• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump questions

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
Last week I replaced some bushings in the front end of the Charger and had it aligned. The setup for the steering is:
Rubber bushings in LCA, Moog offset UCA bushings. Poly strut rod bushings. Newer ball joints. Firm Feel Stage 3 steering box with Fast Ratio pitman and idler arms. Steering ratio is between 11.8 and 12.0 to 1 with the fast ratio arms. Welded K member with gussets to steering box mount.
The P/s pump is a rebuilt unit. I have an inline cooler on it. The steering effort is heavy. Yeah, Most Mopars suffer from the OVERboosted OEM setup, but mine feels just the opposite. It never jumps, surges or squeals the belt though. I'm sure that the pump is working because steering effort with the engine off if waaaaay higher.
The pump has a 5 7/8" or 6" pulley and it is bent. I planned on installing another of similar size, but just found a 5" pulley on another pump. The pulley is 15% smaller and would be spinning that much faster. I am curious if this would make any difference. Do these saginaw pumps reach a point where the boost tops out and increases in RPM make no difference? In other words, if the current pulley spins at 2000 RPMs and the smaller pulley spins 2300 at the same engine speed, does this equal more boost?

most p/s pumps have a presure control valve inside that regulates them.not sure of the cutoff point,so i dont know if the smaller pulley will make a diff or not.all the dificulty of your steering is the fast ratio stuff.works great at upper speeds,but sucks at low speed.

Auto Transport Service
Back