• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PPG Omni Line Thoughts?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Anyone use PPG Omni line base paint? If so your thoughts please…..

It’s cheap paint. It sprays fine. The color match isn’t great. It’s says you location is HOT, And if you have lots of sun and UV it will kill it. Other than that?

I like to use quality paints like a urethane so it doesn’t turn to garbage on your project.

Doesn't cover as well as the higher line paints so you'll use more. That will offset some of the cost savings.

I've had no issues with it at all. However, I only use it on underhood and undercarriage parts where I don't want to bother with clear coating. Prime it, paint it, done !! Never needed more than a tack coat and a final coat.

I used it on my 74 Charger since it is a car that will be driven by my grandson. It took 4 coats of color and 3 clear coats for good coverage. I had them mix 2 gallons of color at the same time. It was great for the trunk and engine bay. Just okay for rest of car. I got it for a very good price though. For a show car only, I would have gone the next line up on the paint.
Terry W.

Charger 1 Dec 2020.jpg

It’s cheap paint. It sprays fine. The color match isn’t great. It’s says you location is HOT, And if you have lots of sun and UV it will kill it. Other than that?

I like to use quality paints like a urethane so it doesn’t turn to garbage on your project.

I thought this was a Utethane? Isn’t the clear what has the UV inhibitors?

Omni is acrylic enamel. There is a reason is cheap $$

it’s easy to work with, but the durability isn’t there like urethane.

Yes when you use base clear the clear is the durable paint, base don’t have any hardener either.

when people use it for jambs and underhood, they use single stage.

Looks like there are 3 lines of Omni one being acrylic enamel the other two acrylic Urethane. I was quoted for the midline urethane. But it looks like nobody thinks the Omni line is worth using. Looking at Deltron and Automotive Art. Not being in the business of experiencing using the different paints I am at a disadvantage in trying to figure what to use vs cost…..
Just spoke to an Automotive Arts dealer and got my color priced for both 2:1 and 1:1 mix ($425/$680) more than Omni but I want a quality paint and clear thats gonna last in this climate which is the worst for sun fade.

Omni is acrylic enamel. There is a reason is cheap $$

it’s easy to work with, but the durability isn’t there like urethane.

Yes when you use base clear the clear is the durable paint, base don’t have any hardener either.

when people use it for jambs and underhood, they use single stage.

Please see my last post re urethane Omni. I plan on using a single stage for the interior yes.

The three Omni lines but I hear you guys clearly….

5F32F002-30D3-4086-83AA-C65ABBFBA66E.png

Southern Polyurathane orange but Barry only makes 3 reds, orange, black and white. The Duster, Dart and Valiant are Motobase and Southern Polyurathane Universal Clear.
Different shades of orange or just one? Why is he limited on color creation? Did you use their clear as well?

Different shades of orange or just one? Why is he limited on color creation? Did you use their clear as well?

he is a small business and the best epoxy primer and clears on the market keep him busy enough. One shade, Barry Orange. I only will use his primers and clears.

he is a small business and the best epoxy primer and clears on the market keep him busy enough. One shade, Barry Orange. I only will use his primers and clears.
Been reading some very complementary things about SPI and Barry on other forums. I’ll give him a call or contact him if I can. Thanks Jim!

I planned on using Deltron on mine but there is no color mix for ‘64 EE1 so I used Omni color with Deltron clear over it. Covers as well as Deltron, used both many times. The clear is what keeps the UV out.
FF69E8CE-ABC3-460D-A1F9-779937EBED41.jpeg

Don’t do it! The clear WILL delaminate. Not tomorrow, next week or next year. But you’ll be looking at it blistering sometime.
I used it for some cheap car projects and within 3 years. Pop pop pop!

Auto Transport Service
Back