• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible scam?

peabodyracin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
A new member on here contacted me recently about a part I'd advertised a while back. We communicated back and forth a few times. He finally indicated he'd take it and asked for my paypal address. Said payment would come the next day. Messages were in good English, grammar was normal.

That was 4 days ago. I'd messaged back asking if he changed his mind; no response. Been checking paypal but am not sure what if anything a scammer can do with just your paypal id.

Thoughts or previous unpleasant experiences with this?

It is usually the other way. They come on here and see a WTB ad then message you saying they have said part

Sounds like he changed his mind or just got busy, not much you can do with a PayPal address except spam you emails for penis enlargement. Ghosting is poplar these days where people just disappear without a word, could be that also

yeah that happens all the time,sometimes even with members here.
ive gotten stuff out packed it up,gotten shipping quotes and then they fall off the end of the earth.
just makes me shake my head and put it back in storage.

as far as them using your paypal addy for something,i dont think they can.
keep an eye on the account and get ahold of paypal immediately if you see some unknown charges.

The PayPal account I use always has a $35 balance. Never had an issue with someone doing something sneaky on PayPal.
Buyer may be preoccupied and might reappear. It sucks when you have to put parts back. I estimate shipping and nothing gets package until the sale is complete. Another good step I learned was getting USPS & UPS shipping cost online, that alone made life easier. Good luck.

Last edited:
yeah that happens all the time,sometimes even with members here.
ive gotten stuff out packed it up,gotten shipping quotes and then they fall off the end of the earth.
just makes me shake my head and put it back in storage.

as far as them using your paypal addy for something,i dont think they can.
keep an eye on the account and get ahold of paypal immediately if you see some unknown charges.
Same here a well known member ask for quotes and I ran and got it and then he blew me off. You should be good.

Same here a well known member ask for quotes and I ran and got it and then he blew me off. You should be good.
this reminds me,
that i should also admit openly that there are times ive completely forgotten about providing quotes.
it goes both ways.
there are some here i havent forgotten tho,
like jerry hall for the left hand studs and odcics for the brass pieces.
i just havent gotten to those tractor trailers yet.
( although i have sorted a bunch of the brass looking for that specific part.)

Thanks all! It's always nice to be able to use the collective knowledge base here.

A new member on here contacted me recently about a part I'd advertised a while back. We communicated back and forth a few times. He finally indicated he'd take it and asked for my paypal address. Said payment would come the next day. Messages were in good English, grammar was normal.

That was 4 days ago. I'd messaged back asking if he changed his mind; no response. Been checking paypal but am not sure what if anything a scammer can do with just your paypal id.

Thoughts or previous unpleasant experiences with this?
If at any time you have concerns about a message sent by anyone here, you can forward the content to any Moderator for a look....in confidence as well. Believe it or not there are some dishonest people lurking here....however this may be a case of totally innocent miscommunication.

Any posts that are visible and look suspicious should be reported immediately - do not engage with clever replies...a real scammer will enjoy that interaction. Example as in picture below....

upload_2020-12-17_7-0-25.png

Ghosting happens more often than u think. I have 10 packages ready to ship. These are agree’d to prices and shipping. The guys give me their complete addy then get my pay pal addy then I never hear from them again. I message them and get no response. I give them a week then move on. Kim

Last edited:
People are people. Some you let in your life for a long time and some for just a moment. This is their moment.

My favorite is when you have made a deal with someone and then they fail to respond to you soon afterwards. AND they have been on FBBO plus have looked at your message last sent to them.

Auto Transport Service
Back