• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plans for my stock stroke 440 build, any input appreciated

RON71rr

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
Plans for my stock stroke 440 build :

Have a good standard bore 69 440 block, stock forged crank, new Victor 440 intake, new MP 590 cam, and new Crane 1.5 gold roller rockers.

Planning on going with Ross #99500 pistons and Manley H beam rods, Edelbrock RPM cnc ported 75 cc combustion chamber, approx 13.2 :1 compression, bottom end girdle, Milodon oiling system 2" primary headers, 950 Holley ultra HP or Quickfuel carb, will be running a 727 with trans brake, car is a 71 Plymouth B-body that has been back halfted current set up is leaf springs, planning on switching to a ladder bar set up or 4 link has a Dana 60 with 4.88's and 33x17 slicks, car will be around 3200 pounds, hope for mid to low 10's

Attachments

• 1ABIGTIRE.jpg
    1ABIGTIRE.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 291
Good luck with it, I have not seen a big tire 71 Road Runner in a loooooong time.

She looks good.

-Mark

Similar to my engine..
Why not go with the VICTOR heads too?

I'm thinking with that much compression you would go with more head, cam and carb.......and shoot for the 9's. Think about offset grinding the crank for 470 cubes using a 2.200 bearing (GM size). With ported Stage VI heads (old combo), high 9's is possible. Going mid 10's with less compression isn't hard to do and is less expensive on fuel....

Cranky is right. I've seen a 440 @ 10.5:1 with a cam smaller than that make a conservative 580 HP on 91 octane, and that should get you well into the 10's.......well, at sea level anyway.

Not a bad sounding combo. It should run strong and as others have said you can step up in a few places and really run good. I take it this is a race car only with that comp ? Ron

Not a bad sounding combo. It should run strong and as others have said you can step up in a few places and really run good. I take it this is a race car only with that comp ? Ron
Yes race only, with maybe 1 or 2 times a year, tire change and 1.5 mile run to the local drive in burger place, no street time other than that, at all. would prefer to stay with non off-set rockers and standard port height and location exhaust port cylinder heads, may have a Complete B1 set up from a relative in the future, makes just over 1000 HP NA, in it's current tune, on Koffels dyno.

Plans for my stock stroke 440 build :

Have a good standard bore 69 440 block, stock forged crank, new Victor 440 intake, new MP 590 cam, and new Crane 1.5 gold roller rockers.

Planning on going with Ross #99500 pistons and Manley H beam rods, Edelbrock RPM cnc ported 75 cc combustion chamber, approx 13.2 :1 compression, bottom end girdle, Milodon oiling system 2" primary headers, 950 Holley ultra HP or Quickfuel carb, will be running a 727 with trans brake, car is a 71 Plymouth B-body that has been back halfted current set up is leaf springs, planning on switching to a ladder bar set up or 4 link has a Dana 60 with 4.88's and 33x17 slicks, car will be around 3200 pounds, hope for mid to low 10's
Good basic combo. At 3200 I would see no problem running 10.30s. I do however see a big issue getting to 3200 lbs race weight. That's roughly 3000 empty. I don't see it. That car from the factory is 4000+lbs race weight to start with, and that's w/o a cage.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back