the rear gear ratio cause it sounds as if it's got the juice, just not the economy. Who knows, you may like a stout engine in the car. If all else fails, maybe "super-bee" will buy your goodies for the price he guestimated.

My 493 is 10.6 comp with a 440Source bottom end with D-dish pistons to have 10.6 comp with the Indy EZ heads I use. My cam is a custom grind solid flat tappet that is 264 & 270 @ .050 with .585 & .592 lift and it has a 110 LSA. I have it in the eng on a 106 ICL. I run the Indy dual plane intake with a Holley 850 DP. I do use Hughes 1.6 roller tip rockers which puts my lift about .630. Ron

Ahh, Ron. Assuming a .390+/- lobe with a 1.6 rocker and zero lash your at .630ish lift, now subtract the lash and your just a little over .600 at the valve and that's if you have zero valve train flex.

Auto Transport Service
Back