• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pin stripes?

wedgee

Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
Does any body have pictures or actually own an original unmolested 68 roadrunner that has pinstripes on each side?
I've seen a half dozen "Old" car commerials that show actual pin stripes...I can't tell if their dual stripes or single.
I figured for a long time that they must have been dealer add-ons but seeing these commerials now, I'm guessing they must have been factory installed...

I'm restoring my roadrunner and would like to replace the stripes. The original photos I have show it with stripes, but can't tell if they are black or maybe even green....
Does any one know for sure the designs or colors or anything about them???

I know on my dad's original 69 road runner it's got dual white stripes on both sides.

yep, they are good looking and definitely are dual pin stripes.
thanks

I've seen both, single and dual. So far, all the single stripes were painted, the dual were vinyl.
This is a 1968, my friend at work has a '69 that looks like this but is a black stripe; painted on. He got the car new and still has original paint.
1666928376730.png

69 rr could have a painted on single stripe, or a vinyl double stripe. I'm not familiar with the 68s. Info would be on the broadcast sheet if you have one.
Edit: Photon 440 tree'd me. Of course, we're both right, lol.

Last edited:
'68 stripe was optional and a single painted stripe. '69s were available with a single painted stripe or the dual reflective tape stripe.
Richard (Rick) Ehrenberg @ Mopar Action probably has the factory diagram on their website or if you contact him.

I've seen both, single and dual. So far, all the single stripes were painted, the dual were vinyl.
This is a 1968, my friend at work has a '69 that looks like this but is a black stripe; painted on. He got the car new and still has original paint.
View attachment 1364793
Wow! Thats my car! LOL. actually, the black and white photo I have shows my stripe possibly black.
I think I'm gonna go with this style in dk green.
Thanks

'68 stripe was optional and a single painted stripe. '69s were available with a single painted stripe or the dual reflective tape stripe.
Richard (Rick) Ehrenberg @ Mopar Action probably has the factory diagram on their website or if you contact him.
Thank you for that! I'll contact him.

Another great source of absolutely accurate info is Hamtramck_Historical - trim & color selectors, options, and tons of info.
Anyone interested in Mopars should have it bookmarked.

Those are definitely not factory-applied.
And '68 Satellites had a molding along that top edge.
Also, the trunk lid trim panel would be light argent where someone painted it maroon, like a Road Runner Decor Group car would be.

I would venture to say the majority of cars for all the big three had dealer added stripes in the sixties and early seventies. Large profit margin for little effort. Do you have info on any stripe/kits added at the production plant that did NOT have an RPO code available on that model built. Of course that excludes contracted private company retrofits and mods.

Looks like the post with a Satellite got deleted.
Sales codes for the stripes in '68 start with "31" and a 3rd digit denotes color or deleted.

Auto Transport Service
Back