• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help Problem with 74 Roadrunner 318

Welcome to the site. Double checking this is pretty simple. If the holes are pointed up, and considering your high volume oil pump, you could be flooding the valve covers with oil.
I've been on this site for many, many years.

NO suction on the PCV? Time for a compression/leakdown test. Best to do both. Broken oil ring, maybe compression too.

NO suction on the PCV? Time for a compression/leakdown test. Best to do both. Broken oil ring, maybe compression too.
The pcv has suction but I took the pcv out and plugged the hole I also took off the brake booster hose to rule any of that out as well

If you happen to have a set of old valve covers lying around, cut one of them open on the top and install it on the engine. Even a small opening would already be enough.
Then start the engine and observe, if you are flooding the heads with oil you will see it.
If the heads starts filling up with oil the engine will suck the oil through the valve guides.

Okay to follow back up with my past post I torn the motor back down replaced the rings with steel rings honed the cylinders replaced the oil pump with a standard one put a set of J heads to full that out and a different intake as well. STILL smoking the same! I don’t understand

I was doing some 318 research for myself and stumbled upon your post. Are you running and external oil filter? Have you looked to see if the oil drain backs in the head are clear down into the block? Or better yet, you've already figured it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back